Singapore Expats

SOS! Need help to find an IT (Manager) job

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
teiklee

SOS! Need help to find an IT (Manager) job

Post by teiklee » Thu, 02 Aug 2007 3:18 pm

Good day, everyone!

I am a Malaysian Chinese, planning to move and settle down in Singapore with family (2 young kids). I started to look for job advertised at online ads (Jobstreet, JobsDB, monster.com, st701.com ...etc) about a year ago and sent in more than 100 job applications to the respective company. I also forwarded my CV to many (I think more than 50) IT recruitment firms in SG.

I received less than 10 calls/replies from recruitment agents who found a match between my CV and the job offered. However, they all went unsuccessful after several follow-ups.

I hope someone in this forum (especially those currently work in IT industry) could help if there's any job openings in your company. Others may provide advice/experience/tips on how to effectively secure an IT (Manager) job in SG.

A brief background on my work experience and the job I am looking for. I am 10+ years in IT works specializing in (Finance) application incident management, problem management, change management (ITIL), crisis management (business continuity and disaster recovery) and project management. I am looking for positions like IT Manager or Application Support Manager in the abovementioned area.

Thank you for reading the message and I appreciate very much your help.
I can be contacted at [email protected]

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Post by riversandlakes » Thu, 02 Aug 2007 5:33 pm

Boss, surely this ain't the way to job-hunt? And since when does a job equal soul?
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

ching
Regular
Regular

Post by ching » Fri, 03 Aug 2007 12:13 am

Hi, if you've got a strong background in Finance IT and you've got good ITIL service management credentials, you should have a pretty good shot at finding companies here that need your skills.

Having said that, blasting your resume out to job sites isn't exactly the best way to find a good senior position. You'll probably be more successful if you do a little more networking instead.

Do you have any friends, colleagues, ex-colleagues, or school mates working in the IT or Finance industries in Singapore? Perhaps they may know someone who's looking for help with managing their applications.

If you don't know how to get started with networking to find a good match (between your skills and an employer who needs them), check out asktheheadhunter.com by Nick Corcodilos. He's based in the US but gives great advice that is useful everywhere.

I particularly like his article, Pursue Companies, Not Jobs. He says, "Stop looking for jobs that seem to match your credentials. Instead, look for good companies that are in a business you want to be involved in for the long haul," and then gives practical advice on making contacts and finding opportunities.

Good luck!
Tips from expats living in Singapore - http://www.livinginsingapore.org

teiklee

Post by teiklee » Fri, 03 Aug 2007 11:17 am

Ching,

Thank you so much for advice. I'll go check out the articles and the website you mentioned.

Please help to connect me if you know of someone in SG that is hiring in my area of expertise.

darian

Post by darian » Sat, 04 Aug 2007 5:43 pm

why u wanna moved in 2 Singapore? its not easy man...ive tried that...finally moved back 2kl.

barbaraus

SOS! I should have advertised in the Classified Section

Post by barbaraus » Wed, 15 Aug 2007 11:05 pm

Barbara

You are right. Actually, ideally you should post positions available advertisements in the Classified section of this site. It's free. Had you bothered to take the time to read the stickies in these forums you would have already noticed that advertising is just not done in the threads themselves.

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Post by riversandlakes » Wed, 05 Sep 2007 9:20 am

What happened?
darian wrote:why u wanna moved in 2 Singapore? its not easy man...ive tried that...finally moved back 2kl.
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.