Singapore Expats

Applicants with a criminal record

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
WoofAndQuack

Applicants with a criminal record

Post by WoofAndQuack » Thu, 09 Aug 2007 1:55 pm

Hello everybody, i have always been interested to go for cabin crew interviews but one thing still bugs me all the time. I have a criminal record. My offence only required me to pay a fine, no jail term. But i think I speak for all ex offenders here, seeking help from any HR personel of any airline or any Big Company or ayone who knows for that matter to clear my doubts wether they really do a reference check with the police department. If SQ does, what about airlines with cabin crew based in another country? Thanks in advance for those who can help.
people change to accept changes in people

rev12000
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Applicants with a criminal record

Post by rev12000 » Thu, 09 Aug 2007 2:01 pm

WoofAndQuack wrote:Hello everybody, i have always been interested to go for cabin crew interviews but one thing still bugs me all the time. I have a criminal record. My offence only required me to pay a fine, no jail term. But i think I speak for all ex offenders here, seeking help from any HR personel of any airline or any Big Company or ayone who knows for that matter to clear my doubts wether they really do a reference check with the police department. If SQ does, what about airlines with cabin crew based in another country? Thanks in advance for those who can help.
Coz' i onced thought it would affect my employment too. [automotive-related] ... My case was closed after paying the fine. Am really curious how they define criminal record too. :)
Do NoT TaKe LaZY PeoPLe aS aPaTHeTiC PeoPLe, aS aPaTHeTiC PeoPLe Do NoT CaRe aBouT aNYTHiNG. LaZY PeoPLe CaRe, JuST THaT THeY Do NoT Do aNYTHiNG aBouT iT.

WoofAndQuack

Post by WoofAndQuack » Thu, 09 Aug 2007 2:07 pm

Hello, may i ask what's your criminal record? Coz' i onced thought it would affect my employment too. [automotive-related] ... My case was closed after paying the fine. Am really curious how they define criminal record too. :)
ok, mine is not traffic offence. I know for sure traffic offence doesnt have any effect. Traffic offence is usually not included when they ask "have you ever been convicted in the court of law?" :(

rev12000
Chatter
Chatter

Post by rev12000 » Thu, 09 Aug 2007 2:27 pm

WoofAndQuack wrote:
Hello, may i ask what's your criminal record? Coz' i onced thought it would affect my employment too. [automotive-related] ... My case was closed after paying the fine. Am really curious how they define criminal record too. :)
ok, mine is not traffic offence. I know for sure traffic offence doesnt have any effect. Traffic offence is usually not included when they ask "have you ever been convicted in the court of law?" :(
:lol: It's more than just a traffic offence, trust me. Then i was young hope they do take this into consideration before theybalcklist me.

p/s :: Guess it's not a major offence but the summon, the police, the court, the judge and ... et cetra. [faint] I swear i won't do that again but it hard to tell what they are looking for in the criminal record. SQ is the most stringent that i've came across,
"Have you ever been charged with any offence or convicted by any Court or detained by the authorities under the provisions of any law in any country? (Important: Please note you must give full details of any charges made against you even if you were eventually acquitted by the Court)" :mad:

Best wishes
Do NoT TaKe LaZY PeoPLe aS aPaTHeTiC PeoPLe, aS aPaTHeTiC PeoPLe Do NoT CaRe aBouT aNYTHiNG. LaZY PeoPLe CaRe, JuST THaT THeY Do NoT Do aNYTHiNG aBouT iT.

WoofAndQuack

Post by WoofAndQuack » Thu, 09 Aug 2007 2:38 pm

rev12000 wrote:

:lol: It's more than just a traffic offence, trust me. Then i was young hope they do take this into consideration before theybalcklist me.

p/s :: Guess it's not a major offence but the summon, the police, the court, the judge and ... et cetra. [faint] I swear i won't do that again but it hard to tell what they are looking for in the criminal record. SQ is the most stringent that i've came across,
"Have you ever been charged with any offence or convicted by any Court or detained by the authorities under the provisions of any law in any country? (Important: Please note you must give full details of any charges made against you even if you were eventually acquitted by the Court)" :mad:

Best wishes
So yours wasnt a traffic offence? Was it a criminal offence? I read from the qatar post u made it to medical check-up! Congrats!! That means got record also can go through?

rev12000
Chatter
Chatter

Post by rev12000 » Thu, 09 Aug 2007 2:43 pm

WoofAndQuack wrote:So yours wasnt a traffic offence? Was it a criminal offence? I read from the qatar post u made it to medical check-up! Congrats!! That means got record also can go through?
AAhhh ... now you see my point. I didn't kill or injured anyone but i was someone then who really got out of hand when it comes to traffic rules and regulations but i've changed. I swear i've CHANGED. HaHa!! Again, i can't tell you what are they truely looking for when it comes to criminal record. Regards

p/s :: thanks, i hope i'll pass the medical.

rinnuwatanabe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by rinnuwatanabe » Thu, 09 Aug 2007 2:48 pm

rev12000 wrote:
WoofAndQuack wrote:So yours wasnt a traffic offence? Was it a criminal offence? I read from the qatar post u made it to medical check-up! Congrats!! That means got record also can go through?
AAhhh ... now you see my point. I didn't kill or injured anyone but i was someone then who really got out of hand when it comes to traffic rules and regulations but i've changed. I swear i've CHANGED. HaHa!! Again, i can't tell you what are they truely looking for when it comes to criminal record. Regards

p/s :: thanks, i hope i'll pass the medical.
Hey there u can check with the Singapore police force website whether ur case has been spend or not.... or u can call them for enquiry...same goes to me..... it depends what kind of case you're enquiry of, but every case, normally they wil tell u how long u have to wait for your case to get spend..... then u no need to state in ya application form once ur case has been cleared in the lists...... unless if u still have to wait for it to get spend then u have to write down wat kind of case u have now, then its up to em to accept u or not and they will go through case by case

p:s// Its better for you to check with the police personally, its located at Cantonment, and if they already have cleared your case n now u're free u also can ask them for a letter that is stated u didnt have any record here in Singapore., but u have to pay for it ya if im not wrong its costs about $50 bucks for that piece of letter, so it easy for u when next time u wanna proof to em that u didnt have any records........:wink:

hey here is the webiste http://www.spf.gov.sg/epc/Rendered%20Sp ... nquiry.htm

Ans & Question:

If a person's criminal record is "spent", does it mean that he can answer "no" when asked if he has a criminal record in an employment application?

A person who has a criminal record that is rendered spent can say "no" when asked if he has a criminal record in an employment application.

If a person's criminal record is "spent", does it mean that he can answer "no" when asked if he has ever been convicted in a court of law in an employment application?

A person's criminal record that is rendered spent does not change the fact that he had been convicted before. Hence the person has to answer "yes" when asked if he has ever been convicted in a court of law.

Does a person need to apply to the Police for his record to be rendered spent? How would a person know whether his criminal record has been rendered spent?

There is no need for a person to apply to the Police for his record to be rendered spent. Those who qualify will automatically have their criminal record rendered spent.

Persons who wish to know whether their criminal records have been marked as spent would have to make an appointment via the hotline 6557 5700 to meet the counter staff of the Police Records Office located at Police Cantonment Complex, in order for the Police to ascertain their identities and safeguard the confidential information.

On 10 May this year, an electronic portal will be launched by the Police to allow ex-offenders round-the-clock convenience to check whether their personal criminal records have been marked as spent. The electronic portal may be accessed via the internet websites: http://www.spf.gov.sg or http://www.ecitizen.gov.sg , by using the NRIC number as the login ID and SingPass (Singapore Personal Access) as the authentication password. More information on SingPass can be found on the SingPass website at http://www.ecitizen.gov.sg/singpass/index.htm .

Persons who have no internet access or wish to clarify the contents of the information on the electronic portal may call the inquiry hotline at 6557 5700 during office hours

For more enquiries please refer to here http://www.spf.gov.sg/faqs/police_crimi ... htm#effect
Last edited by rinnuwatanabe on Thu, 09 Aug 2007 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rinnuwatanabe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by rinnuwatanabe » Thu, 09 Aug 2007 3:00 pm

For ur info ive been caught and fine 2 times for traffic offence...hahah
indeed i cudnt careless just pay la then ~game over~

But trust me if u have traffic offence nothing to worried about, unless for other offence which is lawful with the gov.

By the way
here is an example which i check using my own SINGPASS, u will get this message if u dun have any case by now:

SxxxxxxxA

With effect from 17 October 2005, the Registration of Criminals Act as amended will allow the record of a minor conviction kept in the Register of Criminals to become spent if the person has stayed crime-free for a specified period.

This is to inform you that the amendments to the Registration of Criminals Act do not apply to you.

This notice is valid as of 09 Aug 2007 .

Hey hopes its helps for ya to check ya case...
all the best ya,,,,.... cheers :wink:

WoofAndQuack

Post by WoofAndQuack » Thu, 09 Aug 2007 3:46 pm

OH MY GOD RIN!!!

Thanks a million!! :D Dat really does help a whole lot!! Really appreciate your help. For now, If there is any HR personel who can advice about the screening process would be very good.
Last edited by WoofAndQuack on Thu, 09 Aug 2007 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinnuwatanabe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by rinnuwatanabe » Thu, 09 Aug 2007 3:47 pm

WoofAndQuack wrote:OH MY GOD RIN!!!

Thanks a million!! :D Dat really does help a whole lot!! Really appreciate your help. For now, If there is any HR personel who can advice about the screening purposes would be very good.
Hey no prob dude~
Don't worry ya

Stay cheers~ :wink:

rev12000
Chatter
Chatter

Post by rev12000 » Thu, 09 Aug 2007 4:12 pm

rinnuwatanabe wrote:For ur info ive been caught and fine 2 times for traffic offence...hahah

But trust me if u have traffic offence nothing to worried about, unless for other offence which is lawful with the gov.
This is really informative, thanks. :)
Else my court case will always remain a nightmare for me.

rinnuwatanabe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by rinnuwatanabe » Thu, 09 Aug 2007 4:19 pm

rev12000 wrote:
rinnuwatanabe wrote:For ur info ive been caught and fine 2 times for traffic offence...hahah

This is really informative, thanks. :)
Else my court case will always remain a nightmare for me.
Hahha...not to worry k...
not only me alone got this stupid case even ma frens too
she also dun give a damn la,...
only at first those who think its such a "CRIMINAL" offence,
Fortunately is NOTHING
:lol: ..... hahaha

rev12000
Chatter
Chatter

Post by rev12000 » Thu, 09 Aug 2007 4:23 pm

rinnuwatanabe wrote:only at first those who think its such a "CRIMINAL" offence
Trust me, it's more than a traffic offence. My mum almost suffered a knock-out when police came and ... HaHa!! Still it's an "evil" experience, won't do that again. Thanks for letting us know that there's a chance where our records could be spent. cheers ... :)

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Thu, 09 Aug 2007 4:25 pm

WoofAndQuack,
I can't speak for Singapore since I don't know for certain but in the UK you can be sure employers check for a criminal record which in this country is known as a CRB. One reason for its existence is to stop convicted child molesters gaining employment with children as did happen.

A problem for applicants to certain jobs in the UK is an employer can quite rightly ask if you have a criminal record but has no right to ask what for (Data Protection Act) therefore answering yes would mean automatic disqualification (you couldn't have a convicted rapist working as a driving instructor for example).

However, Singapore law is different and what matters is what is defined as criminal.

Take care and don't tell any lies, it isn't worth it although possibly you may find yourself paying for your mistake for the rest of your life. :(

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Thu, 09 Aug 2007 4:30 pm

WoofAndQuack wrote: If SQ does, what about airlines with cabin crew based in another country? Thanks in advance for those who can help.
Those with criminal records will find they are denied access to the United States so there is obviously a means the US can find out. I would think the same would apply to many other countries, you would have to find out from the respective countries embassy or website.
Last edited by Plavt on Mon, 13 Aug 2007 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.