Singapore Expats

Rental: wear and tear cover this?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
dreambird

Rental: wear and tear cover this?

Post by dreambird » Thu, 11 Oct 2007 4:32 pm

Hi all,

Moving out due to doubling of rental price...My landlord wanted me to repaint the whole house and chemically disinfect the place...Didn't see this in my contract...Is this a norm?

thanks

Dreaming..

Plavt
Director
Director

Re: Rental: wear and tear cover this?

Post by Plavt » Thu, 11 Oct 2007 4:48 pm

dreambird wrote:Hi all,

Moving out due to doubling of rental price...My landlord wanted me to repaint the whole house and chemically disinfect the place...Didn't see this in my contract...Is this a norm?

thanks

Dreaming..
Tell him to buy his own disenfectant and hire a painter and decorator instead of trying to get it done on the cheap. :?

(I'm sure he can afford it now he has doubled the rent cheeky b*****)

dreambird

Post by dreambird » Thu, 11 Oct 2007 5:43 pm

Thanks.

Another thing is pertaining to allow viewing for next potential tenant.

I have communicate that maybe twice a week, 2 hrs each, with early notice. But landlord been calling me everyday trying to arrange for viewing....we been very accommodating to his request so far there is 2 months more before we moved, we finding it disturbing to entertain his agent coming very frequently and almost everytime they are late.

We felt there some sort invasion of privacy as some viewers even bring video-cam in to film the place, where our things still there.

sigh~

sillingw
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sillingw » Thu, 11 Oct 2007 6:16 pm

The viewing is something you do have control over and you do have rights, It is totally fair for you to dictate "Reasonable terms" they can view on these days, at these times and if they do not turn up on time, we will not be available - is totally fair - don't let them ride roughshod - the video camera is harder - it's not really the landlords problem it's the prospective renter and their total disregard for privacy - if it were me, I would say to them - as they enetered the property - No - for privacy and security reasons, this is not acceptable and they have to leave the camera at the door - if that is not acceptable, contact the landlord, but I totally agree with you that it is not cool - and I'm a landlord !!

dreambird

Post by dreambird » Thu, 11 Oct 2007 6:33 pm

sillingw wrote:The viewing is something you do have control over and you do have rights, It is totally fair for you to dictate "Reasonable terms" they can view on these days, at these times and if they do not turn up on time, we will not be available - is totally fair - don't let them ride roughshod - the video camera is harder - it's not really the landlords problem it's the prospective renter and their total disregard for privacy - if it were me, I would say to them - as they enetered the property - No - for privacy and security reasons, this is not acceptable and they have to leave the camera at the door - if that is not acceptable, contact the landlord, but I totally agree with you that it is not cool - and I'm a landlord !!
Thanks for the kind words and response. I guess we just have to be firmer the next time he called. Kindness don't always paid off, i guess.