Singapore Expats

Stop Complaining!

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Global Citizen » Mon, 18 Jun 2007 3:55 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote: I didn't mean we need to change the world. Just ourselves. By not complaining so much.
That is putting it in a nutshell. I'm not against complaining per se especially if there's merit to the complaint and as already discussed earlier here am also of the opinion that complaining sometimes does serve an important function in letting off steam and getting things off one's chest but only against the constant whiners. (Sorry for the misunderstanding here SMS if I didn't put my point across clearly and i concede the title of the thread coupled with the pastor's message may be misleading.) You know who you are (constant whiners) or may know of some who're like that.

Bad service, maid abuse, unsafe driving habits, lack of proper hygiene, rudeness from service personnel to me qualify as complaints of merit while the constant whining of the price of alcohol, (drink less) crappy tv (subscribe to what you want and stop being so cheap by cribbing about price) and the foot shuffle. (sorry, can't help you there ) do not.

What does get my goat though is the perpetual litany of complaints that one sees a lot of on forum boards that are a pure waste of bandwidth, in my opinion and its usually the same posters too again and again. Petty, trivial, inane complaints that do nothing but reflect the state of one's constant dissatisfaction, negativity and reflection on life in general. These are the people that I believe should take on the pastor's challenge. :)
One man's meat is another's poison.

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Global Citizen » Mon, 18 Jun 2007 4:38 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:Isn't the Pastor simply complaining that everybody complains so much? If you think he is only expressing an opinion, then what's the difference?

Not really the most reliable source then, don't you think.
Scooby, I can't speak on the Pastor's behalf but I do believe that there is line of disctinction that can be drawn between people who're expressing their opinion and the ones who make a habit of complaining habitually.

His idea seems to have caught on and does bear some mulling over especially if it can effect some change for the better. I'm neither advocating nor endorsing his idea for a complaint free world because frankly I believe complaining can effect change and some complaints bear merit but the world is full of disgruntled, dissatisfied and discontented folks who also think complaining about every trivial thing on the planet is their god given right :lol:

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Re: You have a book to Author.

Post by Global Citizen » Mon, 18 Jun 2007 8:38 pm

Shankar wrote:
Hi GC,

I see that you have a great opportunity to Author a book. You already have a title "Trailing Spouse". You can very well document all the mood swings you have been through. Either you can shape the book as a "Problem narration" or as a solution to future Trailing Spouses.

Shan
Now there's an idea! Channel it all into a book and promote it as being therapeutic. :P

fefe

Post by fefe » Fri, 10 Aug 2007 10:50 pm

I guess what GC is trying to say is, have a bigger heart, be more magnanimous, and essentially ... just do not sweat the small stuff!

I have been there myself, having high expectations on everything around, computers should work perfectly without glitches, people should do what they say, say what they mean, there should be fairness and justice etc. But, in the real world, all these ideals aren't happening. So, do we just feel miserable and upset, and kill more body cells, have higher blood pressure because other people or other things have failed us? No, there is a higher road out there, just walk away, forgive, and tell ourselves it doesn't matter.

But, when it comes to goods and services, I am still as demanding as hell if need to :wink:

mayamomi
Regular
Regular

Post by mayamomi » Mon, 13 Aug 2007 4:21 pm

I guess before anyone complains, they should first think to themselves, "do i have a solution to this problem? is there a better way to do this?"... instead of starting to whine and cry and pout and complain about the way things are ...

to complain without any input is definitely not constructive ... but to voice out anything thats wrong and to try to find a solution? that's another matter

i agree with the point that if u do not point out to the pple doing the wrong things then u're actually doing them a disfavour and this i feel, is typical singapore behaviour.. to keep quiet but gossip behind others' backs about the things they feel are wrong... i guess its our asian culture??
To you, he's a dog...
To me, he's everything...