Singapore Expats

How much for wireless internet set-up?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
anitrak

How much for wireless internet set-up?

Post by anitrak » Tue, 11 Sep 2007 8:06 pm

hi, maybe thinking of getting someone to set-up my office internet wireless (there are 5 of us). do anyone know how much singtel/pacific internet will charge? Sintel said they will do free for 3 user if i take up their broadband package... can anyone advice. thank you.

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Sat, 15 Sep 2007 8:23 am

it's really not that difficult to set up. I would recommend you do it yourself. That way you will have a basic understanding of your internet connection and wireless network and therefore you can control it more effectively.
With the amount of information on the net it should be easy. Your knowledge level will just determine how long it takes.

If you go for the Singnet option and baring in mind you want 5 users you should get the 5mb plan ( or higher) to ensure enough speed for all.

If you want any advice come back and let us know

Good luck
Last edited by bigfilsing on Sat, 15 Sep 2007 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Sat, 15 Sep 2007 2:06 pm

The 3 basic things you need are a modem, router/hub and a wireless access point.

Modem
to connect to your service provider / the internet
Router/HUb
so you can share the internet connection between the users ( and connect to each other if you want to share folders or a printer)
Wireless access point
so you can create a wireless network. ( it can be an open network that anybody can connect to but it's smarter to protect it with a WEP or WPA key , which means only people you give the key to can connect)

These can be individual/combined pieces of hardware or you could buy an all in one solution.
Options
1/ all in one solution
2/ modem and a router/ wireless combined
3/modem router combined and a wireless access point
4/ individual components ( modem + router/ hub + wireless access point)

I have used Netgear DG834PN ( all in one) for a long time and it works a treat.
It's a modem ( ADSL 2 connects to singtel) has a hardware firewall
It allows 4 hardwired connections ( hub/router function) and is a wireless access point.
Theres a couple of other good brands that do the same job but as i said i've had good results with the above and therefore can recommend this as a solution ( before everybody gets on my case about how their stuff is better)

I worte the above for a mate so have pasted it over for you.

Hope it helps

Good luck

anitrak

Post by anitrak » Mon, 17 Sep 2007 1:36 pm

hi thanks for the help. i'll try it out.

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Mon, 17 Sep 2007 3:17 pm

anitrak wrote:hi thanks for the help. i'll try it out.
Just let us know if you need any set up help but remember to quote which operating system you are using, which internet service provider you have chosen and which wireless and router you have bought.

Good luck

purplero

Post by purplero » Tue, 18 Sep 2007 9:50 pm

You can try calling 1800-Computer company. Their services are quite prompt.