Singapore Expats

Laptop Recommedations please?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
solitude

Laptop Recommedations please?

Post by solitude » Wed, 01 Aug 2007 7:49 pm

Hi all!
I'm thinking of changing my laptop because the toshiba laptop I'm currently using is too heavy for me! I'm a polytechnic student so as expected, I need to move quite alot so weight of the laptop is very crucial to me.
I've been viewing quite alot of offers, school, the net, roadshows but the more I see, the more :???: I am.. I use laptop for assignments and surfing net more than gaming, so small screen doesn't really matter to me, but the price of the laptop matters, so would like to get some worthy laptop :roll: My school does offer some brands, and I was quite attracted to a particular acer laptop, but I heard acer is not-that-ideal. But anyway, would like to hear more opinions. All kinds of help is appreciated!! :)

Thanks,
Madeline

muratkorman
Chatter
Chatter

Post by muratkorman » Thu, 02 Aug 2007 10:46 am

I have been using Acer for 5 months now. It is mainly used for internet surfing and gaming every single day. Nothing bad happened yet. For price vs configuration, Acer would be a good choice. The experts just warn that some components are not as high quality as some other big brands.
With my kind regards

Murat Korman

solitude

Post by solitude » Thu, 02 Aug 2007 11:38 am

i heard from my mates that acer is not so good, because the mother board would tend to heat up as compared to other brands and hence more prone to spoilage. So far is the laptop giving you any problem besides heat problem?

muratkorman
Chatter
Chatter

Post by muratkorman » Thu, 02 Aug 2007 11:46 am

Heat problem is relative. I expect to have heating in laptop after 2 hours continuous play. I sometimes spend hours without stopping. Besides that, I haven't experienced anything bad.
With my kind regards

Murat Korman

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Thu, 02 Aug 2007 3:23 pm

Solitude,
My own suggestion; try Fujitsu-Siemens, their machines are expensive but are light (usually around 2.7 kg) and often come with a three year warranty.

solitude

Post by solitude » Fri, 03 Aug 2007 1:00 pm

well, since i'm buying with the school, any laptop would come with 3-year warranty, just that the models are quite limited. Is lenovo good?

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 03 Aug 2007 2:06 pm

solitude wrote:w Is lenovo good?
Not from what I have heard, Apple tend to be well experienced in Educational institutes. Found them a little a chaotic but the hardware is reliable, the software simple to use. Once again expensive and do take some time to check out their products, much depends whether or not you can live without Windows.
Last edited by Plavt on Sun, 05 Aug 2007 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

solitude

Post by solitude » Sat, 04 Aug 2007 2:59 pm

hmm, i didnt hear anything bad about apple, but my poly encouraged us not to buy it because some neccesary program don't really run well with mac, but thanks for the advice i may consider apple (:

any other recommedations?

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Matney » Sun, 05 Aug 2007 12:50 pm

We are an apple family...we have 4 in the house. Yes, there may be programs that you can't use, but ususally there is a way around that. We have found good service from the shop at Cineleisure. With the extended warranty, we have never had to pay for the hard drive that crashed after 3 years, or the motherboard. We have owned a Windows Vista since February and have had nothing but trouble. The service hasn't been great either.
Go Apple!! Leopard comes out later this year and you won't regret it!!

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sun, 05 Aug 2007 3:16 pm

As Matney says; Apple's new operating system Leopard comes out later this year which means on an a mac with an intel chip you will be able to run windows. At present this is only possible on an imac and then only Windows XP but is not to be recommended given the reviews I have read so far.

Here's a tip; for information regarding Apple products visit a local retailer (one that is purely an Apple vendor if such exists in Singapore). You will find the staff there if they have been there a few years are better informed than the telephone support staff or sales lines (at least that is my experience here in the UK). :o

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Matney » Sun, 05 Aug 2007 5:22 pm

My son got a hold a video of the Apple creator talking about leopard. One thing that amazed me was when you delete something it is gone forever, but with the new system, you are able to get deleted items back. I know I have deleted something when I really regret that I did or didn't intend to delete.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sun, 05 Aug 2007 6:09 pm

A little off-topic but there are various programs for recovering deleted files although I admit I haven't looked at those available for Apple until now.

Here's one link;

http://stellarinfo.com/esupport/users/k ... d=36&sid2=

Alternatively just key the words;'file recovery software, Apple' into google, you maybe surprised what you find. :)

solitude

Post by solitude » Mon, 06 Aug 2007 8:20 pm

hmm, so when are they gonna launch leopard anyways? It sounds interesting, but I can't wait for too long cuz I would need the laptop before my school terms starts in mid october. Oh no, spoilt for choices again! :-|

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 07 Aug 2007 2:40 pm

You can run windows on any of the current intel macs without waiting for Leopard. You can use bootcamp (I think it's called) supplied by Apple or Parallels which is a 3rd party app. As someone mentioned go to a decent Apple store and spend some time on the apple site to see what is on offer

Apple are certainly worth considering but may not suit either your requirements or pocket.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Tue, 07 Aug 2007 3:31 pm

bgd wrote:You can run windows on any of the current intel macs without waiting for Leopard. You can use bootcamp (I think it's called) supplied by Apple or Parallels ]which is a 3rd party app.
Beware........I have and iMac which I am using right now and that didn't work. Parallels from what I can gather will do the job but myself I am not going to do it. Should you read the reviews on the web you will find it diminishes the graphics quality and possibly some of the machines other capabilities. In addition iMacs at present run only Windows XP, so my advice is don't bother.