Singapore Expats

Reclassification of EP from P2 to Q1

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Travis Gant

Reclassification of EP from P2 to Q1

Post by Travis Gant » Tue, 02 Oct 2007 10:21 am

Has anyone experience being reclassified to another type of work permit? I am moving to a new company which pay less but better overall total rewards... Downgrade would be almost 50% of my original rate but this is going to be a permanent job.

Do you think I will still get EP approval with this condition? Or should I rather talk to my receiving employer to keep my current EP classification status? Note that I've only with my current company for 3 months and moving to a new one in November.

Lastly, how would my EP declared salary impact my income tax?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 02 Oct 2007 3:01 pm

It's possible that maybe you shouldn't burn any bridges.

Often when foreign employees do the hopscotch job hopping thing, MOM gets wise the the fact that the foreigner is using the 1st employee as nothing more than a paid visa. Some of them actually are subsequently rejected when previously accepted for the first job. (I know this for a fact).

Obviously this isn't the case where you are looking at significant downgrade of salary but yes it is probable that you will not be able to keep your existing EP level if your new position does not meet the minimum qualifications for the old level. However, it shouldn't matter that much as you will still have an EP here. If it because of the different benefits of the pass levels (regarding the bringing in of relatives and so forth) then you would do well to think carefully as you will get automatically downgraded if you don't qualify for the Higher level.

For that matter we recently had an individual post here who applied for and was qualified for a P1 Visa but was only given a P2. The MOM guidelines are just that, only guidelines. They give only the minimum guidelines to be "considered" for the position. They do not guarantee it however.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”