Singapore Expats

Speaking of Dogs......

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 05 Oct 2007 7:03 pm

Superglide wrote:Lots of assumptions flying around here!

And frankly, what's wrong with rewarding someone who has found a lost pet? I would certainly offer some kind of reward.
I agree absolutely, but what would you say to getting a call asking "how much is the reward" before even letting someone know if you have the dog? What does that say. Was the pet dognapped only for gain?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Superglide » Fri, 05 Oct 2007 8:18 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Superglide wrote:Lots of assumptions flying around here!

And frankly, what's wrong with rewarding someone who has found a lost pet? I would certainly offer some kind of reward.
I agree absolutely, but what would you say to getting a call asking "how much is the reward" before even letting someone know if you have the dog? What does that say. Was the pet dognapped only for gain?
kai poh indeed... :wink:
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Fri, 05 Oct 2007 11:36 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:what would you say to getting a call asking "how much is the reward" before even letting someone know if you have the dog?
I would say: how many times has that happened? Not to anyone here right? It could be just one or two incidents but the story keeps making the rounds. Many of us have lost pets here and not encountered that. I lost mine last year. A neighbour took it in and looked after it until we found it by going around asking people if they'd seen it. Last week two dogs were wandering around and 3 teenagers sat with them and took turns to knock on doors asking if anyone had lost their pets. Finally they called the SPCA. Anecdotal evidence suggests people are helpful for the most part. I can't believe you guys are condemning a whole group of people because of an 'incident' that is merely a rumour. Quite rational, aren't we?

Ok, rant over.

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Superglide » Fri, 05 Oct 2007 11:43 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:I can't believe you guys are condemning a whole group of people because of an 'incident' that is merely a rumour. Quite rational, aren't we?

Ok, rant over.
"you guys" as in?

I would think I said nothing wrong?

(this time at least).
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 06 Oct 2007 12:21 am

Wind In My Hair wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:what would you say to getting a call asking "how much is the reward" before even letting someone know if you have the dog?
I would say: how many times has that happened? Not to anyone here right? It could be just one or two incidents but the story keeps making the rounds. Many of us have lost pets here and not encountered that. I lost mine last year. A neighbour took it in and looked after it until we found it by going around asking people if they'd seen it. Last week two dogs were wandering around and 3 teenagers sat with them and took turns to knock on doors asking if anyone had lost their pets. Finally they called the SPCA. Anecdotal evidence suggests people are helpful for the most part. I can't believe you guys are condemning a whole group of people because of an 'incident' that is merely a rumour. Quite rational, aren't we?

Ok, rant over.
Guess it's like the kiasu syndrome. Or the Singapore buffet syndrome. Okay this time I deliberately referred to "Singapore" - if no one hadn't noticed I never condemned Singapore in this thread I even said "any" large city the human condition is the same. A few bad apples spoil the barrel. If the percentages are higher (even though the minority, the tar tends to stick - we've had this discussion before so I'm not going there again). Where there's smoke there is usually fire.

My rant was solely on the plight of pet owners having to resort to subterfuge to try to get their pets back. Like seasider, I tend to think of the animals. Until I bought my HDB flat my place in Seletar Camp looks normally like a animal shelter as well. Honestly, the best thing that has happened is the microchipping of animals. I think they ought to microchip adults as well. Maybe microchipping with a mini-gprs transmitter so you could track you pet like the ones that are available to put in mobile phones to track your kids.

You lost your pet and got it back. I'm happy for you.........
but I didn't! Does mine loss also count as anecdotal evidence? Or only the good things?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Post by micknlea » Sat, 06 Oct 2007 12:48 am

SMS I see lots of lost signs around where I live, and none of them state things like you have mentioned, all just give a picture of the animal and description, date last seen etc with a name etc and a phone number.

The frightening thing I find is that I see so many of these posters around, at least one a fortnight. Why?
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 06 Oct 2007 1:04 am

micknlea wrote:SMS I see lots of lost signs around where I live, and none of them state things like you have mentioned, all just give a picture of the animal and description, date last seen etc with a name etc and a phone number.

The frightening thing I find is that I see so many of these posters around, at least one a fortnight. Why?
As I have to work tomorrow I'll see if the signs near the bus stop at my place is still up as well as the one in clementi near where I work. If they are I'll take a photo of them and post them here.

Why you ask? Last paragraph of my thread starter. Most pets that are happy tend to stay nearby home. Mistreated animals tend to wander till they get hungry. Course kids also pick them up and take them home as well because the owners are usually too damn lazy to walk their dogs and pets thrive on attention so kids outside provide what the owners don't (they would also have to clean up the dogshit wouldn't they?) Heaven forbid. They cannot even throw the flyers from the mailboxes in the trashbins right next to the mail boxes. Why? Now I've gone and done it. More fuel for the flames! :o

seasider
Chatter
Chatter

Post by seasider » Sat, 06 Oct 2007 8:10 am

seasider wrote: I have heard of somebody ringing up a person to ask how much. Money talks, eh? :(
That was my comment, not sms's, and I assure you it's not a mere anecdote. I was deliberately sketchy with details. It's one incident, but then I didn't say otherwise.

I've seen posters like sms mentions - not many, but then I used to see them around HV and I haven't lived there for 3.5 years. Most animals round my neighbourhood are stray anyway, because either they or their parents somewhere down the line were abandoned.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 06 Oct 2007 9:03 am

Morning update as almost promised taken at 07:15 today. The one from the northeast near my place is still there (see photo) but the clementi one is down.

Who in their right mind lets small skittish, hyperactive dogs run loose without being on a leash?

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Sat, 06 Oct 2007 9:33 am

when our little dog was taken from our place, we asked the police what we should do. they said to offer a reward and the dog would be returned. we put the info in the ST and voila, said dog was returned. i guess its fairly widespread here -- taking dogs for a quick profit. this was a long time ago and at that time police said it happened mostly to expats since they keep dogs as pets more than protection.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Sat, 06 Oct 2007 5:00 pm

I agree that dognapping for a ransom is terrible, and I also believe that some people may see a poster offering a reward and take the trouble to search for the dog only if the reward is large enough. I just wonder why posters on this board never seem to meet the many kind-hearted, animal-loving people in this country who find and look after lost pets and refuse a reward. I know the people who found my dog refused to take anything, not even a gift let alone cash. Maybe it's just human nature, especially here, to focus on the negative. Or maybe it's karma and nice people attract other nice people into their lives and vice versa. :cool:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 06 Oct 2007 8:42 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:I agree that dognapping for a ransom is terrible, and I also believe that some people may see a poster offering a reward and take the trouble to search for the dog only if the reward is large enough. I just wonder why posters on this board never seem to meet the many kind-hearted, animal-loving people in this country who find and look after lost pets and refuse a reward. I know the people who found my dog refused to take anything, not even a gift let alone cash. Maybe it's just human nature, especially here, to focus on the negative. Or maybe it's karma and nice people attract other nice people into their lives and vice versa. :cool:
You just dissed one earlier in the thread. seasider and friends (all from the Singapore Forum (sewing circle) have been doing it for years. If you will read seasider's recent post you will see she was trying to give me her latest street cat who has taken up residence with her. The count is up in the dozens between about half a dozen of them. Before I moved to an HDB I also used the keep a bit of a boarding house in Seletar.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Sun, 07 Oct 2007 12:47 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:You just dissed one earlier in the thread. seasider and friends (all from the Singapore Forum (sewing circle) have been doing it for years. If you will read seasider's recent post you will see she was trying to give me her latest street cat who has taken up residence with her. The count is up in the dozens between about half a dozen of them. Before I moved to an HDB I also used the keep a bit of a boarding house in Seletar.
You know I respect you too much to diss you. I was just taking you to task for dissing others, in my view, unfairly. I think it's wonderful of you to take in strays, and I can understand why the poster you gets your gut. Only an animal lover would get upset over something like that, so I don't doubt you are one.

Sigh, maybe it's time for me to take a break. I've realised there's only that much I can take of criticisms about Singaporeans at a time. And it's not just this thread but the build-up from others as well. Got to work on that Nirvana thing. I'm sorry if I came across nastily. I didn't mean to.

:cry: :console:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 07 Oct 2007 11:02 am

No need to apologize. See my PM. :console:

DimWit Kid
Chatter
Chatter

Post by DimWit Kid » Sun, 07 Oct 2007 11:24 am

sms, shouldn't you use this emoticon instead: :kiss:

:D