Singapore Expats

GYM!

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
CooperS

GYM!

Post by CooperS » Fri, 07 Sep 2007 3:54 pm

Hey guys - I’m looking for a good gym with modem equipment. Looking for somewhere not too cramped, contains a mixture of machines, cables and free weights. I need somewhere that opens early and doesn’t close early evening.
I’m COMPLETELY new to SIN (in fact I’m not even there yet - still in UK) however i thought i’d try to do as much electronic recon as possible. Obviously i’m still going to visit whatever you guys recommend and make my own choice however you know what it’s like; i’m at my gym 2-4 times a week and i'm so used to the layout. I don’t mind change and i don’t mind paying a bit more for a better work out environment! Pool would be nice however it seems that most condos have pools and other amenities (gyms too i know)

Appreciate anything written back!
Regards
Anwar

Gypsy Queen
Regular
Regular

Post by Gypsy Queen » Fri, 07 Sep 2007 7:05 pm

Hi there try fitness first.. they have several gyms around the city, excellent equipment etc and at a good price in comparison to uk standards check them out online and you can get more of an idea. My friends and I go there and have been very happy with gym facilities, george street and a couple of others have pools, highly recommend them!

Artemis

Post by Artemis » Fri, 07 Sep 2007 7:56 pm

I totally agree. I am with Fitness first and its pretty good. Good luck with your move here. Where in the UK are you from?

CooperS

Post by CooperS » Fri, 07 Sep 2007 10:33 pm

London - Chiswick! How about you guys?

Also - thanks for the tips - appreciate it heaps.
Last edited by CooperS on Sat, 08 Sep 2007 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

KarlRaven

Post by KarlRaven » Sat, 08 Sep 2007 12:15 am

Hi Guys,

Was thinking of checking out the various gyms this weekend. How is Cali Fitness and True Fitness compared to Fitness first?

Are most of these gyms only around the city area? Anything in East Coast?

Will probably go fact finding on the various locations and prices and decide to join one of them by next month.

Hopefully i get stay commited in going for gym. :P

Cheers,
Karl
Last edited by KarlRaven on Sat, 08 Sep 2007 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Sat, 08 Sep 2007 1:53 pm

KarlRaven wrote:Was thinking of checking out the various gyms this weekend. How is Cali Fitness and True Fitness compared to Fitness first?
Cali is cheaper but not as swanky (no pools or other frills). True is mostly known for yoga classes but they seem to be expanding into gyms as well. The third big player is Planet Fitness.

And yes, most gyms are in the city center, and opening hours are usually pretty good (6 AM to midnight is standard). If you want gyms in the 'burbs and don't care about amenities, public ClubFITT gyms get the job done at an unbeatable price ($2.50 per walk-in entry, less if you sign up).

Do a search for other threads though: gyms in Sing are notoriously slimy for pricing and do hard selling of personal training etc after they sign you up.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

seasider
Chatter
Chatter

Post by seasider » Sat, 08 Sep 2007 2:29 pm

If you'd like a gym with a pool you should check out the hotels - some take on members.

I go to Amrita at Raffles The Plaza, as I like the gym, spa and pools, and it's a good location for me. I also didn't want a huge gym and certainly didn't like the hard sell of Fitness First. I know friends go to others, e.g., Orchard Hotel, but I don't know what they're like.

Karl - I think there's a Planet Fitness at Parkway Parade.

edit: Anwar, if you don't need fancy facilities or personal trainers, why not wait and see where you end up living and what your condo gym is like.

CooperS

Post by CooperS » Sat, 08 Sep 2007 3:19 pm

Thanks Seasider - sounds sensible!

Anwar

KarlRaven

Post by KarlRaven » Sun, 09 Sep 2007 5:31 pm

seasider wrote: Karl - I think there's a Planet Fitness at Parkway Parade.
Thanks seasider. Wasn't aware of Planet Fitness.

Here is an update of my survey of just 2 centers:

Fitness First : 12th month package:
joining + admin fee : $118
Monthly fee (passport): $133 (passport means you can go to any branch)
Trainer (if required) : $66-$99 per session depending on # of sessions

It has 8 branches around city center some with swimming pool.

http://www.fitnessfirst.com

Planet Fitness

Joining + admin fee waived if you take 6 months or 12 months contract
Monthly fee: $128 (allows you to go to any branch)
Trainer (if required) : $80-$85 per session depending on # of sessions

It has 6 branches, none with swimming pool.

http://www.planetfitness.com.sg

Note:
Add 7% GST for all the rates above.
Prices shown as as of September 2007.
Salespersons gives the standard speech that these "special fees" are for this month only, so can't guarantee for next month. Anyhow, doubt the fees will jump that drastically.

I work and stay in East Coast area, hence Planet Fitness is the best for me for now as its quite near from my place. I doubt I'd have time to go after work to any gym in city center. But would probably go to the city gyms on weekends.

seasider
Chatter
Chatter

Post by seasider » Sun, 09 Sep 2007 5:42 pm

Tell them to stick their "admin" fees where the sun don't shine! Everything is negotiable and IMO they get enough money from the fees.

Yes, they always try the "last week/month of offer" trick too.

Planet Fitness has a pool (or maybe an agreement to use a pool?) at Suntec, although it's not located where the gym is.

Those PT fees seem steep. I buy packages of 15 and get mine for under S$50 an hour.

I was looking around earlier this year before deciding to rejoin my gym. Was interested in True Yoga (as jpatokal says, they're diversifying) but have heard so many horror stories about aggressive sales and apathetic aftersales, that I decided not to risk it.

Artemis

Post by Artemis » Sun, 09 Sep 2007 10:33 pm

chiswick!! What a coincidence. I was just there last month for about 3 weeks. Which part? I will be relocating there next year.

Fitness frist is has been great for me. And I do agree with seasider the Admin fee is negotiable.

old_gold

Post by old_gold » Thu, 13 Sep 2007 3:33 pm

actually you can also try the ssc gyms.

wide range of equipment and the membership fees are not that expensive. =)

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Thu, 13 Sep 2007 9:34 pm

KarlRaven wrote:[
joining + admin fee : $118
Monthly fee (passport): $133 (passport means you can go to any branch)

Joining + admin fee waived if you take 6 months or 12 months contract
Monthly fee: $128 (allows you to go to any branch)
These prices are silly: I'm paying around $40/mo at Cali all in (taxes, fees, bla bla). They'll always try to sell you the most expensive package that lets you use all gyms, overseas branches and whatnot, but just get the basic one and ask for extra months, which they hand out like candy. (I paid for 12 and got 30.)
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague