Singapore Expats

A nice place without the sleaze

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
sapphire
Manager
Manager

Post by sapphire » Sat, 15 Sep 2007 4:48 pm

With a nick like cutiebutie and that avatar, I bet you get hit on a lot at least on this forum.
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Superglide » Sat, 15 Sep 2007 5:41 pm

I am not sure cutiebutie will use her nick and avatar, when going to a jazzpub?
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Sat, 15 Sep 2007 9:35 pm

sapphire wrote:With a nick like cutiebutie and that avatar, I bet you get hit on a lot
Oh now I know why I'm missing out... I don't wear spaghetti straps when I go out! Silly me. Come to think of it, the few times I was approached I was indeed wearing spaghetti straps. Time to upgrade the 'cutie' factor of my wardrobe. :wink:

guruvishwanath
Chatter
Chatter

Post by guruvishwanath » Sun, 16 Sep 2007 11:23 am

Sing-aa-pourr is a very cosmopolitan city. :-) Globalisation! Its awesome in some respects. ** If you truly wish to dampen your economic spirits and get a perspective from the "other side", read No Logo by Naomi Klein **

So I go to the wedding of my dear friends all the way to Canada. Where else could you find yourself going for a wedding of a canadian (of italian descent) to a nicaraguan where the best man was from puerto rico, guests from India, Singapore, NYC, Spain, Dominican Republic, the DJ from Paraguay who was spinning Bhangra music. :D And oh! being the only "Bollywood rep", I had to show the moves of Bollywood 101. The 70 year old Italian ladies and their old fogie hubiies were kicking up a ruckus on the dance floor. I tell ya! When I am 70, I only wish I would be half as energetic as them.

huggybear
Chatter
Chatter

Re: A nice place without the sleaze

Post by huggybear » Mon, 17 Sep 2007 9:38 am

cutiebutie wrote:I am finding it difficult to find nice places to go where guys don't always hit on me and think that cause I am there alone that I am free game.

I don't hav many old frens here because I grew up mostly overseas, but I don't mind being alone and listening to good music - I miss nice jazz bars, do we have anything like that here?
my type of comeback would be "i have herpes" and that would kill the "hitting on" pretty quickly.

there's a new bar i read about in some magazine called "the screening room" and they show movies while you can have a drink.

www.screeningroom.com.sg/

haven't been but looks nice.

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Post by cutiebutie » Mon, 17 Sep 2007 10:55 am

I see my avatar is causing some ruffles, or should I say straps.

I usually go out after work to unwind and still have my work clothes on, and I wear conservative clothing to work.

Herpes? No thank you, but maybe the Screening Room is worth a try.

I have no idea what guruvishvanath says in relation to this topic. :???:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 17 Sep 2007 11:21 am

cutiebutie wrote: I have no idea what guruvishvanath says in relation to this topic. :???:
It would appear he types his replies in Notepad or some such and then cuts & pastes as it would appear that his reply was possibly to some other thread. If he is using a multiple tabbed browser with different forums open this occasionally happens...... :oops!: :shit:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

guruvishwanath
Chatter
Chatter

Post by guruvishwanath » Mon, 17 Sep 2007 3:01 pm

Har-di-har, Mr. SMS..... :D

You are right about the multi-tabbed browser. :D

Screening Room, Pitch Black @ Haji Lane are very nice places to hang out and watch movies. Well, its not that simple. But its a new concept. While screening room has more mainstream movies, Pitch Black caters to more non mainstream like Anime or certain directors. I know they are now focusing on a very reputed Indian director (not bollywood) called Mani Ratnam.

Bottom line, both are great places to hang out and I would have to say you may actually not be bothered by anyone. :-| But who knows....

Derba

Post by Derba » Mon, 17 Sep 2007 4:41 pm

Besides the places that have been mentioned, there are two other good Jazz bars. The first one is called Jazz@South Bridge. It is on boat quay, and the band playing there is really good (I have been there only on week-ends). The other one is called Blu Jazz cafe, it is located close to Arab street. I really like the atmosphere of this bar and there is also a live band.
Usually people go there to enjoy the music and relax, so you will be less likely to be annoyed.
Btw, French are not pushy, you got the wrong impression :)
All the English mistakes in my posts have been made purposely.

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Post by cutiebutie » Mon, 17 Sep 2007 5:04 pm

Thank you for all the possibilities. I will try them when I am back and have the time.

French not being pushy? :lol: Well, they have more grace than the expats here, sorry if I offended anyone with that remark.

It amazes me the type of expat men here who think they are so wonderful but would never have the courage to do what they do here (of course this is a big generalisation). Oh, and I work in Bangkok too and it is even worse there.

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Mon, 17 Sep 2007 11:39 pm

cutiebutie wrote:It amazes me the type of expat men here who think they are so wonderful but would never have the courage to do what they do here (of course this is a big generalisation). Oh, and I work in Bangkok too and it is even worse there.
I think you're missing a word or two in there -- "...never have the courage to do at home what they do here", maybe? :?

All I can say is that Singapore is home :cool:
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

remersonh

I can't believe no one has said this yet!

Post by remersonh » Wed, 19 Sep 2007 8:41 am

Hey Cutiebutie and Wind in my Hair,

When you get together to compare 'assets', who is going to be the judge? I'll volunteer my services. (Yes, the irony in an anti-hitting-upon post was too delicious to resist!)

R

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Post by cutiebutie » Wed, 19 Sep 2007 9:50 am

jpatokal wrote:
cutiebutie wrote:It amazes me the type of expat men here who think they are so wonderful but would never have the courage to do what they do here (of course this is a big generalisation). Oh, and I work in Bangkok too and it is even worse there.
I think you're missing a word or two in there -- "...never have the courage to do at home what they do here", maybe? :?
I thought that was implied. :D

You are funny, r. Well, not really! :lol:

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Wed, 19 Sep 2007 10:13 am

Oh Remersonh, you are so sweet to volunteer. Unfortunately I think you will take too long to decide, since you will probably want to consider the 'matter' from many different angles.

Actually I vote the job goes to Sapphire. As you can see, with her it will be over in the wink of an eye.

ps: I wonder if this thread no longer qualifies for its title. :lol:

remersonh

Post by remersonh » Wed, 19 Sep 2007 3:17 pm

Well,
If you already have a judge in mind, then that's ok. But, I will be happy to send along my bootie judging CV so you can check my credentials. I'm very experienced.