Singapore Expats

Report on Singapore 2007

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Report on Singapore 2007

Post by Superglide » Wed, 10 Oct 2007 11:10 am

If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

lefthanded
Regular
Regular

Post by lefthanded » Wed, 10 Oct 2007 11:54 am

That makes living in Singapore. . . . . . ? :?

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Wed, 10 Oct 2007 11:59 am

Its not that bad.

Besides ask your average Singaporean who remembers SIngapore before PAP and ask them what they think. Better yet go to JB or Riau Islands and see if feel good about life.
Be Like Water

lefthanded
Regular
Regular

Post by lefthanded » Wed, 10 Oct 2007 12:11 pm

Hmmm. . . that's not comparison on leveled ground is it?
Well, but I guess that's the price to pay to live in a "civilized" country. . . :-s

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Post by cutiebutie » Wed, 10 Oct 2007 12:37 pm

It doesn't make good living but then look at the reports on what left-handed brand as 'civilised' countries. (The US is a good example, and read what it says about Europe - let's not even enquire about Africa)

I don't think many people will say that Singapore is the most open and free society,but it surely is not the worst, by far.

Press freedom should be paramount, but I think what critics have to look at as well is that we can get the BBC, CNN and the rest uncensored.

lefthanded
Regular
Regular

Post by lefthanded » Wed, 10 Oct 2007 12:57 pm

:o Notice my "country" is singular? I wasn't talking about anywhere else. (I didn't read the reports on the other states)

Other than the occasional grumble to friends about the rules and regulations implemented every now and then, I have no complaints about the life in Singapore. After all, this is where I am born and breed! :P

DimWit Kid
Chatter
Chatter

Post by DimWit Kid » Wed, 10 Oct 2007 1:09 pm

This country is not where I was born and bred. I complained about a lot of thing in this country, lousy drivers, manners, etc, but hey... I never really complained about press freedom, democracy, and those sorts here.

Why? Because I've lived in authoritarian country, which then found democracy... and then... I chose to go and live here. Suffice to say, I found democracy and so called "freedom" overrated. Or rather, I find that they're not that important compared to my certain other priorities that I can get from this country.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 10 Oct 2007 1:46 pm

One page was all that they could manage? Not bad. :wink:

Another thing 'my country' and 'civilized' used in the same sentence is almost an oxymoron. :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

lefthanded
Regular
Regular

Post by lefthanded » Wed, 10 Oct 2007 2:21 pm

well yeah, like wise fool? :roll:

sillingw
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sillingw » Wed, 10 Oct 2007 2:26 pm

well, I guess I have a couple of issues with the report:

Amnesty have a very left wing political agenda which I do not wholeheartedly agree with.

I agree with most of the hangings and canings.

I'm living here by choice, not by force and I kinda like it :D

I'd rather read the Straits Times than the Sun, Mirror or News of the world

I never stood up in a public forum and discussed politics, so can't say I miss it. I have discussed it in bars, clubs, pubs, with freinds and continue to do so here.

sourisso
Regular
Regular

Post by sourisso » Wed, 10 Oct 2007 2:30 pm

i don't care much about press freedom /media neither here because im an expat, but i feel sorry for people here who gets nannyfied by gov and board of censors.. feel sorry for them to not have access to all the movies, music, etc etc, and to have someone deciding for them what they have to see or not, hear or not, read or not... is it so weird to say that ? can't i say that without someone telling me "oh but you think others countries are perfect ?" :roll:
i understand why people doesnt need to participate much in politic anyway, but this is different stuff..

had a good laugh yesterday when i saw "Mediacorp received award again for being patron of the arts", and then "Channel News Asia voted the best news channel".

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Post by cutiebutie » Wed, 10 Oct 2007 3:10 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:One page was all that they could manage? Not bad. :wink:

Another thing 'my country' and 'civilized' used in the same sentence is almost an oxymoron. :lol:
Well, you are American after all! :lol:

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Wed, 10 Oct 2007 3:26 pm

Bafana wrote:Its not that bad.

Besides ask your average Singaporean who remembers SIngapore before PAP and ask them what they think. Better yet go to JB or Riau Islands and see if feel good about life.
Perhaps this is what a good many people should have a look at; when hunting around I don't find too much history about Singapore in libraries or for that matter the Internet.

From what I have read however and if my perception is right the implementation of the laws and regulations was not in the least in regard to the triads.

Some time ago the docks for instance were a notoriously filthy area frequented by prostitiutes and a plethora of opium dens and maybe other areas. The fear of the authorities was the triads were or may be about to muscle in on the act and this is or was part of the reason for implementation of the draconian regime.

That is as best as I can remember so feel free to correct where I may be wrong or point out what I cannot but help not know.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 10 Oct 2007 7:18 pm

cutiebutie wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:One page was all that they could manage? Not bad. :wink:

Well, you are American after all! :lol:
After a quarter of a century here, I sometimes wonder about that? Good thing I've got a passport to remind me. :P
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Wed, 10 Oct 2007 11:56 pm

Press freedom should be paramount, but I think what critics have to look at as well is that we can get the BBC, CNN and the rest uncensored
For what I read in the UK papers, I would say censorship is required! Its full of crap, lies and propaganda that sells papers! Although thats, all the UK government puts out, these days and the public love it! :oops:

Its the blind leading the blind! Plonky Plunket ideaolgy, with Blair witch an co Brown, believing they have that right to protect themselves and there incomes, pensions, and still milk the system.

And the I'm alright jacks, reaping the wealth out of the system, and destroying the NHS, total chaos rules, which was well planned, for those stealing the wealth at the time, and the majority of the working class can pay the debt.

The New Labour should have been the alarm bells, if you ask me!

The Sheep have been Shagged ever since the battle of Hastings :lol: :P I wonder if that means everyone is happy in UK!

The Singapore report is just great, I love it, Because I know where I stand in society, and I know there is only one political party to spoil the broth!

Do the crime do the time! Food for thought! Cane, its a damn shame that its not used in all Countries!