Singapore Expats

SIA @ KL Sept 2007

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
MichaelYong

Post by MichaelYong » Sat, 06 Oct 2007 10:52 pm

:( ..as expected...i couldnt even pass the 1st round...which is the toughest round i suppose...because it's rather a competitive round...comparison is inevitable...therefore, (from what i've experienced )outstanding,impressive,fluent speech, and effective self-recommendation would get a chance to proceed...

it was around 12:30pm when 10 of us entered the room with only 1 interviewer inside...nothing was asked but self-introduction...(only 2 got through to the next round...hm...they clearly stated the reasons of why they were there for the post. , and efficiently connected their experience with this job)...luck plays a part in it too, i guess
wish they end up having a signed bond =)

honestly...i'm totally disappointed with my performance...haih....
stutter, nervous, didnt manage to bring out the messages i wanted to speak for myself....
felt that i'm way worse than the majority...tears flooded my eyes for some moments when i was listening to the themes from "attention please!" and staring at the sky from the hotel room...so near yet so far...

i wished my parents have had spoken english to me since i was a kid...i wished i have lots of friends who converse in english....so...all in all, english conversation skills, public speaking skills, confidence...r vital

i cant believe i've driven for more than 700KM in just 30 hours...haha...
although i couldnt proceed to the next round...i've gained priceless experience though...knowing my own weaknesses....makes me more determined to improve myself....much more eager to achieve the dream of my life~~~...cant wait for the next recruitment.... never give up :)

forgive me for this long post...it makes me feel better somehow... :cry: ... ...
gd luck to the rest~~~
Last edited by MichaelYong on Sat, 06 Oct 2007 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

caryssa
Chatter
Chatter

Post by caryssa » Sat, 06 Oct 2007 11:04 pm

michael, dun be so sad..it alwiz happen in SIA interview..is this ur 1st time trying?bliv it onot,even if ur eng is not good enuf,i fthey reli want u,they wil take u in.coz i read in this forum b4...many gals were asked to take up an english..the interviewer let thm pass..but they hav 2 show the cert to them that they had improved..talk abt so near yet so far,im worst thn u..early last year,i was at the management..but i failed..but i nvr giv up..co zam trying again this year end..since am graduating next year end of march..mayb whn u hear this,u will feel much better..many gals n guys tht tried many times b4 b4 they can get in SIA..the latest news is abt a gal who tried 7 times b4 she was accepted..so,no matter wht..GAMBATE...may every1 in this forum will b a family member of SIA soon..cheers michael... :)

Chatter
Chatter

Post by 12345 » Sun, 07 Oct 2007 1:29 am

Hey michael...sorry to hear dat u did not make it thru. But at the same time, dun be sad and never give up on this dream if it is really wat u want.

Like caryssa said...there are many ppl who tried many many times b4 getting into SIA. N just look at us, we are seriously even worse in terms of so near yet so far! Reaching management and they just tell u rite at ur face "sorry, u r not selected". N dat has happened twice to me...so how bout that? But of course, i still understand the feeling of rejection and disappointment that u mite be feeling...but dun worry, it would go away soon :)

N i dun think there's any prob with ur english...coz from the way u wrote in the post, i think 'u've got almost perfect english! Haha! Prob u r just not so used to presenting urself in public...so maybe that's just the reason y. Just try speaking more often in public and i'm sure u'll do fine the next time round :D

caryssa
Chatter
Chatter

Post by caryssa » Sun, 07 Oct 2007 11:04 am

omg..now only there are so many mistakes in my post.. :???: sorry abt tht..cz me not enough sleep..thts y im very blur..hehe..anyway, still the same words, good luck every1..n fot those who went for the interview,do update us about the interview process ya?

Stu

Post by Stu » Sun, 07 Oct 2007 11:12 am

What about MAS? Wouldn't that be an alternative if people can't get into SIA?

MichaelYong

Post by MichaelYong » Sun, 07 Oct 2007 1:54 pm

haha..yup...bad feeling gone....and i will certainly do anything to improve on my blind side...and ya,public speaking is certainly a key in life...be it a cabin crew or whatsoever...
that's exactly where i'm gonna work hard onto..

uh...i was shame to even say that, 'so near yet so far'...both of u were much more nearer...
but i believe..with the passion and love in flying that we have...we will meet each other in the sky someday =) ~cheers~

certainly,Stu...i will,without any hesitation send in my application, provided MAS starts recruiting...so are the other airlines, if they recruit malaysian flight steward...still,i will apply..
chances dont come all the way as life goes on...so whenever there's an opportunity...i believe we have to grasp it... :)

management round shall be in process now..all the best~~~
enjoy the Sunday ^^

caryssa
Chatter
Chatter

Post by caryssa » Sun, 07 Oct 2007 3:04 pm

well,u dont have 2 be ashamed to say "so near yet so far" michael since u r shortlisted..maybe luck wasnt by ur side this time around..coz i believe besides the way we carry ourself on tht day, luck plays a very big part too..gambate kudasai..

potatogal

Post by potatogal » Sun, 07 Oct 2007 4:43 pm

just came bac from d management interview in penang..
tot dat i could be selected..
but im too nervous n i was stuttering too much..
therefore..been kick out..haihz
althought its my 1st interview with d job of cabin crew..
but im really sad n disappointed..
maybe i dont have any customer service experience yet..
:(

calvink
Chatter
Chatter

Hi

Post by calvink » Sun, 07 Oct 2007 6:06 pm

MAS would not be hiring anytime soon....they are encouraging crew to leave and not renewing some contract.....

caryssa
Chatter
Chatter

Post by caryssa » Sun, 07 Oct 2007 6:47 pm

sorry to hear abt tht potatogal...i know how u feel..but take me n 12345 as an example..v r same as u..n i believe 3 of us can b a colleague soon.. :oops: but u have to wait for the 6 months ban 2 be over b4 u can apply again.use this 6 months to improve urself..wht reason tht they gave u for not pass the management?

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sun, 07 Oct 2007 7:30 pm

MichaelYong wrote::( ..as expected...i couldnt even pass the 1st round...
Hi Michael,
Have read your rant :P looks like you have some serious work to do. Here try this http://www.euronews.net most of the video narrative is the same as the written articles. Just keep listening and writing down the English and comparing until you get all or most of it write.

As for your presentation find somebody well practiced who can help you or get a book on how to write essays (hint: construction and precis) and do some serious reading. Just a suggesiton; you have to do one hell of a lot of prepartion for this job in view of the stiff competion. :(

Stu

Post by Stu » Sun, 07 Oct 2007 8:15 pm

caryssa wrote:well,u dont have 2 be ashamed to say "so near yet so far" michael since u r shortlisted..maybe luck wasnt by ur side this time around..coz i believe besides the way we carry ourself on tht day, luck plays a very big part too..gambate kudasai..
Caryssa - are you fluent in nihongo?

potatogal

Post by potatogal » Sun, 07 Oct 2007 8:27 pm

caryssa wrote:sorry to hear abt tht potatogal...i know how u feel..but take me n 12345 as an example..v r same as u..n i believe 3 of us can b a colleague soon.. :oops: but u have to wait for the 6 months ban 2 be over b4 u can apply again.use this 6 months to improve urself..wht reason tht they gave u for not pass the management?
lolx.. i also dont know why not pass for the management actually..
maybe they not satisfied with my answer.. haha..
yea.. i will be trying next time..
and i will find a job that related to customer service 8-)
u also need to wait for 6 months? when will they recruit again?

caryssa
Chatter
Chatter

Post by caryssa » Sun, 07 Oct 2007 9:48 pm

my reply to stu, well,i only take the 1st level of nihongo..haha..so,not good at it..or should i say lousy?hehe...

n for potatogal,mine is early last year thing..so,i can apply for the next recruitment..but i thought they will tell u y u failed at the management..coz they tol dme last time..anyway,since u r thr,sure u have wht it takes..juz that mayb u r too nervous as u claimed?

caryssa
Chatter
Chatter

Post by caryssa » Sun, 07 Oct 2007 9:51 pm

am not sure whn they will recruit again..but if im not mistaken,they will recruit every year end...but for ur case,wait til next year march recruitment ya =)