Singapore Expats

starhub cable modem

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
durain
Director
Director

starhub cable modem

Post by durain » Thu, 06 Dec 2007 9:50 pm

here's a technical question about starhub cable modem.

the freebie cable modem that comes with starhub is not voice enable (VeCM). is there any hardware "add-in" to make the cable modem voice enable?

ukdesigner
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ukdesigner » Mon, 10 Dec 2007 12:36 pm

what do you want to do?

You're not very specific in your requirements.

If you want voip then there are plenty of suppliers out there that can do that without having to rely on starhubs modem.
Don't p*ss me off! I am running out of places to hide the bodies.

Dobski
Regular
Regular

Re: starhub cable modem

Post by Dobski » Mon, 10 Dec 2007 1:36 pm

durain wrote:the freebie cable modem that comes with starhub is not voice enable (VeCM). is there any hardware "add-in" to make the cable modem voice enable?
The modem that comes with Max online Ultimate is not voice enabled. I have to split the cable at the wall and run one line into the 'old' motorolla SB modem for my phone.

It's not ideal.

Check out this forum:- http://miketan.blogspot.com/
Topic - Adventures with Stahub's Maxonline MOL Ultimate 100Mbit/s FAT GREEN PIPE!

ukdesigner
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ukdesigner » Mon, 10 Dec 2007 3:18 pm

I use a voip system but it bypasses the need for a connection to the modem directly. It connects up to the computer via usb and I use a piece of software that does all the routing.

What system are you using?

Dobski
Regular
Regular

Post by Dobski » Mon, 10 Dec 2007 3:25 pm

I got a wireless Belkin handest for voip (Skype).

The splitter/second modem is for the Starhub landline.

ukdesigner
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ukdesigner » Mon, 10 Dec 2007 8:39 pm

in that case you shouldn't need to connect the second router up. It sounds like a port needs to opened on the starhub router. I'm not sure what ports need to be opened I'm afraid. I would go onto the skype website and do a search. They normally have a listing of stuff like that for non-techies (am not being rude to you).

I use skype, albeit the video version all the time and have no problems but I reckon the ports were probably left open on the router.

This is more a software thing than a hardware. Starhub more than likely close off some of the ports on your router so that you have to upgrade and then give you instructions to "open" them up when you take their package.

I don't know that for sure but most voip systems work regardless of the router. That's normally what blocks it.

Just one word of warning. If you are on a pc and use antivirus software make sure that it will also allow traffic through on the ports open. Don't open them all up otherwise you are prone to hacking.

Hope that helps you some.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Mon, 10 Dec 2007 9:48 pm

Have a good read, there are many solutions, depends, what suits you and your pocket...my old boss back in Denmark had his own gateway at home plugged direct into the adsl..so he could use SIP telephony, when the computers are turned off...you can phone anywhere in the world once you are setup correctly, for a fraction of the telephone bills. He's been using it over 10 years! and any small to medium sized business would be a fool not to have it setup correctly, for best quality sound and video calling. Even private homes if they phone overseas often will benefit by a SIP, Although its a minefield of products!

Today the digital processing chip..are much more advanced!

http://www.voiphardware.com/VoIPHardwar ... -s/366.htm

Using softphone, software:
http://voip.about.com/od/voipsoftware/a ... neList.htm

Using SIP phones

http://voip.about.com/od/hardware/a/SpecialPhones.htm

http://voip.about.com/od/hardware/a/SpecialPhones.htm

http://voip.about.com/od/sipandh323/p/whatisSIP.htm

Dobski
Regular
Regular

Post by Dobski » Tue, 11 Dec 2007 10:01 am

UKDesigner - I think we may be talking at crossed purposes here.

There's voip (Skype type things) and there's a voice enabled modem which let's you plug a normal (landline) phone handset into the modem itself.
I thought the original question was asking about plugging a landline phone into the modem...

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Wed, 12 Dec 2007 5:34 am

i think i found what i need. i will be using the starhub freebie cable modem and then connect a draytek vigor 2910VG wireless router with VoIP support. i will be using SIP from my VoIP provider. with SIP enable, i dont have to keep a PC turned on to use softphone such as X-Lite.

thank you all for your response :)

(http://www.draytek.com/product/Dual_Wan ... 2910VG.php)

ukdesigner
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ukdesigner » Wed, 12 Dec 2007 9:40 am

funnily enough that's what I use, x-lite that is. I have to keep my machine on to be honest but then again the only number I have is uk based and I don't want them ringing me at 3am in the morning so it suits.

Glad you found your answer though.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Wed, 12 Dec 2007 10:06 pm

yeah, i know what you mean about having a landline fone connected via SIP for VoIP. i need to find out from my VoIP provider if i can set it to goto voicemail at certain hours and then pick it up using a web browser to access it on the internet.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Wed, 12 Dec 2007 10:18 pm

durain wrote:yeah, i know what you mean about having a landline fone connected via SIP for VoIP. i need to find out from my VoIP provider if i can set it to goto voicemail at certain hours and then pick it up using a web browser to access it on the internet.
Voicemail!

http://www.voip.com/help/Voicemail/FAQ/ ... nline.aspx

My Nokia 95 is a Skype phone too, just have to setup the SIP :)
Last edited by ksl on Wed, 12 Dec 2007 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Wed, 12 Dec 2007 10:59 pm

no, what i meant was, if i setup my VoIP using SIP to a normal landline telephone, i wont be able to config it to goto voicemail at certain hours (like when i sleep!) into my VoIP provider.

so when people ring me on my VoIP number, SIP will route it to my normal landline telephone (just the telephone, not singtel). but at night, i want it to route it to voicemail so that i can pick it up when i login using a web browser.

sounds complex, but will mess about with the config if i can get it working.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Thu, 13 Dec 2007 4:23 am

durain wrote:no, what i meant was, if i setup my VoIP using SIP to a normal landline telephone, i wont be able to config it to goto voicemail at certain hours (like when i sleep!) into my VoIP provider.

so when people ring me on my VoIP number, SIP will route it to my normal landline telephone (just the telephone, not singtel). but at night, i want it to route it to voicemail so that i can pick it up when i login using a web browser.

sounds complex, but will mess about with the config if i can get it working.
It depends on the VoIP provider software...if you check the Skype one out, it has everything you need...and you can divert calls at any time, to go to your web based voice mail, although there is a charge for the pro skype,but cheap I believe.
They have also updated the video calling too.. I haven't tried my Nokia 95 yet, though, will do soon!

blades29

Post by blades29 » Thu, 03 Jan 2008 7:29 pm

hi durian,

I did not know Starhub free digital voice came with voicemailbox. :o

But if you got enough hubber points, or just pay ~$100 for the new cable modem with the RJ11 voice port. Anyway a cable modem may probably break down on the 4th year of use. No harm investing in a new one before the current one fails.