Singapore Expats

Sim Lim Square - First floor Camera shop - Bad experience

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
coldrad

Post by coldrad » Wed, 12 Sep 2007 11:22 am

Hi All,

Below is a written complaint to CASE & STB with regards to an experience I had at a 1st floor camera shop, Sim Lim Square. Please let me know if there are any othere channels I could follow to report this event:

"To Whom it may concern,
My fiancée and I visited Sim Lim Square on Saturday the 8th of September 2007 at approximately 6:30pm. It was my intention to possibility purchase a tube adapter and filter for our camera. After speaking with some of the sales persons at various outlets on the 1st floor, I came to the conclusion that I wished to get a Raynox adapter, as it includes a lens cap and a Hoya CPL polarising filter - but they did not stock that product. As we walked by outlet #01-XXX (XXXXX) the sales person (name unknown) was standing at the entrance to the outlet, and asked if I was looking for something in particular. I explained to him that I was looking for the above mentioned products, to which he stated that he stocked those specific products. We were alone with the one salesperson in the store.

It came to light after a few minutes that the store did not stock Raynox products, and he was pitching another generic product to be purchased. After several minutes of discussion and negotiation, we came an agreement that I would purchase the generic adapter tube ( i.e. non-Raynox), UV filter and Hoya CPL polarising filter, for a total of SGD94.00 by credit card. When it got to the stage that he requested by credit card for payment, I found that the filter he then provided me with was not a Hoya as agreed, but a different make and model. I then contended this sudden change, and stated that I wish to have the Hoya product as agreed. The salesperson then left he shop and went to a unknown location, and came back with the Hoya product (bear in mind that there were many of this specific product of the shelf behind him, so the rationale for leaving to store is unknown). The sales person then stated that the Hoya product will be a higher price, due to tax. He stated that the total cost was now SGD100.58. At this point I stated that I want what was originally agreed upon (i.e.. Generic adapter, UV filter & Hoya CPL polarizing filter at SGD94.00), my finance then added that we are not interested in the SGD100.58 as we had received cheaper verbal quotations elsewhere.

The salesperson then started to verbally harass my fiancée in a loud voice, to which she stated "Do not shout at me!" and I reinforced her comment by stating "Do not raise your voice at her!". Then in in a very loud voice he said "What is your problem.. Why do you not want to pay taxes?, Why do you come all the way from South Africa to get worried about a few extra dollars!". I then replied that "We are residents of Singapore, not tourists", to which he stated "Then you do not want to pay your own taxes! I should report you to the police!", I then followed on to say "I do pay my taxes, and I am only liable for this tax IF I bought your product, which I will not, as you have broken our original agreement". Suddenly the salesperson banged loudly on the glass counter top, shouting "Get lost lah!, Get lost lah!", then ran quickly to our side of the store counter and in a demeaning and aggressive manner… my fiancée and I then backed out of the store, and he continued to shout loudly while running out of his store following us into the crowd "Get lost lah !, Get lost lah!". I shouted "This is completely unacceptable!, I will report this!", to which he responded "I will report you to the police, because your are a resident in Singapore and you refuse to pay taxes!" then he followed up by shouting "I should slap you!!", and it was apparent that he was he had lost his temper and may actually attempt to do physical harm to us. There was then further shouting, which I cannot recall the details, whilst my fiancée and I were walking quickly away from the vicinity of the store, and out of the exit of Sim Lim Square. Whilst walking out, we could hear the laughing and joking of various other store owners.

The above is a clear case of harassment and public embarrassment, and is completely unacceptable. I kindly request that this matter is dealt with, and that I am kept up-to-date with the progress.

Your sincerely"
Last edited by coldrad on Wed, 12 Sep 2007 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Superglide » Wed, 12 Sep 2007 11:59 am

Sounds familiar...

So did you lodge a report at the police? He clearly harassed and physically threatened you.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Wed, 12 Sep 2007 3:55 pm

Yikes. Now I remember why I never go to Sim Lim and would never recommend it to anyone. Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

jpatokal

Re: Sim Lim Square - First floor Camera shop - Bad experienc

Post by jpatokal » Wed, 12 Sep 2007 10:31 pm

coldrad wrote:Sim Lim Square - First floor Camera shop - Bad experience
Yeah, that's a pretty good definition of the first floor of Sim Lim. Sorry to hear the story, but you were luckier than most as you didn't actually lose any money or get ripped off. You could try to raise a case with the police, but as they didn't actually hit you I doubt much will happen.

For camera gear, forget Sim Lim, just go to Peninsula Plaza (eg. Cathay Photo).
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

rhino
Regular
Regular

Post by rhino » Wed, 12 Sep 2007 11:26 pm

Not withstanding the poor (and dubious) behaviour of the shop assistant, is it pure coincidence that $94.00 + 7% GST = $100.58?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 13 Sep 2007 12:48 am

There is two possibilities. One is that it was a none GST registered business. Lots of them. Two, because the salesjerk had to go somewhere else to fetch the goods, He may have had to go to a GST registered shop to get them hence he had to recoup his GST spent.

Two, maybe he planned to do a "cash sale" on a shoddy invoice but when he had to get the goods from another dealer and had to pay GST he then had to pass on the expense.

Still not a way to conduct business however. There is no excuse.....sure there is, it's Sim Lim..... :roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

saint73
Chatter
Chatter

Post by saint73 » Thu, 13 Sep 2007 1:10 am

Hi All,

Below is a written complaint to CASE & STB with regards to an experience I had at a 1st floor camera shop, Sim Lim Square. Please let me know if there are any othere channels I could follow to report this event:

"To Whom it may concern,
My fiancée and I visited Sim Lim Square on Saturday the 8th of September 2007 at approximately 6:30pm. It was my intention to possibility purchase a tube adapter and filter for our camera. After speaking with some of the sales persons at various outlets on the 1st floor, I came to the conclusion that I wished to get a Raynox adapter, as it includes a lens cap and a Hoya CPL polarising filter - but they did not stock that product. As we walked by outlet #01-XXX (XXXXX) the sales person (name unknown) was standing at the entrance to the outlet, and asked if I was looking for something in particular. I explained to him that I was looking for the above mentioned products, to which he stated that he stocked those specific products. We were alone with the one salesperson in the store.

It came to light after a few minutes that the store did not stock Raynox products, and he was pitching another generic product to be purchased. After several minutes of discussion and negotiation, we came an agreement that I would purchase the generic adapter tube ( i.e. non-Raynox), UV filter and Hoya CPL polarising filter, for a total of SGD94.00 by credit card. When it got to the stage that he requested by credit card for payment, I found that the filter he then provided me with was not a Hoya as agreed, but a different make and model. I then contended this sudden change, and stated that I wish to have the Hoya product as agreed. The salesperson then left he shop and went to a unknown location, and came back with the Hoya product (bear in mind that there were many of this specific product of the shelf behind him, so the rationale for leaving to store is unknown). The sales person then stated that the Hoya product will be a higher price, due to tax. He stated that the total cost was now SGD100.58. At this point I stated that I want what was originally agreed upon (i.e.. Generic adapter, UV filter & Hoya CPL polarizing filter at SGD94.00), my finance then added that we are not interested in the SGD100.58 as we had received cheaper verbal quotations elsewhere.

The salesperson then started to verbally harass my fiancée in a loud voice, to which she stated "Do not shout at me!" and I reinforced her comment by stating "Do not raise your voice at her!". Then in in a very loud voice he said "What is your problem.. Why do you not want to pay taxes?, Why do you come all the way from South Africa to get worried about a few extra dollars!". I then replied that "We are residents of Singapore, not tourists", to which he stated "Then you do not want to pay your own taxes! I should report you to the police!", I then followed on to say "I do pay my taxes, and I am only liable for this tax IF I bought your product, which I will not, as you have broken our original agreement". Suddenly the salesperson banged loudly on the glass counter top, shouting "Get lost lah!, Get lost lah!", then ran quickly to our side of the store counter and in a demeaning and aggressive manner… my fiancée and I then backed out of the store, and he continued to shout loudly while running out of his store following us into the crowd "Get lost lah !, Get lost lah!". I shouted "This is completely unacceptable!, I will report this!", to which he responded "I will report you to the police, because your are a resident in Singapore and you refuse to pay taxes!" then he followed up by shouting "I should slap you!!", and it was apparent that he was he had lost his temper and may actually attempt to do physical harm to us. There was then further shouting, which I cannot recall the details, whilst my fiancée and I were walking quickly away from the vicinity of the store, and out of the exit of Sim Lim Square. Whilst walking out, we could hear the laughing and joking of various other store owners.

The above is a clear case of harassment and public embarrassment, and is completely unacceptable. I kindly request that this matter is dealt with, and that I am kept up-to-date with the progress.

Your sincerely"
:roll: This is true got such sales person in sim lim sq...?You can report to CASE for this issue....

Not all shop in sim lim sq are behave like this...we cannot condemn all the shop.... :D In the world they are gd or bad pple... :mrgreen:

saint73
Chatter
Chatter

Post by saint73 » Thu, 13 Sep 2007 1:38 am

saint73 wrote:

Hi All,

"To Whom it may concern,

Your sincerely"
:roll: This is true got such sales person in sim lim sq...?You can report to CASE for this issue....

Not all shop in sim lim sq are behave like this...we cannot condemn all the shop.... :D In the world they are gd or bad pple... :mrgreen:

:cry: Juz 2 week ago when I am travel to north area, when I heard someone shouted at me, I am wonder who is that person.

The person mentioned to me that I am his campmate during the BMT training.I am totally can't recognise the person and the look is totally different.

He tell me that he need some money bcos his mother juz pass away today, he need this to pay the monk for praying for her mother funeral.
His friend also thanks me for help bcos his God mother also...

I am hesitate for a while and he can tell my buddy thngs during BMT training....that why I did not suspect him...Later he said he will pay me back when he get his pay in few days time...

He even give me the contact number and ask me my bank account to transfer the money to me...

I am suspect the act when first time we meet...but due to her mother i pity him....after 1st week gone i try to call him his contact number and found out the number is false....

When we do help people but we get cheated.in the end...... :x :x I am wonder whether want to make police report or not????? :evil:

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Thu, 13 Sep 2007 2:15 am

saint73 wrote: :cry: Juz 2 week ago when I am travel to north area, when I heard someone shouted at me, I am wonder who is that person.

The person mentioned to me that I am his campmate during the BMT training.I am totally can't recognise the person and the look is totally different.

He tell me that he need some money bcos his mother juz pass away today, he need this to pay the monk for praying for her mother funeral.
His friend also thanks me for help bcos his God mother also...

I am hesitate for a while and he can tell my buddy thngs during BMT training....that why I did not suspect him...Later he said he will pay me back when he get his pay in few days time...

He even give me the contact number and ask me my bank account to transfer the money to me...

I am suspect the act when first time we meet...but due to her mother i pity him....after 1st week gone i try to call him his contact number and found out the number is false....

When we do help people but we get cheated.in the end...... :x :x I am wonder whether want to make police report or not????? :evil:
What has this got to do with Sim Lim Square? :shock: :shock:

oriens

Post by oriens » Fri, 14 Sep 2007 5:00 pm

I had a similar experience in Sim Lim, the same floor. I was with my brother (on holiday here) and looking for a camera. For the same camera we got either very low prices or very high, the difference being 1000 SGD not just few bucks. We were on our way out of a shop that was asking for a ridiculous high price and the seller started telling us to 'f... off' and that we were cheap etc etc. A guy from another shop tried to sell us the display camera and when we backed off and were about to leave the shop he yelled that we were here to sell drugs! In the end, we bought the camera from Cathay Photo with no hassle and got freebies that Sim Lim shops were not even offering. I spent 3 years in Hong Kong and bought many electronics there but I was never insulted or verbally aggressed in such way. Next time I'll buy a camera I won't bother with Sim Lim but go straight to Cathay.

coldrad

Post by coldrad » Mon, 17 Sep 2007 5:36 pm

Here is a status update.

CASE: They state that they cannot assist me, as they only deal with cases when money is involved, and people have been cheated.

STB: They state that I cannot lay an official complaint, because I am not a tourist. However they said that I could e-mail them the complaint to [email protected] to give "feedback" to the STB, I have not had any further response from them.

So pretty much a dead end - it seems that there is not an organization to deal with these types of issues - which explains why so many people are having the same issues at SLS time and time again.

markhed
Regular
Regular

Post by markhed » Fri, 21 Sep 2007 10:01 am

I can tell you this would be dealt with very differently in a lot of other countries and it wouldnt involve the State or the Police!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 21 Sep 2007 12:26 pm

markhed,

Yeah your right. However you must remember that this is a Nanny state where the people have been so cowed by the government that now they are afraid of doing anything by themselves. Instead they whine to the gov't to always do something because that is all they know today.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Superglide » Fri, 21 Sep 2007 12:42 pm

markhed wrote:I can tell you this would be dealt with very differently in a lot of other countries and it wouldnt involve the State or the Police!
Exactly...

Would be no issue at all in the country where I come from.

But hey, if the guy at Sim Lim physically threatens me, it is self defense in reply.
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Fri, 21 Sep 2007 1:28 pm

Superglide wrote:
markhed wrote:I can tell you this would be dealt with very differently in a lot of other countries and it wouldnt involve the State or the Police!
Exactly...

Would be no issue at all in the country where I come from.

But hey, if the guy at Sim Lim physically threatens me, it is self defense in reply.
Exactly, draw him out into a place where there are plenty of witnesses. Look threatend !!! Hold you girlfreind or similar. for effect. then side of hand to adams apple !!! Shuts him up and gets his attention. ( not hard enough to knock him over just hard enough to invoke shock)
Easy.! Make a lot of noise later so his mates wont surround you. ( mostly they won;t anyway once you;ve stunned the little bleeder..they're too scared.

Other approach! Knock him clean out of his flip flops and out cold. Then immediatly turn around and ask "anybody" else ?? It's a bit hollywood dramatic and you look a right berk if you miss. But executed well it's a sure fire solution to any mouthy little prick who's trying to screw you.
( do make sure he doesn't wreck anything on the way down as you'll get done for willfull damage) But the punch can be self defense!

The main problem here is the Nanny state. They know they can ( usually) get away with this kind of behaviour and the law will protect them. The Police have the observation and insight of a pack of monkeys and will usually side with them. The offenders know this and thats why they are so bullish in their aggresive behaviour.