Singapore Expats

Learn Mandarin

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
pklala

Learn Mandarin

Post by pklala » Fri, 24 Aug 2007 2:19 pm

I am not a native Chinese speaker but would like to lean basic Mandarin through some classes. Tried searching on google but it did not give me a lot of options (New Concept mandarin only). I would like to take some group lessons and not one on one due to the costs involved. Can anyone suggest some good institutes teaching Chinese in Singapore?

Thanks in advance

luxiana
Regular
Regular

Post by luxiana » Sun, 26 Aug 2007 2:42 pm

if you are serious about learning chinese you can check with the Chinese Chamber of Commerce (on alexandra road if i remember well) when their next session starts :)

+++
my website: free online game

rhino
Regular
Regular

Post by rhino » Sun, 26 Aug 2007 3:30 pm

I did a semester at NUS extension (intermediate level). Their classes are fairly intensive (2.5 hrs per class twice per week) - class runs for about 20 weeks and costs about S$1,300 - not the cheapest option, but the class I was in (which was like level 6 or 7) had about 7 or 8 students who had been there from the very first level class (though I think this was more about the quality of their teacher than the institution). They're at Park Mall on Penang Rd.

DimWit Kid
Chatter
Chatter

Post by DimWit Kid » Tue, 04 Sep 2007 1:09 am

Singapore Chinese Chamber of commerce is on Victoria Rd.. That one is quite good and cheaper option to NUS Extension.

luxiana
Regular
Regular

Post by luxiana » Wed, 05 Sep 2007 7:00 am

wow, i remember it was a bit steep for the Chinese chamber though...
I think that companies are paying for their staff to learn chinese there.

if I remember well, the good thing with the Chinese Chamber is that if you take the exam with them it is recognized as a degree.
my website: free online game

sourisso
Regular
Regular

Post by sourisso » Fri, 07 Sep 2007 3:42 pm

i guess that to apply for course at Chinese Chamber(..) you need to be resident already.. i mean, they wont deliver a student pass for you if you join the course i guess ?

trinity511

Post by trinity511 » Tue, 11 Sep 2007 11:20 am

Heres two cents worth Peoples Association have Mandarin classes at various locations around Singapore