Singapore Expats

Stockmarket jitters

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
jpatokal

Stockmarket jitters

Post by jpatokal » Tue, 21 Aug 2007 7:43 pm

Stockmarkets haven't been doing too well lately:

http://quote.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=%5ESTI&t=3m

The US dollar has been plummeting and my much-beleaguered punt on the yen, long in the red, was actually briefly in the black again last Friday before bad old Bernanke spoiled the fun.

So is this a bump in the road or the end of the party? Discuss :cool:
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Tue, 21 Aug 2007 10:23 pm

Something told me to get out of the market in June, which I did, so I watched all the turmoil from the sidelines with great relief. The big question now is: hold on to cash, get back into stocks, or wait for property to dip. Decisions, decisions...

Economic fundamentals seem strong so I think it's a bump in the road though the swings are just crazy so either you go in and hold long term and don't look at the fluctuations or you watch it like a hawk because anything can happen anytime. I don't think it's an option to take a position and check it daily anymore.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Wed, 22 Aug 2007 9:09 am

This is without a doubt a very good time, to look for bargains, or average down!
Remember your field of play, and don't panick. You only lose if you panick and sell!

The markets have been up and down since, the establishment was introduced, and it will eventually go up again.

My point is, it all depends on your nerves and your investment plans, are they long or short term! I've personally not planned selling until 2008 or even 2009 after taking a gamble.

The way I see it, is the banks and financial institutions are playing two sides of the fence, one side loans money, and the other side short the market hedge funds. The speculation in high risk markets do crash, the subprime is a little shaken up because of the greed of banks, who are gambling with investors money and calling in the debts!

The people to get hurt here are of course the private investors, that panick and cut their loses. Banks on the other hand, will just pass the loss on, to customers!
The speculators hedge funds are just cutting their losses, and causing a downward surge, because they have deadlines to meet, don't you think! Shorting the market on the way down is all part of the game.

Stay put and weather the storm, is my advice, my spare cash will be averaging down and accumilating new companies!

Knowingly, that the downward surge may not be over just yet, doesn't really bother me, even though every point downwards could be a grand!

My instinct tells me, that the domino effect is nothing new, it happens time and time again, and I've just weathered the storm 3 times in 7 years, to reinvest in companies, that i couldn't afford at there peak, because of the high risk of a fall.... Kind of global market observation and past performance, with an eye on interest rates, property prices, production out put and employment data, to get a feel of what's happening.

Be aware that media panick sells papers, don't listen to them! Do a self risk assessment, and ask yourself if you are cool?

huggybear
Chatter
Chatter

Post by huggybear » Fri, 24 Aug 2007 10:00 am

there is some truth to KSL.
but the market's going lower. one more purge.

economic fundamentals for the most part are lagging indicators. If the US sneezes the world catches a cold.
Japan will go back into recession, and China equities lop off 80% a la NASDAQ in 2001.

and everyone will forget and everyone will go back into the markets.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Wed, 19 Sep 2007 7:43 am

Northern Rock looks very appealing, with the FED cutting rates, it will soften the landing, people are starting to buy in again, but take care.

They have known about this drop for a long while I believe, when I looked at the historic graph, I could see the drop appearing back in 06, enough to make me question, what was happening! This has got to be a safe bet at 3 and 4 pound, becuase the punter is going to pay for the losses! Demand for mortagages, will continue, with tighter controls and steady growth will come back I guess. Otherwise the western world would fall into high risk, if this baby is not supported! Don't worry the Bank of England is a business too, it will not be supporting it free of charge, joe bloggs will pay. :o No!

Good long term investment in my opinion. I doubt the vultures will touch this one, even though they would have a field day, they would be cutting their own throats! :)

When your up there in the ranks, you play the game, don't rock the boat, or your out of the play area! Mmmm this all rings a bell! Marconi crashed from 12 billion £ and where butchered, I was a piece of meat my 5000 shares ended up to 1! and twenty odd warrants, and the CEO had a bonus of 2 million.... that's what vultures can do, when they are let loose. Banks will be Banks :)

I take my hat off to Greenspan, that guy can read horoscopes! He's got to be Americas hero in this century.

huggybear
Chatter
Chatter

Post by huggybear » Wed, 19 Sep 2007 10:17 am

KSL
everyone takes care of their interests and don't care to help anyone really. banks will take care of their interests and you will take care of yours. only problem is that banks have a lot more money then you and a lot more political clout. (Companies will only act in chartiable situations because it helps their public image and thus helps to support their stock price. otherwise they would just happily go back to dumping toxic chemicals in your drinking water or painting your children's toys with lead paint.)

I doubt Merv the Swerve blinked when you called him to have him bail you out of your $hit marconi position... but when northern rock calls from a highly supportive north UK of the labor party .... well then gordon brown makes a couple phone calls and forces merve the swerve to do something.

greenspan looks like a buffoon now. only reason we're at this credit mess is because he cut rates to 1% in 2001.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Wed, 19 Sep 2007 11:00 am

huggybear wrote: greenspan looks like a buffoon now. only reason we're at this credit mess is because he cut rates to 1% in 2001.
But of course in his new book he blames GW for all the current problems, from free spending and a "war for oil"

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sat, 22 Sep 2007 9:26 am

huggybear wrote:KSL
everyone takes care of their interests and don't care to help anyone really. banks will take care of their interests and you will take care of yours. only problem is that banks have a lot more money then you and a lot more political clout. (Companies will only act in chartiable situations because it helps their public image and thus helps to support their stock price. otherwise they would just happily go back to dumping toxic chemicals in your drinking water or painting your children's toys with lead paint.)

I doubt Merv the Swerve blinked when you called him to have him bail you out of your $hit marconi position... but when northern rock calls from a highly supportive north UK of the labor party .... well then gordon brown makes a couple phone calls and forces merve the swerve to do something.

greenspan looks like a buffoon now. only reason we're at this credit mess is because he cut rates to 1% in 2001.
Quite true!
Greenspan I would rather count on, and believe, Gordon Brown on the other hand is a political, devious piece of work, like the rest of the British Government, Looks like Bush is still running the show in UK, and the government is listening!

The NHS will be privatised eventually, and with the influx of immigrants and crime totally out of control, and no prisons available, its getting like the wild wild west

I'm not a capitalist in the same sense, although i do see, the opportunities for making alot of money, its a little sad, in my opinion, that ethics and morals no longer come into it, Gordon Brown and cronies will no doubt screw the masses, like never before.

I've never seen so much disorganised unpractical political shit in my life, as whats going on here, the recycle of waste by local authorities and the way its collected is absolutely idiotic, with refuse collecting every 14 days.

The whole country as started fly tipping, because of the health hazards, its all a bloody joke, by some idiot on 45 grand a year, with a Phd and no practical sense!
Anyway my 2 cents is Northern Rock isn't finished yet, been looking at the T/A, which i do follow, and this little baby may well end up to 1£ in the next week or two, if it does, it could be another marconi, where all the insiders get paid out!

You see there are rules for them & rules for us, and it will always be that way, the British call it democracy :) You don't have to ask me what I call it! :cool: :roll:

Well the latest for NR today, the 25th, is that the directors have been rewarding themselves very well, for their efforts, and also want to pay shareholders, themselves a 60 million dividend this year! Last year one of them got £2 million with bonus! Some customers are paying interest rates of 11.5% double the UK Bank fo England rate!

I was told by a friend of mine, some guy has just purchased for 30,000£ of NR shares.
My opinion is, this baby is going further down and I'm not convinced, there will be a double take, with the Bank of England having loaned them a fair wack!

The other banks around the world have yet to come clean, no doubt we are in for a very bad couple of years!

Gold is looking good as a safe haven! and I believe gold will hit new records of above 850 soon and continue to 1000$ when the full effects of the sublime take a hold!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 12 Oct 2007 1:46 am

huggybear wrote:KSL

Yep! I guess you are right on the button, when you mention Gordon Browns phone calls! Maybe that was the signal to earn some quick bucks! In at 135 and out at 265, now watch it drop again, like a yoyo and the vultures are having a field day, at the cost of the small punter doing the lotto with their life savings. Insider trading NO NEVER :lol:

The whole of parliament are having a field day and Barings Bank have recouped all of Nick Leesons losses, I hear that Gordon may get a nighthood, or is that another one!

Return to “Strictly Speaking”