Singapore Expats

Cost of Living Advice (I tried to provide all info I could)

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
fido

Cost of Living Advice (I tried to provide all info I could)

Post by fido » Sun, 14 Oct 2007 1:19 pm

Hi All,

Advice needed here, I'm from Malaysia and found a job in Singapore. I'll be moving down to Singapore this coming December 2007 (if my employment pass approved).

My salary is only SGD2700, would it be sufficient for me to begin a simple life in Singapore? Simple life is defined as below:

a.) Renting a room in places like Kallang / Aljunied / Tanah Merah / Bugis / Pasir Ris. Also I need advice if the budget of SGD600 is reasonable to get a room (inclusive of water and electricity bills) with light cooking allowed. I would really appreciate it if you guys could also recommend rooms from other areas if the cost of living in these area is high.

b.) I travel only by MRT and bus. I will probably get a bicycle after 3 months in Singapore, I don't think I'll need to rely on cabs.

c.) I don't go clubbing, I don't smoke / drink. So it's going to be work on weekdays, rest on weekends or have a walk around some areas (not shopping).

Do you guys think it's reasonable to speculate the expenses as follow?

Per-month
=======
Basic salary: SGD2700
Tax and other deductions (I'm not sure about this, just assuming): SGD500
Transportation: SGD200
Food: SGD400
Room (This is killing me): SGD600

Only SGD1000 remaining at the end of the month? :(

Any advice or correction is very much appreciated in advance. Thank you!

aquario

Re: Cost of Living Advice (I tried to provide all info I cou

Post by aquario » Sun, 14 Oct 2007 10:14 pm

Rent a room near to your working place, you will save alot on tpt. $600 is a good budget for room. You will be able to get a master bedroom and ask agent if recommend those where you can cook

"Do you guys think it's reasonable to speculate the expenses as follow?"

Looks reasonable but you forgot about other daily necessities.

fido

Post by fido » Sun, 14 Oct 2007 10:39 pm

Hi aquario,

Thanks a lot. I'm still looking around for a room in the mentioned area, I found a few but strictly for ladies :( Still searching for one, if possible, I'm trying not to go through agent.

Do you happen to have any recommendations? Or friends who happen to have rooms for rent?