Singapore Expats

Christmas Day- Restaurants ?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ozchick
Editor
Editor

Christmas Day- Restaurants ?

Post by ozchick » Sun, 21 Oct 2007 2:07 pm

A few colleagues and I have decided not to 'go home' and will be here over Christmas.
About to google this but any recommendations for sing restaurant- Christmas Day with all the trimmings ?
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Christmas Day- Restaurants ?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 21 Oct 2007 2:41 pm

ozchick wrote:A few colleagues and I have decided not to 'go home' and will be here over Christmas.
About to google this but any recommendations for sing restaurant- Christmas Day with all the trimmings ?
What's it take for a Oz Xmas Day feast? Some extra prawns on the barbie & a couple extra slabs of Tooheys? :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Superglide » Sun, 21 Oct 2007 3:00 pm

Probably a koala from the oven?
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Sun, 21 Oct 2007 9:27 pm

Isn't there an Outback restaurant here? Never been but am sure I've seen the sign. Sounds Aussie and maybe they have just the right flavour to suit you.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Mon, 22 Oct 2007 10:08 am

Are you looking for something spiffy and posh? I would see what BROTH is offering. Outback steakhouse is kind of an Americanized Disney-version of Australian. Fine to take your kids too if you are in St. Louis or something and you need a quick, cheap dinner, a travesty to end up there on Christmas Day.

The Ritz Carlton has a lovely brunch, not necessarily Aussie in it's fare, but festive and well done. Does ANZA have any suggestions?

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Mon, 22 Oct 2007 12:02 pm

You guys are not funny ! No more dead koalas, beer-drinking yobbo-type suggestions needed . :evil:
And yes 'Road Not Taken' I'm looking for something sophisticated - I'm a classy ozchick- been brung up good I am ! Wish I could say that I was from convict stock but nay nay lah......

I am of English and Irish extraction, am a sixth generation Aussie who loves nothing more than Xmas the way it should be- the English way- and for your information, this is the way most Aussies do it ! Albeit without the snow !

So we're after 3 or 4- courses of traditional English fare- forget those ads you guys see on the TV- beer/prawns, singleted blokes - aghhhhh !

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Superglide » Mon, 22 Oct 2007 1:49 pm

ozchick,

whatever they try in Singapore, there is no x-mas ambience or tradition here. The best they think they do is a snow canon on Orchard Road, to get people shopping in what they think is x-mas style.
Pablo Picasso

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Mon, 22 Oct 2007 2:08 pm

I disagree, the tree lighting ceremony at the British Club is lovely and there are a few parties I attend every year that are very traditional and heart-warming. You have to look harder here, that's all.

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Superglide » Mon, 22 Oct 2007 3:18 pm

Different people, different strokes I guess.

I don't see how or what that has to do with trying harder. :?
Pablo Picasso

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Mon, 22 Oct 2007 3:32 pm

I said 'look harder' :P

I just mean there are isolated pockets of Christmas spirit here, or maybe I create them (probably in my own head) they just don't fall in your lap like they do back home. When I see my kids rush downstairs to open presents left under a tree, it sure feels like Christmas, no matter where we are.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Mon, 22 Oct 2007 9:55 pm

Thanks 'Road Not Taken' I've today been asking around and the Carlton Ritz is getting the thumbs up with also some positives for Shangri-la and The Mandarin.
Anythings better than I could find in Melbourne last year. Went to Sydney instead - it was fantastic. I'm fed up to the back teeth with cooking on Christmas Day and like nothing better than to just sit back and enjoy.......gonna check bookings now and see if it's not too late...

And Superglide- if it's any good I'll bring you a doggy-bag. And you never know- Santa may bring you some clogs or a bunch of tulips ! :wink:

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Mon, 22 Oct 2007 10:05 pm

Superglide wrote:ozchick,

whatever they try in Singapore, there is no x-mas ambience or tradition here. The best they think they do is a snow canon on Orchard Road, to get people shopping in what they think is x-mas style.
There's only one christmas tradition that needs to be maintained SG and even Singapore can manage that, Christmas in a glass :wink:

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Superglide » Tue, 23 Oct 2007 11:37 am

ozchick wrote:And Superglide- if it's any good I'll bring you a doggy-bag. And you never know- Santa may bring you some clogs or a bunch of tulips ! :wink:
How about a reefer! 8-) :o
Pablo Picasso

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Superglide » Tue, 23 Oct 2007 11:38 am

Saint wrote:
Superglide wrote:ozchick,

There's only one christmas tradition that needs to be maintained SG and even Singapore can manage that, Christmas in a glass :wink:
In a pint that is! 8-)
Pablo Picasso