Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
golliness

Post by golliness » Fri, 14 Sep 2007 4:45 pm

golliness wrote:hi everyone. i was wondering what would make anyone fail the medical checkup? by claiming that one has motion sickness? or that the spine is not straight? also, how long will it take for the hr personnel to call us if we were for the medical checkup today? thanks!
sorry and also! if the doctor in the first clinic deemed you unfit to even pass the full medical checkup (plus x-ray), will she still ask you to proceed to doing the x-ray or will she just not say anything and still refer you towards the doing the x-ray?

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 14 Sep 2007 4:55 pm

golliness wrote: sorry and also! if the doctor in the first clinic deemed you unfit to even pass the full medical checkup (plus x-ray), will she still ask you to proceed to doing the x-ray
No, once you are deemed unfit there wouldn't be any point; this has been asked before when one girl was unfortunate to fail for hearing problems and she had four attempts at everything else.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 14 Sep 2007 4:59 pm

golliness wrote:hi everyone. i was wondering what would make anyone fail the medical checkup?
In short: Anything that will restrict of prevent you from performing your duties or endangering yours and the lives of others.
by claiming that one has motion sickness?
Should this actually be a problem it is something you should have thought about before you even applied. :roll:
or that the spine is not straight?
They will be able to see that for themselves. :o

CelT
Chatter
Chatter

Post by CelT » Fri, 14 Sep 2007 4:59 pm

Hi girls, who went for the checkup recently,

May i ask what are involved in the checkup?
What do they check?

:D
.CEL.

golliness

Post by golliness » Fri, 14 Sep 2007 5:16 pm

Plavt wrote:
golliness wrote: sorry and also! if the doctor in the first clinic deemed you unfit to even pass the full medical checkup (plus x-ray), will she still ask you to proceed to doing the x-ray
No, once you are deemed unfit there wouldn't be any point; this has been asked before when one girl was unfortunate to fail for hearing problems and she had four attempts at everything else.
thanks for this!

wawaa
Regular
Regular

Post by wawaa » Sat, 15 Sep 2007 1:34 pm

Hey dilemma gal..

a pc of advise..pls write down all the dates u haf applied for n Im tellin u frm my own exp coz I tried more than 8 times for the past 2 yrs to get into SQ. I cant even remember the no.of times or even the exact dates i went for the intv..so usually I just estimate. Why u shld do this is becoz..they will see ur dying determination n frm wat I observe u can pass ur round 1 more easily.

I knoe wat u meant wen during the 1-1 they ask u why do u tink u flunk the previous times n at which round rite? I got tat question posed to me b4 so basically I told them the truth n tat is I really don't know coz wen I tried to ask the beautician (always get kicked off at skin check), she never want to reveal my flaws. So its diff to knoe rite? But u got to promise them tat u try ur very best to be better. BUt roughly I do knoe wats my flaw la..I don haf a good skin..so frm many failed attempts I went to see skin doc to get it cleared. And lucky enuff, wit all hardwork n determination..I got in.

I'm in training now for the past 1.5mths n I met so many trainers who teaches my batch/class. Thus I usually ask them since some of them do the recruitment selection on wat they r lookin for..as well as I did ask the beautician on y Im always got kicked out at kebaya...etc Most of them said, during round 1 its first impression. Your body posture, ur tone or voice shld sound lively n enthusiastic, eye-contact n most imptly SMILE!
If u tink u worry abt the content of ur introdution, just use simple english, dont need to brag too much coz wen u speak do not haf slang or slurs. Be HUMBLE n be urself coz they can tell wat kinda person u r. As u moved on to kebaya...I asked the beautician who u gals always see doin the skin check. Frm wat she told me, u do not need to haf a perfect n flawless skin coz I do not haf..i am so sure on tat. As long as u knoe how to cover ur flaws even if u haf pimples popping out, eye-bags, warts (oil-seeds) below ur eyes..u sure pass thru n for walkin in ur kebaya..walk gracefully wit gd body posture.Do not spread ur legs to wide wen u walk, n do not CATWALK.

To move on to every each round, be consistent n always smile. The key to everything is SMILE n SMILE n HUMBLE. Answer every questions they posed confidently, do ur homework on those standard intv questions. N never ever talk negatively abt SIA like the bad things u heard frm SIA such as zappin.. U will do alright if u heed my advise. But at the end of the day is pure determination..see how long u can take the wait. Trust me..those who r very determined, once u get in u wont take things for granted coz u really want this as life during the training n esp flying is sumetin 'unglamorous' n all abt eating humble pie, patience n tolerance. Coz they r ppl who quit halfway as they cannot stand the culture in it. Tats y I always empahsized be humble.

I hope i've explain n cld help some of u out there who has got the burning aspiration to be a spore girl. All the BEST!

JadeiteJade
Chatter
Chatter

Post by JadeiteJade » Sat, 15 Sep 2007 8:48 pm

jeanette_tohjh wrote:
JadeiteJade wrote:ive recieved the call...will be starting training next week! 21/09 = )
anyone else? :)
Hey JadeiteJade! CONGRATS!!!
Do u remember me? we knew each other from one of the walk-in interview... i was from the same school and same course as u! ur junior!

so envy lor... u finally got in!!!! how nice... haiz...
i am currently taking some medication and treatment for my complexion... once my complexion has cleared up! i will try for SIA again!
and hopefully i can be ur junior again!

Good luck to u JadeiteJade... all the best to u...
hey hey..of coz i remember you... = )
thanks thanks...do try again....and all the best to you too! = )
you will certainly be my junior the next time!hehehe

JadeiteJade
Chatter
Chatter

Post by JadeiteJade » Sat, 15 Sep 2007 8:57 pm

VeniE wrote:hey dilemma gal...

i understand that you tried 7 times before getting in right.

wanna ask you whether you declare on the application form all the 7 dates that you tried?

coz i dun know whether should i or shouldn't i.

one of my friends told me not to declare all dates, maybe one or two dates, as it will reduce your chance.

and another friend told me to declare all of it as it will saw them your determination.

what do you think? or any one who has tried more than 3/4 times has any opinion?

keke... i tried 7 times for SQ liao.. been actively going for all the openings ever since this year..

and i manage to go to 3rd round for the aug walk-ins but i got stuck at the qns: why were you not selected at your previous attempts? coz i declare all dates, dun wanna lie to them. but i din really know how to ans to him so i got boot out there...
hihi..i tried 5 times as well..1st time was in 2004 and 4 times this yr...i guess its good to declare all the dates coz one of the question that I got for my management is..what makes me want to become an air stewardess so much? (so much so that I applied so many times..)

i guess the ans to your question..you can juz tell them honestly...if you dont know why you failed..juz say you dont know..but you always go back and analyse to see how you can perform better the next time...there is really no right n wrong ans...anyway..this is juz my opinion..hope it helps! = )

golliness

Post by golliness » Sun, 16 Sep 2007 4:15 pm

Plavt wrote:
hi plavt, may i know which thread does this belong to? i've tried to search for it but to no avail...

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sun, 16 Sep 2007 4:59 pm

golliness wrote:
Plavt wrote:
hi plavt, may i know which thread does this belong to? i've tried to search for it but to no avail...
Sorry but I won't be able to either, this thread is far to long and some of what I was told may or may not have been only in a PM (hard to remember now). Look at things logically though; if you fail any part of a medical there is no point going to the next stage that would cost time and money for no useful purpose.

RexEupho

color deficiency

Post by RexEupho » Sun, 16 Sep 2007 6:04 pm

hey guys!
Just a question. Does colour deficiency(aka partial colour blindness) affect my chances of being a cabin crew? Do they take in peopel who have colour deficiency? Do they test for colour deficiency during the medical checkup?

Thanks!

rev12000
Chatter
Chatter

Re: color deficiency

Post by rev12000 » Sun, 16 Sep 2007 6:07 pm

RexEupho wrote:Do they test for colour deficiency during the medical checkup?
Yes, they do. I had one or two pages wrong, but it didn't affect my medical report. [-o< Just my 2 cents worth of thoughts.
Do NoT TaKe LaZY PeoPLe aS aPaTHeTiC PeoPLe, aS aPaTHeTiC PeoPLe Do NoT CaRe aBouT aNYTHiNG. LaZY PeoPLe CaRe, JuST THaT THeY Do NoT Do aNYTHiNG aBouT iT.

blancD
Chatter
Chatter

Re: color deficiency

Post by blancD » Sun, 16 Sep 2007 6:14 pm

RexEupho wrote:hey guys!
Just a question. Does colour deficiency(aka partial colour blindness) affect my chances of being a cabin crew? Do they take in peopel who have colour deficiency? Do they test for colour deficiency during the medical checkup?

Thanks!

yes it does affect your chances.
"City of Ang3Ls"

RexEupho

Post by RexEupho » Sun, 16 Sep 2007 8:54 pm

Oh dear.... Coz i have red-green deficiency.. But i still manage to graduate from a design sch and now an art teacher.. so i wont say it affects me a lot.. u guys still tink i got a chance??

rev12000
Chatter
Chatter

Post by rev12000 » Sun, 16 Sep 2007 9:14 pm

RexEupho wrote:Oh dear.... Coz i have red-green deficiency..
I would say go for it! It's from the doctor's report that you would know if your condition is crucial or not. CHEERS!
Do NoT TaKe LaZY PeoPLe aS aPaTHeTiC PeoPLe, aS aPaTHeTiC PeoPLe Do NoT CaRe aBouT aNYTHiNG. LaZY PeoPLe CaRe, JuST THaT THeY Do NoT Do aNYTHiNG aBouT iT.