Singapore Expats

Cabbies touting

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
missthing

Cabbies touting

Post by missthing » Tue, 09 Oct 2007 2:14 pm

Hey guys... heard that recently the amount of cabbies trying to raise fares of foreigners has increased... Sometimes I heard that they'll quote an expensive fixed price just to travel a short distance! have you been experiencing any thing like that? Where does this usually happen?

Barczar
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Barczar » Tue, 09 Oct 2007 3:53 pm

Two places that I know of in particular. The worst is outside of Orchard Towers, at the front on Orchard Road they are perfect at the taxi stand around the corner. The second is Boat Quay at the bottom end of circular road.

In my experience it's usually never a problem at any taxi stands or if you book one (which is what i do 99% of the time) but during any peak periods, late night etc at any "unofficial" taxi stands (think outside clubs, bars etc, it can be hit and miss with the Taxis and guaranteed rip off with the limos (more than $35 for short distances).
If you want to play with the Big Dogs you can't pee like a Puppy!

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Tue, 09 Oct 2007 3:54 pm

It can happen anywhere, but especially at isolated places like ferry terminals where they know you have almost no chance of getting a passing taxi. All taxis in Singapore run on meters and fares are quite low. A 5 minute drive should cost S$5 or less. If they quote a ridiculous fare like S$30 you're better off calling a cab and paying the S$2 or S$4 booking fee. Still a lot cheaper.

seasider
Chatter
Chatter

Post by seasider » Tue, 09 Oct 2007 6:17 pm

We (both ang moh) had one limo driver get very aggressive at Circular Road near Molly's one night recently. He could see that both of us were on hold, trying to book a cab, and kept coming over and interrupting, saying why waste time and pay a callout fee when he would take us for a little extra?

I ended up moving to get away from him - and before I punched him. With hindsight I wish I'd reported him as he was way out of order, very insistent. I wouldn't take him on principle. :x

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Tue, 09 Oct 2007 7:26 pm

Today when my taxi driver asked for $11.50 I gave him $12.00 and he thanked me and gave me a sort of 'wave' as if to say 'thanks- that's all folks !"
He was trying to get himself a 50c tip ! I was mightily p..... off to have to ask for my change and he clearly wasn't too thrilled about giving it ! Disappointing. I'd not seen this before here.
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

seasider
Chatter
Chatter

Post by seasider » Tue, 09 Oct 2007 8:50 pm

Most are good, ozchick, and will give you the change, although I always round up anway (unless they're really bad or really rude). You will also find that a lot will say "ten dollars" if it's S$10.10 - now where else in the world would that happen?!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 09 Oct 2007 10:31 pm

seasider wrote:You will also find that a lot will say "ten dollars" if it's S$10.10 - now where else in the world would that happen?!
Isn't that the truth. I often have them to do that especially on the long rides back from Bkt Batok to Serangoon Nth. Often time I will give them the whole dollar then just because.... :wink:

Course the others I just set there with my hand out waiting. Eventually they get the message.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Tue, 09 Oct 2007 10:50 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
seasider wrote:You will also find that a lot will say "ten dollars" if it's S$10.10 - now where else in the world would that happen?!
Isn't that the truth. I often have them to do that especially on the long rides back from Bkt Batok to Serangoon Nth. Often time I will give them the whole dollar then just because.... :wink:
Gosh, I could hug you two.

And I totally agree. "Keep the change" should be the prerogative of the passenger, not the cabbie.

zjules
Regular
Regular

Post by zjules » Wed, 10 Oct 2007 5:29 pm

More times than i can count now, i have flagged down a taxi and the driver says 'Do you mind paying the booking fee as its a busy time?'. Every time i have got back out and slammed the door. I would rather wait longer in the sweaty heat! I guess many people will just pay it to get the wait over and done with, which is why they continue to do it. :x

chrisp

Re: Cabbies touting

Post by chrisp » Sat, 13 Oct 2007 11:38 am

missthing wrote:Hey guys... heard that recently the amount of cabbies trying to raise fares of foreigners has increased... Sometimes I heard that they'll quote an expensive fixed price just to travel a short distance! have you been experiencing any thing like that? Where does this usually happen?
I didn't know this happens in Singapore.
I always had the impression that taxi drivers here always abide by the meter rule.
Anyone knows if the authorities are doing anything about this?
Safer Roads @ Rank A Cab

chrisp

Post by chrisp » Sat, 13 Oct 2007 11:44 am

seasider wrote:We (both ang moh) had one limo driver get very aggressive at Circular Road near Molly's one night recently. He could see that both of us were on hold, trying to book a cab, and kept coming over and interrupting, saying why waste time and pay a callout fee when he would take us for a little extra?

I ended up moving to get away from him - and before I punched him. With hindsight I wish I'd reported him as he was way out of order, very insistent. I wouldn't take him on principle. :x
He has really crossed the line.
I hope such cases are few in Clean, Green and Friendly Singapore.

:?
zjules wrote:More times than i can count now, i have flagged down a taxi and the driver says 'Do you mind paying the booking fee as its a busy time?'. Every time i have got back out and slammed the door. I would rather wait longer in the sweaty heat! I guess many people will just pay it to get the wait over and done with, which is why they continue to do it. :x
I think you are right.
Next time one of you encounter such a driver, please do what zjules did.
ie... refuse their service.
This way, the drivers will learn that they cannot exploit us in this manner again.
ozchick wrote:Today when my taxi driver asked for $11.50 I gave him $12.00 and he thanked me and gave me a sort of 'wave' as if to say 'thanks- that's all folks !"
He was trying to get himself a 50c tip ! I was mightily p..... off to have to ask for my change and he clearly wasn't too thrilled about giving it ! Disappointing. I'd not seen this before here.
Are our Singapore Taxi Drivers getting less and less professional in both their services and driving?
Occasionally I get taxi drivers who take a little longer than required to stop the meter after reaching my destination and the meter jumps an extra 10cents. It's just 10cents so I always pay the extra.
But I think overall professionalism is dropping.

What say all of us in this forum?
Safer Roads @ Rank A Cab

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Superglide » Sat, 13 Oct 2007 4:58 pm

zjules wrote:More times than i can count now, i have flagged down a taxi and the driver says 'Do you mind paying the booking fee as its a busy time?'.
Weird,

8 years of Singapore, never happened to me.
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

mayamomi
Regular
Regular

Post by mayamomi » Sat, 13 Oct 2007 5:33 pm

chrisp wrote: Are our Singapore Taxi Drivers getting less and less professional in both their services and driving?
Occasionally I get taxi drivers who take a little longer than required to stop the meter after reaching my destination and the meter jumps an extra 10cents. It's just 10cents so I always pay the extra.
But I think overall professionalism is dropping.

What say all of us in this forum?
its only 10cents, good for u that u gave it to the driver.. poor drivers they drive all day long, its so hot and its such a boring and mundane job to me...

but if its a matter or principle, the next time just as u're arriving at ur destination, look at the meter as soon as the cab stops and give the fare that's last shown... i dun think we have to wait till the cabbie stops the meter to pay the fare shown (or is it a new regulation that started in my days away from singapore??)

in any case, i think on the whole most are alright (in terms of behaviour in the cab).. or so i think... since i don take cabs very often...

however, i would like to say that the driving on the roads by some cabbies can be quite dangerous and inconsiderate, in addition to the bad drivers we already have ... :roll:
To you, he's a dog...
To me, he's everything...

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Sat, 13 Oct 2007 7:07 pm

chrisp wrote:Are our Singapore Taxi Drivers getting less and less professional in both their services and driving?
I think so, because unlike in the past where taxi drivers chose the profession and stuck with it as a career, nowadays anyone who can't get a job joins the taxi fleet. Most didn't want to be cabbies, hate their job, and would love a chance to do something different but no one will employ them. There are still some of the old guard who take pride in their work and it's a joy to occasionally get these drivers.

I also agree with Superglide that it's rare for taxis to ask for a booking fee when they were flagged down on the road. Maybe they were trying to be helpful by suggesting, in broken English, that the would-be passenger should call a cab instead since it's peak hour and it's unlikely they will get a taxi by chance? Just a guess. Of course they could also be opportunists in which case call the taxi company and let them know the taxi's car plate number, in front of the cabbie if possible!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 14 Oct 2007 1:00 pm

Does anybody here get the feeling that certain Journo's are reading/seeding these forums? Has anybody read the local rag today? (can't mention any more that that :roll: )
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Return to “General Discussions”