Singapore Expats

Gardasil Available?

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
Abra

Gardasil Available?

Post by Abra » Mon, 17 Sep 2007 2:58 am

Hello,
I am a 22-year old American moving to Singapore at the end of the year. I have yet to get the Gardasil vaccine, and as it is 3 treatments over a course of six months, I am wondering if it is easily available in Singapore? I have found places online saying it is there, but is this something I could get at a Polyclinic? Or somewhere else? I am hoping to get the first two shots in the US, and the last one in Singapore. Has anyone else gotten this vaccination in SG?

Thanks for your help!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Gardasil Available?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 17 Sep 2007 11:13 am

Abra wrote:Hello,
I am a 22-year old American moving to Singapore at the end of the year. I have yet to get the Gardasil vaccine, and as it is 3 treatments over a course of six months, I am wondering if it is easily available in Singapore? I have found places online saying it is there, but is this something I could get at a Polyclinic? Or somewhere else? I am hoping to get the first two shots in the US, and the last one in Singapore. Has anyone else gotten this vaccination in SG?

Thanks for your help!
I had to google this one as you did not give us enough data to work with (like what gender or what it's for. So Google turned up this bit of news:
Fri, September 14, 2007
Warning bells over Gardasil

By LYN COCKBURN

It's the saviour of young girls. It's a revolution. It's a miracle - a stunning scientific discovery.

Its name is Gardasil and it leaps tall buildings. It is a vaccine and helps to protect girls and women against cervical cancer.

It is so ground breakingly powerful that the Canadian government has designated $300 million for a program to vaccinate girls ages nine to 13.

Already, three provinces in Canada are offering Gardasil vaccines in their elementary schools. Ontario, Newfoundland and P.E.I. are starting an inoculation program with other provinces considering similar plans. Vaccinations, at least for now, are voluntary.

Statistics show that, in Canada, some 1,400 women are diagnosed each year with cervical cancer and each year, about 400 die.

So what's not to like about this mighty Gardasil? A lot. At the top of the list is the hype which is highly misleading.

Parents may be forgiven if they've come to believe that this is the ultimate cervical cancer vaccine and that it will protect their girls well into womanhood.

It isn't and we don't know if it will. It isn't a cure for cervical cancer and it isn't a vaccine to prevent cervical cancer. Yet, even the Canadian Cancer Society which endorses Gardasil refers to it as "the cervical cancer vaccine."

Instead, it is a vaccine against the human papilloma virus (HPV) some strains of which lead to the development of about 70% of cervical cancer.

HPV is the world's most common sexually transmitted infection among both men and women. And there are about 200 different strains of the virus. Gardasil protects against four.

Thirty per cent of cervical cancers are associated with other causes including some strains of HPV which are not covered by Gardasil.

And at present, there is no evidence showing that the three innoculations required are long lasting. The longest study of any girls who've had the vaccine is four years, so any suggestion that it's three shots and you're safe is, at best, misleading.

Scientists may well discover that yearly booster shots are necessary.

The frantic hype about Gardasil suggests that the medical profession does not presently know how to prevent cervical cancer. It does.

Pap tests have cut cervical cancer rates by 50% in the last 40 years. The death rate is down 60%. Cervical cancer, while obviously a dreadful disease, is not an epidemic in Canada.

Moreover, the spin surrounding Gardasil may easily and tragically convince women and parents that Pap tests are unnecessary, that the use of condoms is passe, that a needle in the arm is life-long protection against cervical cancer.

So why this rush to vaccinate? Surely the ubiquitous marketing of Gardasil has nothing to do with the fact that its manufacturer, Merck, has but a few years to exclusively sell its product before its patent runs out?

And then there's the question of this vaccine being administered exclusively to girls.

HPV is passed around with amazing speed and ease. Often there is no way of telling who gave it to whom. It is sexually transmitted, outside and inside holy matrimony.

So I'll spare you the lecture on abstinence, the argument brought to you by the same people who believe sex education turns teens into sexual lunatics.

HPV is highly present in boys and men.

In fact, this virus is associated with cancer of the penis and of the anus.

In addition, many males are carriers, have no symptoms themselves, yet pass it on to their sexual partners and their wives.

So, why are we not eagerly vaccinating boys, boys say, as young as nine? Or 11? Or 13?

In this rush to vaccinate Canadian girls with Gardasil, the green light has been turned on far too quickly, with far too little thought and not enough definitive testing.
I am a little surprised that Singapore has accepted it usage. With this latest bit of news, it might not last for long. As a point of reference, they used to distribute Vioxx here until it was taken off the US shelves. Now they don't even though the US has put it back on the shelves for almost a year now. Maybe you should do a wee bit more research before starting this.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Mon, 17 Sep 2007 11:30 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I am a little surprised that Singapore has accepted it usage. With this latest bit of news, it might not last for long. As a point of reference, they used to distribute Vioxx here until it was taken off the US shelves. Now they don't even though the US has put it back on the shelves for almost a year now. Maybe you should do a wee bit more research before starting this.
Take any negative news you read about Gardasil with a grain of salt. Because HPV is a sexually transmitted virus, and Gardasil protects against it, not a few Christian fundamentalists have concluded that Gardasil encourages casual sex and is thus eeeeeeeeevil. :roll:

Note that the article doesn't actually say what's so bad about Gardasil, it just notes that the protection given by the vaccine may not be permanent (as if that were a reason not to get vaccinated at all) and suggests that it's all some sort of conspiracy by Merck. (Just how that would affect the lab trials painfully closely scrutinized by the FDA and co. is, of course, not explained.)
So, why are we not eagerly vaccinating boys, boys say, as young as nine? Or 11? Or 13?
Lemme take a wild-ass guess here... maybe it's because, drum roll, boys don't have cervixes? :shock:
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 17 Sep 2007 11:47 pm

Full steam ahead, damn the torpedos etc, etc. Hopefully, 15 years down the road all women won't have one leg shorter than the other or worse like the Thalidomide babies of the 50's. This one I am aware of from a close range. I have a step sister who is a Thalidomide Baby, she has one fully developed arm a stub for the other and no legs at all. She's about 40 now with the mind of a 14 year old.

All I said was it wouldn't hurt to do a little more research would it. JP you have really, really, got to stop trying to read between the lines all the time. Start reading what is written. You don't seem to be able to see the forest for the trees. I didn't see anything in that article about "Christian fundamentalists" did you? Talk about going off half cocked! :roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Jeppo
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Jeppo » Tue, 18 Sep 2007 8:57 am

jpatokal wrote:
So, why are we not eagerly vaccinating boys, boys say, as young as nine? Or 11? Or 13?[/i]
Lemme take a wild-ass guess here... maybe it's because, drum roll, boys don't have cervixes? :shock:
HPV is highly present in boys and men.

In fact, this virus is associated with cancer of the penis and of the anus.
Maybe boys where you come from don't have penis or anus :shock: , but where I am they do :D

tranquillusion

Post by tranquillusion » Tue, 18 Sep 2007 9:16 pm

A friend of mine is a doctor with his own clinic. He did this for me 2 months ago. 3 shots for $500. Maybe the price has gone down since. If you'll PM me, i can give u his no. His clinic is 1 min away from the MRT.

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Wed, 19 Sep 2007 9:02 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:All I said was it wouldn't hurt to do a little more research would it. JP you have really, really, got to stop trying to read between the lines all the time. Start reading what is written. You don't seem to be able to see the forest for the trees. I didn't see anything in that article about "Christian fundamentalists" did you? Talk about going off half cocked! :roll:
Look, if she was arguing that "Gardasil encourages premarital sex and should thus be banned", everybody would dismiss her as a fruitcake and she probably wouldn't even get in the paper. But if she writes her letter in a style that just sows Fear, Doubt and Uncertainty, people listen and get nervous. Seriously, look at the letter line by line -- she doesn't actually have any negative facts abour Gardasil. Here's her "what's not to like" list, point by point:

* "Only 70% of HPV strains are covered by the vaccine." So what's better, 70% or 0%? Should you not get a Hepatitis A&B jab because it still leaves you vulnerable to C?
* "There is no evidence showing that the three innoculations required are long lasting." Neither is there any evidence that it isn't long lasting; to the contrary, trials to date have already proved the immunity lasts at least 4 years. When Hep vaccines first came out, they recommended booster shots every 5-10 years to be sure. Now they know that the immunity lasts a lifetime.
* "Pap tests have cut cervical cancer rates by 50% in the last 40 years." And needle exchange programs have cut the spread of Hep B. And the effect on the vaccine is...?
* "Why are we not eagerly vaccinating boys?" And this is an argument against vaccinating girls because...? But I'll answer anyway: the odds of a woman getting cervical cancer are one in 123. The odds of a guy getting penile cancer are 1:100000, and the odds of a man or woman who doesn't engage in anal sex getting anal cancer is 0.9:100000.

So does she have another agenda that she's pushing in the background? I don't know, but this smells fishy to me. You're welcome to disagree.

Remember that cervical cancer kills ~4000 women yearly, and all clinical trials to date show that the vaccine works. If you keep delaying and insisting on more and more proof that it's safe, those women will die, all in the name of "safety"!

And the thalidomide comparison is a bit of a red herring -- it came on the market before the FDA really started testing, and was in fact one of the main reasons drug testing is as strict as it is now. By the way, thalidomide is still used as a treatment for leprosy and some cancers, it's just not given to pregnant women anymore...
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague