Singapore Expats

Requirements to be a Silkair girl & what to prepare?

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
lovelorn

Post by lovelorn » Thu, 04 Oct 2007 12:12 am

thank you darl. :)

Stu

Post by Stu » Thu, 04 Oct 2007 4:47 pm

Plavt wrote:
chai ching wrote:. But in the first place,
how come there are still people attending the interview and
yet get selected. But in the end, regret and resign.
That's the airline world; some things are not as glamorous or as appealing when seen from the inside.
I think it is because it can be quite tiring. As mentioned previously, if after a long flight, I feel knackered/tired and all I have been doing is watching movies and taking naps in between meals and movies, then the cabin crew must be totally exhausted....

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Thu, 04 Oct 2007 9:02 pm

Stu wrote: I think it is because it can be quite tiring. As mentioned previously, if after a long flight, I feel knackered/tired and all I have been doing is watching movies and taking naps in between meals and movies, then the cabin crew must be totally exhausted....
This is what so many members of the public and potential applicants fail to grasp. Example: I flew from Hong Kong to Singapore the flight was at 13.30 by SIA. The plane had left Singapore at 08.30 on the outward journey; the crew have to be there two hours ahead of departure. The stewardess to whom I was talking to had to be up around 04.30 am to prepare herself and get to the airport. By the time we arrived in Singapore it was around 17.00 and the plane usually takes around 40 minutes to off-load. That means she (the FA) would not have gotten home to around 20.00 - a long, long day.

Those who have worked shifts including me will know only too well that when you get up at 'un-natural' hours come midday you will simply want to go home - bad news if you had a sleepless night. :(

Coupled with this is the problem with flying through the various time zones and landing in various countries at irregular hours plus the effect of the cabin air on one's health. I believe middle ear infection are either common or a problem for aircrew?

Those who work for budget airlines can expect to be backwards and forwards for long hours. All in all it is a very tiring job and very likely you would never be out of 'tired mode'. Just looking at the example above should tell you enough to realize the girl would not have been fit for much afterwards despite her youthful years.
Last edited by Plavt on Sat, 15 Nov 2008 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

queenie-me
Reporter
Reporter

Post by queenie-me » Thu, 04 Oct 2007 10:05 pm

Plavt wrote:
Stu wrote: I think it is because it can be quite tiring. As mentioned previously, if after a long flight, I feel knackered/tired and all I have been doing is watching movies and taking naps in between meals and movies, then the cabin crew must be totally exhausted....
This is what so many members of the public and potential applicants fail to grasp. Example: I flew from Hong to Singapore the flight was at 13.30 by SIA. The plane had left Singapore at 08.30 on the outward journey; the crew have to be there two hours ahead of departure. The stewardess whom I was talking to had to be up around 04.30 am to prepare herself and get to the airport. By the time we arrived in Singapore it was around 17.00 and the plane usually takes around 40 minutes to off-load. That means she (the FA) would not have gotten home to around 20.00 - a long, long day.

Those who have worked shifts including me will know only too well that when you get up at 'un-natural' hours come midday you will simply want to go home - bad news if you had a sleepless night. :(

Coupled with this is the problem with flying through the various time zones and landing in various countries at irregular hours plus the effect of the cabin air on one's health. I believe middle ear infection are either common or a problem for aircrew?

Those who work for budget airlines can expect to be backwards and forwards for long hours. All in all it is a very tiring job and very likely you would never be out of 'tired mode'. Just looking at the example above should tell you enough to realize the girl would not have been fit for much afterwards despite her youthful years.
Hehehe... someone can read the air crew mind. IF ONLY ALL PASSENGERS ARE LIKE YOU, I'm sure we wouldn't have any hard time..

Stu

Post by Stu » Fri, 05 Oct 2007 12:28 pm

queenie-me wrote:
Plavt wrote:
This is what so many members of the public and potential applicants fail to grasp. Example: I flew from Hong to Singapore the flight was at 13.30 by SIA. The plane had left Singapore at 08.30 on the outward journey; the crew have to be there two hours ahead of departure. The stewardess whom I was talking to had to be up around 04.30 am to prepare herself and get to the airport. By the time we arrived in Singapore it was around 17.00 and the plane usually takes around 40 minutes to off-load. That means she (the FA) would not have gotten home to around 20.00 - a long, long day.

Hehehe... someone can read the air crew mind. IF ONLY ALL PASSENGERS ARE LIKE YOU, I'm sure we wouldn't have any hard time..
Don't worry, I am a model passenger! :)

I never press the attendent call button. If I need an ad hoc drink, I usually walk to the galley myself & take the opportunity to stretch my legs. :)

icywizzy

Post by icywizzy » Fri, 14 Nov 2008 5:58 pm

may i ask if its a must to learn foreign language to become a air-stewardess ?
and what kind of courses should i take in poly to become an air-stewardess ? i've been hesitating these questions awhile already .. can anyone tell me ?
Thank you :D

sherrielynn
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sherrielynn » Fri, 14 Nov 2008 8:57 pm

icywizzy wrote:may i ask if its a must to learn foreign language to become a air-stewardess ?
and what kind of courses should i take in poly to become an air-stewardess ? i've been hesitating these questions awhile already .. can anyone tell me ?
its not a must to learn a foreign language but would be an incentive to your job application as a CC.
theres no such courses in poly tt will lead you to being a CC. do with the course you wish to do if not you will regret it... i've friends who grad from Accounting, Early childhood(myself) and we all ended up being CC. lol
Flutterby Flutterby

icywizzy

Post by icywizzy » Fri, 14 Nov 2008 9:12 pm

sherrielynn wrote:
icywizzy wrote:may i ask if its a must to learn foreign language to become a air-stewardess ?
its not a must to learn a foreign language but would be an incentive to your job application as a CC.
theres no such courses in poly tt will lead you to being a CC. do with the course you wish to do if not you will regret it... i've friends who grad from Accounting, Early childhood(myself) and we all ended up being CC. lol
Alright Thanks ! :D

icywizzy

Post by icywizzy » Sat, 15 Nov 2008 1:35 pm

Sorry :oops: , i have another question to ask ,
do CC have to have perfect eyesight ?

trevormyboy
Regular
Regular

Post by trevormyboy » Sat, 15 Nov 2008 3:59 pm

queenie-me wrote:
blackapple wrote:i agree with queenie-me, go international!!

dont waste your 'youth' and effort...
hehe... I experience it all. And I am telling you. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME AND EFFORT.
Go International because: they offer better benefits and you get to travel.
Young people should not waste time on an airline who doesn't appreciate someone's hard work.
Go somewhere that can bring me places. Can bring you to where you want to go in the near future... Bring your career forward then stuck there and feel regret! ;)

Thats how I feel, and I would like to share.
I am TOTALLY agree! i was stuck but free now!

highupinthesky

Post by highupinthesky » Mon, 17 Nov 2008 8:32 pm

icywizzy wrote:Sorry :oops: , i have another question to ask ,
nope. need not have perfect eyesight =) but u'll need to wear contact lenses..

icywizzy

Post by icywizzy » Tue, 18 Nov 2008 3:31 am

highupinthesky wrote:
icywizzy wrote:Sorry :oops: , i have another question to ask ,
nope. need not have perfect eyesight =) but u'll need to wear contact lenses..
Alright , THANKS alot(: