Singapore Expats

Recommendation for simple make up courses

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
frennade

Recommendation for simple make up courses

Post by frennade » Wed, 05 Sep 2007 11:35 am

hi all

any recommendations for simple make up courses? teachg how to apply mascara, eye shadow and etc?

Blue Sapphire
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Blue Sapphire » Thu, 06 Sep 2007 1:57 pm

This might be helpful...I came across it on one of my online newsletters. I dont know how they are though.

http://www.f-3.com.sg/women_services.htm

AndreaClaire

Post by AndreaClaire » Sat, 08 Sep 2007 9:15 pm

MAC always has classes and will do one on one in the stores. I come from a very strong hair and make up background and would highly recommend them. They can gear it from minimal looks to dramatic - whatever you want. In Canada the fee I believe was $20 and then you had that in a store credit.

dreampotion
Regular
Regular

Post by dreampotion » Mon, 10 Sep 2007 9:57 pm

ivillage has short videos of makeup demostrations
apparently by makeup artists for top models in ny

they have a series of short videos

heres one
http://video.ivillage.com/player/?id=26122

AndreaClaire

Post by AndreaClaire » Mon, 10 Sep 2007 11:01 pm

Right! I forgot about those. There are some on youtube as well. They are great if you can follow it. My experience most women get more value from hands-on experience.

If you are on the mrt or buses you can watch Stylin' Gypsies - that's good for tips too - personal plug - I'm the hair and make up artist on the show - so funny that it's on here!!

bubblesland

Post by bubblesland » Fri, 14 Sep 2007 10:00 pm

u get get lessons from Ros & Roy make up counter @ Bugis.
i learnt mine there...

whim

Post by whim » Fri, 21 Sep 2007 5:04 pm

Hi, actually departmental store cosmetic brands like Estee Lauder, YSL, Kose etc, will periodically come up with promotions where you pay $X (e.g. $60) for a make-up class but the entire amount is redeemable for that brand's products.

Bobbi Brown was also running a course of 4 make-up classes last year, but I don't think they still do it.

The ads for these will either appear in the newspapers (especially ST's Life on Thursday) or via credit card mailers. Typically, the ads also tends to be when the brands release their spring/summer or autumn/winter collection. The companies are trying to raise the profile of their new colours, that's why they time it.

[I used to be from the perfume & cosmetics industry, that's why I know there's this pattern :)]

I find this is a good way to learn some simple makeup tips while getting your money's worth e.g. the make-up class becomes free if you get their products.

That being said, after learning make-up tips, it's important to practice. Buy some inexpensive basic cosmetics & good brushes and experiment in e privacy of your own home.

Although I've learnt tricks before, as my work makeup is super-minimal, I can't draw smokey eyes or complicated makeup etc due to lack of practice.

Hope this helps.

whim

Post by whim » Sun, 23 Sep 2007 11:18 pm

Hi, The Body Shop is going to having a Makeover Marathon on Sat 27 Oct. The fee is S$40, but fully redeemable for The Body Shop make-up products on the same day. Full proceeds will go to the Centre for Promoting Alternatives to Violence (an against-domestic violence cause)

2 birds with 1 stone, you learn how to do make-up plus do a good deed.

If you want to learn how to do your make-up from makeovers, bring a handheld or standing mirror. That way when the make-up artist stands between you and the mirror, (especially when they're doing the eyes), you can still see what they're doing.

Clarification: I don't work for Body Shop (and never did in the past). I received an UOB brochure telling me the above. I used to use Body Shop cosmetics until I was introduced to luxury brands like YSL and could really tell the difference. But for newbies, The Body Shop is pretty good.

PerfumeStore

Post by PerfumeStore » Tue, 12 Jan 2010 3:40 pm

i think u should go youtube. lots of videos on makeup. they intro new products as well, especially those in korea and taiwan.

Greenies
Regular
Regular

Post by Greenies » Tue, 12 Jan 2010 7:30 pm

this was more than 2 years ago... :roll:

kimora
Regular
Regular

Post by kimora » Wed, 13 Jan 2010 10:24 am

Cosmoprof offers make up classes.