Singapore Expats

Going home to UK

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
lela01

Going home to UK

Post by lela01 » Wed, 15 Aug 2007 10:53 am

HI everyone,

After 6 months here in Singapore we are going back to UK. We would like to buy some furniture and TV but we are not sure do we need to pay export tax? Or maybe u know who should we ask

Thanks a lot

rob w

Post by rob w » Wed, 15 Aug 2007 5:40 pm

Not sure about export tax but i sure you will have to pay import tax + vat on arrival in the UK.
I moved back to the UK from Canada and brought a container loaded with a truck and various other items but as I had owned it all for over a year (Rule maybe 6 months ) It all came in as personal effects with no tax.
If you buy just as you move back you may get stung at the UK end.
My colleage just sent an peice of furnature home and had to pay tax on it.
Rob

lela01

Post by lela01 » Wed, 15 Aug 2007 8:54 pm

I didn't consider that but thanks very much for the information

Thanks

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Thu, 16 Aug 2007 9:21 am

lela01 wrote:I didn't consider that but thanks very much for the information

Thanks
You shouldn't worry too much, you can always get someone to give you a letter, to say they are all second hand goods at a lower price! Not that I would ever do that of course! :wink:

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Matney » Thu, 16 Aug 2007 2:29 pm

If you don't keep the receipts, take off any price stickers, how would one know that it isn't used furniture? :wink:

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Thu, 16 Aug 2007 4:30 pm

I shipped my car from HK to the UK and because it was mine i didn't pay any taxes for it at all in the UK. There might be an issue of proving you've owned it for a certain number of months but i honestly cannot remember needing to do it with the car or not.

With regards SG i don't think there is an "export tax" as such and it COULD be even that if you buy and send directly overseas you might actually avoid paying the GST of 7%, or at least could claim it back.

I saved the VAT on personal items i bought a shipped directly to HK when i first left the UK.