Singapore Expats

Average salaries in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
deelady

Post by deelady » Tue, 18 Dec 2007 3:39 pm

Hey
I must say, this is a very interesting and informative thread for me.

I am still a student, graduating from poly only coming feb. This somehow makes me know where i stand when i am out.

It does worry me somehow, then again it motivates me to be an expat soon. haha.

Would like to do is being in Logistics Sector a good choice?
Do any here have words of wisdom for a student? Would be greatly appreciated. What kind of salary can a undergrad and a grad look for?

Thanks

travellingcircus

Post by travellingcircus » Wed, 19 Dec 2007 1:31 am

It would seem the information on salaries and salary packages is very complex. There have been a few questions about whether sing100k ids enough to live and I am still a bit confused about the response.

It seems that a 2 bed condo would cost around 2500k a month as a min.As expats we also have our expenses in our home country to maintain. But from what I can work out a salary of 90-100k would be plenty for a family to live comfortably. perhaps i has miscalculated something?

Would appreciate any comments.

:)

samuel.faith

Post by samuel.faith » Thu, 20 Dec 2007 11:15 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:If you are a Myanmar national you will probably be looking at 1800~2000 SGD/mo max. I know this is not what you want to hear but thats the hard facts.
Hi,

I understand I cannot get high paying jobs initially without securing a high educational qualification. What I want to know is if I can certainly secure a job with minimum pay of SGD1500. And what kind of job I can get.

Sam

cfview

Post by cfview » Thu, 27 Dec 2007 2:09 pm

All the conversations above, with pay in range of $100k ~ 200k. Does the package include other benefits like medical, dental, cpf ext? Or it's just lump sum payment without the other benefits?

lasingpros

will 7500SGD be good enough

Post by lasingpros » Mon, 31 Dec 2007 2:46 am

Dear All,
I'm currently working in Europe and getting 70000€/yr. I'm getting a job offer in singapore which is 90000S$/yr. I heared taxes in singapore are quite low so will the offer be equal to what I get in europe?.Also will I be able to get get tax reliefs for wife and child as I get in europe.
If I get 7500S$/month what will be the saving capacity for a person with a wife and a small baby of four months?.
How much will b the living expenses, baby related expenses.Please advice.

blades29

Re: will 7500SGD be good enough

Post by blades29 » Thu, 03 Jan 2008 8:18 pm

lasingpros wrote:Dear All,
I'm currently working in Europe and getting 70000€/yr. I'm getting a job offer in singapore which is 90000S$/yr. I heared taxes in singapore are quite low so will the offer be equal to what I get in europe?.Also will I be able to get get tax reliefs for wife and child as I get in europe.
If I get 7500S$/month what will be the saving capacity for a person with a wife and a small baby of four months?.
How much will b the living expenses, baby related expenses.Please advice.
u may be better off with the europe pay package.

rental $300 & up
milk $20~$30 per 1 kg tin (4-6 mths old formula) - u probably need 2 tins per week at that age.
diapers cost about $0.30 each. That works out to about $20 per week.
food is generally cheap. But restaurant can range up to the high class pricey ones.

Social welfare aka Central Provident Fund (CPF) safekeeps a percentage of your take home pay (between 5-20% depending on your status).

If your spouse is frugal, you 2 can manage with a budget of $3~4K. Else you will probably may spend most of your pay on sundry expenses.

blades29

Post by blades29 » Thu, 03 Jan 2008 8:26 pm

cfview wrote:All the conversations above, with pay in range of $100k ~ 200k. Does the package include other benefits like medical, dental, cpf ext? Or it's just lump sum payment without the other benefits?
generally pay stands for the gross salary. It includes the bonus and commissions.

It is exclusive of the fringe benefits like medical and dental.

It is inclusive of employee CPF (your own contribution) and exclusive of the employer's contribution.
Last edited by blades29 on Thu, 03 Jan 2008 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

blades29

Post by blades29 » Thu, 03 Jan 2008 8:34 pm

samuel.faith wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:If you are a Myanmar national you will probably be looking at 1800~2000 SGD/mo max. I know this is not what you want to hear but thats the hard facts.
Hi,

I understand I cannot get high paying jobs initially without securing a high educational qualification. What I want to know is if I can certainly secure a job with minimum pay of SGD1500. And what kind of job I can get.

Sam
You should be above to earn > $2K in most corporate job positions given your 4 yrs experience. If you speak and write well, no problem at all to getting more $$$.

There is a Htin and a Sai in our team. Which tribe do you belong to?
Last edited by blades29 on Thu, 03 Jan 2008 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

blades29

Post by blades29 » Thu, 03 Jan 2008 8:42 pm

jp900 wrote:
You seem to know banking. How about retail banking. How much do you think a manager (regional) in the likes of Citibank or DBS or Amex would make? Thanks!
manager in retail banking probably would be a graduate or at least poly dip holder with about 5 yrs' work experience.
maybe in the $5K/mth range? (just my opinion)

but it is the private banking that pays better 'cos of the sales commission.

blades29

Post by blades29 » Thu, 03 Jan 2008 9:02 pm

deelady wrote: Would like to do is being in Logistics Sector a good choice?
Do any here have words of wisdom for a student? Would be greatly appreciated. What kind of salary can a undergrad and a grad look for?
My opinion is that logistics is somewhat like engineering. Stable though maybe not so exciting. It really depends on the sort of person that you are and what you enjoy doing.

Moving from a classroom environment to the workplace will test some of your non-academic skills.
How u PR with others?
Are you meticulous or creative?
Are you a good at planning/organizing or quick on the fly/on your feet?
What's important to you? Money? Lifestyle? Family? Religion? What drives u?

If u r a SG male and gone through NS, u probably have some idea what makes a man or mice.

Generally have a good presentation and attitude. The rest is luck to be at the right time and place to get the opportunity to success.

$2K as the benchmark - depends on industry and size of company. I would suggest new graduates to try work in a big MNC.

blades29

Post by blades29 » Thu, 03 Jan 2008 9:04 pm

travellingcircus wrote:It would seem the information on salaries and salary packages is very complex. There have been a few questions about whether sing100k ids enough to live and I am still a bit confused about the response.

It seems that a 2 bed condo would cost around 2500k a month as a min.As expats we also have our expenses in our home country to maintain. But from what I can work out a salary of 90-100k would be plenty for a family to live comfortably. perhaps i has miscalculated something?

Would appreciate any comments.

:)
it depends on your lifestyle.
2 bedroom HDB flat (public housing) cost half of a condo. So from a 100k pay, u can either save half of it or spend everything.

travellingcircus

Re: will 7500SGD be good enough

Post by travellingcircus » Sat, 05 Jan 2008 6:07 pm

blades29 wrote: milk $20~$30 per 1 kg tin (4-6 mths old formula) - u probably need 2 tins per week at that age.
At 4 months a baby is breastfed!

thanks for the reply to my question.

to the person working in europe and considering a 90k singapore package, i would ask for more. my way of thinking is that it has to be at least equivalent to the current wage. a straight conversion of currency is closer to 147k. we are in germany and we get low tax for having a family and a govt. payment each month. rent is cheaper where we are. so unless the cpmpany provides housing in the package seperately i would ask for more. for us, the singapore dollar is worth less than our home country dollar but the euro s more... we take this into consideration as we still have a mortgage to pay at home.

blades29

Post by blades29 » Sun, 06 Jan 2008 12:00 am

Well, you are lucky if your missy can breastfeed longer.

For alot of working mums who resume working after 3 months' maternity leave, the milk production goes downhill from the 4th month.
:(

travellingcircus

Post by travellingcircus » Thu, 10 Jan 2008 1:00 am

"Well, you are lucky if your missy can breastfeed longer."

not luck, lots of hard work, research, support, joining breastfeeding networks.... and sore boobs! The point I was making was that the response assumed that the person asking for a budget needed to include formula. But i just did a bit of research and singapore have very low breastfeeding stats compared to worldwide averages. there is a huge campaign to try to change this in singapore.... but this is OT. :D

blades29

Post by blades29 » Thu, 10 Jan 2008 10:00 am

point taken.
Pace of life in SG is fast. Wish there was more time to smell the roses.