Singapore Expats

JAL - JAPAN Airlines

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
pinkhunnibee

Post by pinkhunnibee » Thu, 20 Sep 2007 9:34 am

Hi Chai Ching

I am feeling the same way as u now...its already thurs and chances of getting shortlisted would be really slim

Sighz..it sux not to be even given a chance!

the_airhead

Post by the_airhead » Thu, 20 Sep 2007 9:37 am

hi girls (assuming everyone here would be girls with the same dream!)

freakin' newbie here but i just had to sign-up and speak up coz i have a pressing question.

for anyone who knows or who has ever gone through the JAL interview, is it true JAL only takes chinese girls? i mean, even from the first round, during the initial shortlisting from the submitted forms.....those who are in JAL/have been to JAL's interviews, did/do you know/see ANY non-chinese girls trying out or already in JAL?

i'm malay and am an ex-crew from Emirates and just quit in may this year...thought I'd give JAL a try since I ALREADY miss flying (and it's only been four months or so since I quit and returned to Singapore!) but someone told me it's an all-Chinese ensemble. aiyyyooo..true or not ah?

(no offence okay..i disclaim ANY racist remarks or assumptions..this is only because this someone told me JAL only considers chinese girls because chinese girls would easily pass off as japanese girls, that's why they SPECIFICALLY put English and Mandarin as a requirement even though as an international airline, they would need other languages too.)

thanks and take flight! :)

misspianoforte

Post by misspianoforte » Thu, 20 Sep 2007 1:15 pm

--del
Last edited by misspianoforte on Sat, 05 Jul 2008 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

chai ching
Chatter
Chatter

Post by chai ching » Thu, 20 Sep 2007 11:47 pm

Exactly. Guess no chance for both us. We shall wait and see
JAL will send us another email for oct interview?

quote="pinkhunnibee"]Hi Chai Ching

I am feeling the same way as u now...its already thurs and chances of getting shortlisted would be really slim

Sighz..it sux not to be even given a chance![/quote]

chai ching
Chatter
Chatter

Post by chai ching » Thu, 20 Sep 2007 11:55 pm

Hi The_airhead,

Though i didnt gone through for JAL experience. But at least i know a bit.
Let me share it with you. Yup you are right. JAL prefer chinese girls.
As what you hear and say. JAL need us to read chinese passage if you
are successful for the 2nd interview.

You are right. As JAL prefer girls must have good complexion and good
eyesight. By the way, dont mind me asking you something? Flying for
Emirates is a good airline. But what makes you want to resign. If you have been flying quite well? How long have you been flying?

Emirates benefits are really good. Moreover, based in Dubai.
Dont you like it?

quote="the_airhead"]hi girls (assuming everyone here would be girls with the same dream!)

freakin' newbie here but i just had to sign-up and speak up coz i have a pressing question.

for anyone who knows or who has ever gone through the JAL interview, is it true JAL only takes chinese girls? i mean, even from the first round, during the initial shortlisting from the submitted forms.....those who are in JAL/have been to JAL's interviews, did/do you know/see ANY non-chinese girls trying out or already in JAL?

i'm malay and am an ex-crew from Emirates and just quit in may this year...thought I'd give JAL a try since I ALREADY miss flying (and it's only been four months or so since I quit and returned to Singapore!) but someone told me it's an all-Chinese ensemble. aiyyyooo..true or not ah?

(no offence okay..i disclaim ANY racist remarks or assumptions..this is only because this someone told me JAL only considers chinese girls because chinese girls would easily pass off as japanese girls, that's why they SPECIFICALLY put English and Mandarin as a requirement even though as an international airline, they would need other languages too.)

thanks and take flight! :)[/quote]

the_airhead

Post by the_airhead » Fri, 21 Sep 2007 6:24 am

hey hey..:)

thanks for replying girls! at least i don't have to wonder whether they'll call me or not...coz they won't. i can converse in mandarin (thanks to many formative years of watching channel 8 dramas!) but i can't read. so that's how the cookie crumbles!

yes, flying for Emirates was amazing and a real experience i'm glad i managed to have in my early-20s. i flew for 3.5 years, finished one contract, took my end-of-contract bonus and said farewell because well, things changed. also, many people, especially asians, stay for one or two contracts and then leave for their own reasons, whatever they are.

my reason for leaving was not because of the company or that i got tired of flying (you can NEVER get tired of flying!) but because of the state of life in dubai. i wasn't living in the company-provided apartments because i got married in my 2nd year of flying to my batchmate and in EK, once you get married ,you have to find your own place to live....the company will provide you with the housing allowance in-lieu of the company apartments.

there is a HUGE difference when living in company apartments and living in your own home. in company apartments, everything from work transport to electricity and water bills to basic furniture and appliances are provided. when its your own home=EVERYTHING is your responsibility. a fixed allowance is provided yearly for rental and transport and an interest-free furniture loan..which sounds good but in the past 2 years, rentals have gone sky-high (our rent wasn't so bad but we had to live quite far from the city area!) and although cars in Dubai are SO CHEAP, traffic jams everywhere in dubai have become MADDENING. so if you get to work in your own transport and you are late for a flight because of a traffic jam, it's YOUR butt they'll fry. at least in company transport, if u are caught in a traffic jam, it's not your fault.

so it becomes a vicious cycle and things get worse and more expensive so my husband and i decided we've had enough of life in dubai and are now in singapore, re-settling our lives. honestly, its SO good to be back after being away for so long!

but please don't be turned off by living in dubai or trying for emirates if anyone who reads this is thinking of it....emirates is still a good airline and as one of you mentioned, the benefits are great and working with foreigners really make you wake-up to the real world coz you realize that we singaporeans are truly a class of our own! my advice would be when in EK, to STAY PUT in company-provided apartments and not be itchy to move out!

married crew have to move out but single crew are given the option to stay or move out and some of my single friends have opted to move out coz they are lured by the freedom of not having a roommate and having the option to buy furniture and design the house to their own tastes but when they realize they cannot survive the rental and all, they are NOT allowed to move back into company accommodation coz that's the rule!

so stay within the apartments and if you get a good flatmate it will be actually quite fun, like living the hostel life again! i didn't have much fun in my only year of living in company apartment coz my flatmate was a bit weird..she was from India and she stayed in her room A LOT (even had a microwave in her room where i once saw her defrost a frozen chicken!). but the EK accommodation department were very kind and gave my then-boyfriend the apartment NEXT door..hehehe!! notti notti!

most of my singaporean friends managed to apply to move in with each other so they're still having loads of fun. i was one of the few itchy ones who got married..heheh.

ewww.... i've talked too much as usual. for those applying for JAL, good luck, dolls!! as with any airline interview, smile a lot, be impeccably groomed and carry yourself well! all the best!

chai ching
Chatter
Chatter

Post by chai ching » Fri, 21 Sep 2007 10:28 pm

hello....

no worry. wow 3.5 year of flying is actually not bad. if you are still
not yet marry. guess you wont quit yet and will continue flying?
i was hoping that one day i can get select and base in Dubai.as i
like emirates. its really a good airline and benefits are good too.

try for many times, and yet still doesnt get it. sigh.... yup thats great
that you got it when you are in your early 20-s. should start young and early if you really wish to fly. so when you quit. at least you have a
taste of flying experience. i start to attend interview when im 21 or 22.
have been trying for so many years that until i have 25.

sob sob.... so old already. when can i ever get to fulfill my wish and
my dreams come true? you know your husband is he also a steward
or a pilot? did you know him while you are flying or you get to know
him in Dubai? but isnt it such a waste that both of your have quit and
return back to sinhapore.

although its true that you and your husband have come back to
singapore and settle your lifes. but is that really what you all want?
any planning of what to do for your ntext future? or you will still
continue flying but not Emirtaes? you prefer to be base in singapore?

the_airhead wrote:hey hey..:)

thanks for replying girls! at least i don't have to wonder whether they'll call me or not...coz they won't. i can converse in mandarin (thanks to many formative years of watching channel 8 dramas!) but i can't read. so that's how the cookie crumbles!

yes, flying for Emirates was amazing and a real experience i'm glad i managed to have in my early-20s. i flew for 3.5 years, finished one contract, took my end-of-contract bonus and said farewell because well, things changed. also, many people, especially asians, stay for one or two contracts and then leave for their own reasons, whatever they are.

my reason for leaving was not because of the company or that i got tired of flying (you can NEVER get tired of flying!) but because of the state of life in dubai. i wasn't living in the company-provided apartments because i got married in my 2nd year of flying to my batchmate and in EK, once you get married ,you have to find your own place to live....the company will provide you with the housing allowance in-lieu of the company apartments.

there is a HUGE difference when living in company apartments and living in your own home. in company apartments, everything from work transport to electricity and water bills to basic furniture and appliances are provided. when its your own home=EVERYTHING is your responsibility. a fixed allowance is provided yearly for rental and transport and an interest-free furniture loan..which sounds good but in the past 2 years, rentals have gone sky-high (our rent wasn't so bad but we had to live quite far from the city area!) and although cars in Dubai are SO CHEAP, traffic jams everywhere in dubai have become MADDENING. so if you get to work in your own transport and you are late for a flight because of a traffic jam, it's YOUR butt they'll fry. at least in company transport, if u are caught in a traffic jam, it's not your fault.

so it becomes a vicious cycle and things get worse and more expensive so my husband and i decided we've had enough of life in dubai and are now in singapore, re-settling our lives. honestly, its SO good to be back after being away for so long!

but please don't be turned off by living in dubai or trying for emirates if anyone who reads this is thinking of it....emirates is still a good airline and as one of you mentioned, the benefits are great and working with foreigners really make you wake-up to the real world coz you realize that we singaporeans are truly a class of our own! my advice would be when in EK, to STAY PUT in company-provided apartments and not be itchy to move out!

married crew have to move out but single crew are given the option to stay or move out and some of my single friends have opted to move out coz they are lured by the freedom of not having a roommate and having the option to buy furniture and design the house to their own tastes but when they realize they cannot survive the rental and all, they are NOT allowed to move back into company accommodation coz that's the rule!

so stay within the apartments and if you get a good flatmate it will be actually quite fun, like living the hostel life again! i didn't have much fun in my only year of living in company apartment coz my flatmate was a bit weird..she was from India and she stayed in her room A LOT (even had a microwave in her room where i once saw her defrost a frozen chicken!). but the EK accommodation department were very kind and gave my then-boyfriend the apartment NEXT door..hehehe!! notti notti!

most of my singaporean friends managed to apply to move in with each other so they're still having loads of fun. i was one of the few itchy ones who got married..heheh.

ewww.... i've talked too much as usual. for those applying for JAL, good luck, dolls!! as with any airline interview, smile a lot, be impeccably groomed and carry yourself well! all the best!

theknees
Chatter
Chatter

Post by theknees » Fri, 21 Sep 2007 11:04 pm

good luck to all those going for the interview tmw!
:D
ღ i wanna kiss you underneath the stars //

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 21 Sep 2007 11:05 pm

we singaporeans are truly a class of our own!
The truest statement on this forum yet, thank you for your post and good information.

JerBearo
Regular
Regular

Post by JerBearo » Fri, 21 Sep 2007 11:05 pm

what interview is there tml?

theknees
Chatter
Chatter

Post by theknees » Fri, 21 Sep 2007 11:08 pm

Plavt wrote:

we singaporeans are truly a class of our own!
The truest statement on this forum yet, thank you for your post and good information.
are you being sarcastic? :P
ღ i wanna kiss you underneath the stars //

the_airhead

Post by the_airhead » Sat, 22 Sep 2007 12:00 pm

chai ching wrote:hello....

no worry. wow 3.5 year of flying is actually not bad. if you are still
not yet marry. guess you wont quit yet and will continue flying?
i was hoping that one day i can get select and base in Dubai.as i
like emirates. its really a good airline and benefits are good too.

try for many times, and yet still doesnt get it. sigh.... yup thats great
that you got it when you are in your early 20-s. should start young and early if you really wish to fly. so when you quit. at least you have a
taste of flying experience. i start to attend interview when im 21 or 22.
have been trying for so many years that until i have 25.

sob sob.... so old already. when can i ever get to fulfill my wish and
my dreams come true? you know your husband is he also a steward
or a pilot? did you know him while you are flying or you get to know
him in Dubai? but isnt it such a waste that both of your have quit and
return back to sinhapore.

although its true that you and your husband have come back to
singapore and settle your lifes. but is that really what you all want?
any planning of what to do for your ntext future? or you will still
continue flying but not Emirtaes? you prefer to be base in singapore?

hi doll,

my aren't you inquisitive! :) however, since i opened the can of worms,i'll oblige...:)

if i'm not married, i will probably not quit (yet!) because i will still be living the single Dubaian crew life, whatever that is. honestly, i never knew coz i was never single when I was in Dubai but from what I observed, it is a non-stop parrrrty! bear in mind, in dubai, only 10% of the population are local Arabs-the rest are expats. and they party HARD. The rest of the local Arabs mostly reside in the other six UAE states like Abu Dhabi, Sharjah and Ajman. therefore the lifestyle is hardly a Muslim one so expect clubbing,drinks and major hangovers night after night on your days off! :P

you're only 25? fret not, still young, my dear. when i was flying, i recall meeting new crew at the still-young age if 31!! in fact, one of my batchgirls was 30 when we started training!

my husband is my batchmate (as i mentioned) so yes, he WAS a steward. now, he is a student pilot...another reason why we're happy to be home. :) we met BEFORE we joined EK and i was the one who FORCED him to appy for EK with me coz I was kinda desperate at that time as i was jobless (waiting for SQ's callback during the SARS period for newly-recruited trainees...which didn't happen for MONTHS!!). he got invited to be part of the first batch of candidates and mine was the second, which was the day after but we got through together and subsequently became batchmates (but his half of the batch was the morning class...mine was the afternoon so we HARDLY saw each other during the training period!).

at the moment, yes, being home is what we really want that's why we upped and left. perhaps when the need comes for us to relocate again, i know we would be itchy enough to go but we'll still keep coming back, regardless. and home is where our families are, even though at first when i got the job i was eager to leave everything and everybody. Now, three-plus years and many countries later, i've come to appreciate whom i left behind when i'm so far away. especially when my late father died when i was still stuck in dubai, unable to get a flight home and i didn't get to see him alive.

i guess you can say that it is all part and parcel of the job situation i took on and i should live with it but..i am only human, there's only so much i can take for a job. i do know that i was SO LUCKY to have my boyfriend/fiance/husband with me all the time when i was in dubai...i know of friends who spend money, time and tears over the boyfriends they left behind in singapore when they went to dubai. long-distance relationships are hard! and many eventually quit after one or two contracts and sometimes, just one or two YEARS, as i mentioned before, to go home to their loved ones. one of my ex-crew friends from EK, who left a few months before i did and only flew for 2 years, is now mom to a beautiful baby after returning to singapore to marry her boyfriend! yes, we all have our own reasons, our own goals, our own stories and destinies...

on a more non-emotional front, seeing our choice as such a "waste" is only subjective because you, and many people, don't know half of the realities of living in Dubai as cabin crew with accommodation responsibilities and all, as i mentioned, even with the good salary and benefits EK can offer. not many crew are married and these crew in company apartments have it really easy, trust me. AND personally, to me, pumping my good money to a greedy landlord in a country without rent-control for an overpriced apartment is a waste as well as risking your work record with silly things like tardiness just because of lousy drivers on cramped roads causing traffic jams. all that is just WASTE..especially when one works so hard....

and as good as EK is, it is still a company with a management you CAN find fault with coz NOTHING in this life is perfect but i won't go into details with that. just bear in mind that asians are still asians in EK so like in too many places in the world, white supremacy is still the way to go. AND this is also a waste to me coz us asians are hard workers with good work ethics! and it doesn't help that many people think most asians can't speak proper english.... i've had an ang-moh stewardess speak to me in slow precise sentences, like when you talk to a child, when she first met me coz she assumed i am asian so i lacked the english tongue. i just humoured her though, that one time, coz i was in a good mood. :P

so in conclusion, my husband IS doing what he really wants to do now so he does not regret quitting though he doesn't regret his dubai life one bit. i don't regret quitting too but i DO miss flying (and i DO miss the lovely car i had in Dubai and the fantastic retail sales that seem to happen ALL THE TIME!) and my future plans do include flying post-EK. Isn't that why this whole thing started? You know, you answering me when i asked about JAL?

so yes, i intend to try for SQ/UA/MI/TG/3K too..whatever is available nad is willing to accept me.... so we'll see how. that is, if i don't get pregnant first. hehhhehehe.

once again, i've made a whole thesis of my points...so typical of me, i'm sorry. i hope you (and no one else) got a fit from reading so much. :)

take care and take flight everyone! :) and chai ching, good luck!

the_airhead

Post by the_airhead » Sat, 22 Sep 2007 12:26 pm

i do realize how silly of me to go full-on about EK on a forum that clearly discusses JAL...sorry much!! :oops:

Deer Bambi

Post by Deer Bambi » Sun, 23 Sep 2007 8:17 pm

anybody got in for this round of JAL intake? :lol:

lisy6806

Post by lisy6806 » Mon, 24 Sep 2007 12:34 pm

Hihi, a little pc of advice to share with you because my sister will be interviewing you people on JAL recruitment.

Things to prepare:-

Paint your finger nails to nude color
Tie up your hair neat; JAL is very particular on hair
Long sleeve best in office attire
Fair skin no scars on your hands
Dont behave too confident, they hate it!
And normal full length photos will do, dont go to the extreme of giving them your full make-over photos! It sure dont help!
Speak gently and demure
Black hair

ALL THE BEST!