Singapore Expats

Jurong

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
si

Jurong

Post by si » Thu, 18 Oct 2007 6:16 pm

We are soon to relocate and the office is based in Jurong.

Is Jurong a good place to live - restaurants, bars, parks etc ?

We were looking at the East Coast. What would be the travel time on public transport?

Are there any other areas recommended ?

viajera
Regular
Regular

Re: Jurong

Post by viajera » Thu, 18 Oct 2007 7:02 pm

si wrote:We are soon to relocate and the office is based in Jurong.

Is Jurong a good place to live - restaurants, bars, parks etc ?

We were looking at the East Coast. What would be the travel time on public transport?

Are there any other areas recommended ?
not sure what you mean by "good place to live". it's not expat-dense, it's regarded as the "heartlands". lots of space, close to the national parks and nature reserve. i've been to the malls there and i like them but then i'm atypical in that i am not a fan of posh shopping places like those on orchard.

travel time to east coast via MRT is about 30-40 minutes, but that's not door-to-door. your actual travel time may well be over an hour, depending how far your home and workplace are from the MRT stations.

if proximity to bars and restos are important to you, consider pasir panjang, west coast, holland village. these are roughly midway between jurong and the city.

newbrit

Post by newbrit » Fri, 19 Oct 2007 1:29 am

URL CENSORED DUE TO COPYRIGHT ISSUES

Until you pin point your offices location, working out a commute time will be tough. You also need to be aware of congestion - I think the poster above said 30-40 minutes commute to Jurong from East Coast? It can take me 30 mins to where I work from Tiong Bahru (where I live) - which is the 'right' side of the CBD!

newbrit

Post by newbrit » Fri, 19 Oct 2007 1:33 am

Hmm - censored, that'll teach me for using a full web address. :oops:

I basically said that the term Jurong can be used to cover a very wide area - I work a 20 minute drive away from Jurong East MRT for example - but my company is still in 'Jurong'. So I would suggest checking out an online map service to find out exactly where your office is, to help you work out if public transport is even viable.

Lots of companies in Jurong are effectively so far away from public transport that they lay on company buses from Jurong East - so your company may do that?

si

Post by si » Mon, 22 Oct 2007 8:51 am

The office is on Jalan Pesawat. Is this walking distance from MRT ?

CAT777
Regular
Regular

Post by CAT777 » Mon, 22 Oct 2007 9:34 am

si wrote:The office is on Jalan Pesawat. Is this walking distance from MRT ?
You can check the distance with singapore sreetdirectory. As i know Jalan Pesawat is quiet far from MRT, 2-3
It also depends what does it means "walking distance" personally for you... For most of S'poreans 10 mins walk to get to the office is a very looong distance, so they'd better q up at the bus stop to get into a fully packed bus instead of walking
Сингапурский котенок

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Tue, 23 Oct 2007 11:44 pm

newbrit wrote:Hmm - censored, that'll teach me for using a full web address. :oops:
Full web addresses are generally welcome here, it's just that a certain major local newspaper has been making very threatening legal noises about being referred to in any way, shape or form, so we have to nuke any references to them :???:
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 24 Oct 2007 12:01 am

He was already informed about the reasons on the 19th via PM as well as referred to the sticky about same.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

newbrit

Post by newbrit » Wed, 24 Oct 2007 1:18 am

I read the PM and completely understand - sunday morning was very nice about it.

Maybe I should think about changing my profile name though to indicate that I'm a she - and not a he? :wink: