Singapore Expats

Broadband?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Ruslan

Broadband?

Post by Ruslan » Tue, 08 May 2007 6:02 pm

I'm choosing a broadband provider. Interested in your experience with providers - speed, reliability, service. Particularly, choosing between StarHub and Singtel Mio plans. StarHub offers a set of equipment with their plans (half of which is not needed for me), SingTel on the other hand is offering free mobile calls.

Upd: also StarHub offers discounts if subscribed to 3 their services - cable tv, mobile and broadband.
Regards

rhino
Regular
Regular

Post by rhino » Tue, 08 May 2007 7:13 pm

I have Singtel (3500 kps unlimited) and am happy with the service - I signed up prior to them offering the MiO bundle, so can't comment on that.

Before you go for MaxOnline, StarHub have a search utility on their website that allows you to check whether or not you can actually get MaxOnline in your block - check that before you go any further with StarHub! They signed me up to MaxOnline even though I couldn't receive it! To their credit they admitted their mistake and sent someone around to my work to collect all the equipment provided to me, and I wasn't charged anything.

endlssorrow

Post by endlssorrow » Tue, 29 May 2007 8:03 am

i recommend singtel.
my starhub wasnt working that great compare to singtel.
of course, some will say depend on the location where u stay.

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Wed, 30 May 2007 12:54 am

Been using Starhub for a while in several places and never had any problems. This really seems to depend a lot on where you're based, but I don't think either one has a consistent advantage.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

Dobski
Regular
Regular

Post by Dobski » Sat, 16 Jun 2007 8:33 pm

Also been using StaHub - got the 100Meg package.
Fastest in the world at the moment I think !

They even called me last week because they detected a problem with my modem - which I knew nothing about !
Coming next week to swap it out........

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Tue, 03 Jul 2007 1:04 am

migth be an idea to post some real results here

I use http://www.speedtest.net/

SINGTEL 5mb package
Singapore server
5415 kbs down
389kbs up
27ms ping ( latency)
London
1456 kbs down
200 kbs up
374ms ping ( latency)

Cheers

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Tue, 03 Jul 2007 1:07 am

Dobski wrote:Also been using StaHub - got the 100Meg package.

They even called me last week because they detected a problem with my modem - which I knew nothing about !
Coming next week to swap it out........
I'd be very wary of "them" detecting you need a modem change !!!!
Could be they want to update it to one they can control/ throttle the speed on remotely ...it does happen

Who me paranoid ????!!!! :D

Jedi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jedi » Tue, 03 Jul 2007 10:47 am

Don't be fooled by the hype. You will NEVER reach download speeds close to 100Mbps (ie. 12.5 MegaByte/s). Have you ever bench marked it to see what actual bandwidth speeds you get?

babykasim
Chatter
Chatter

Post by babykasim » Tue, 03 Jul 2007 10:55 am

Jedi wrote:
Don't be fooled by the hype. You will NEVER reach download speeds close to 100Mbps (ie. 12.5 MegaByte/s). Have you ever bench marked it to see what actual bandwidth speeds you get?
kinda agree here
i actually checked with the starhub staff and they said though their modem has a high-speed not all website can acommodate it. so if you ended up going to those kind of website, the high speed you got doesn't mean a lot.

i'm using singnet 3.5 Mbps as well - its pretty good for my not so heavy usage, cheaper too :D
Last edited by babykasim on Tue, 03 Jul 2007 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 03 Jul 2007 4:23 pm

Have a 10MB with singtel, but never seen it over 3.5, pointless even considering complaining! We are actually buying the sony bravia promotion at a discount, so hey whats up doc! I was paying 50$ for 512mb a month the extra 30$ a month x 28 months pays for the 32inch TV.

MblSH
Regular
Regular

Post by MblSH » Fri, 27 Jul 2007 2:26 pm

I'm with Starhub MaxOnline 12.5 and I am really getting full 12.5 mbit, so for me it works alright, don't know about Singtel; as for equipment bundle - you can sign up on a month to month basis, get only a free modem and then switch to 2 years if you see a bundle you like (if ever - I'm still on month to month :D )

Max

Dobski
Regular
Regular

Post by Dobski » Fri, 27 Jul 2007 11:53 pm

Starhub are pretty clear that you wont get the full 100 meg on the Max Online ultimate package.
In fact, you'll only get anything outstandingly good on a Starhub partner site.

Nevertheless, still getting nice speeds:-
from Speedtest.net:-

From Starhubs own network test site:-
Download Stats:
Transfer Time: 11219 milliseconds
Total File Size: 83886080 bytes
Top speed attained: 60.09 Mbps

This is through my router, so may get slightly better if I go direct to PC.
Also, buying a new NIC in the next few days, so should see a little improvement.

I mentioned above Starhub spotted a fault and replaced my modem without me even reporting it........ turns out there was a whole batch of dodgy modems they were swapping, so their monitoring isn't as fantastic as I hoped - so your parnoia, bigfilsing, was partly justified !
Last edited by Dobski on Mon, 30 Jul 2007 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Sun, 29 Jul 2007 9:27 am

wow thats fast Dobski.
I am always wary of ISP's. Not surprisingly they seem to always operate in their best interest rather than ours.
With inteligent modems nowadays they can pretty much do what they want. Thats why i always use my own and not the "one that came with the package".
I've never used Starhub and i was just reading up on them for a friend recently and noticed the don;t allow people to run a server at home.
I guess this referes to HTTP server. I cant; imagine they'd notice an FTP server traffic. They must monitor traffic load to each IP then. Other wise how would they know.
Dobski. I'd be interested to know what cable modem you have and how do you set it up.? Does it have an http setup interface?

I just stopped my singtel magix account ( after 8 years) . It was only a 512k connection but an ATM connection with fixed IP ( has it's uses)
My current 5meg Singtel is a little faster but not much. and now i've got "no-ip" working i'm saving myself 150 bucks a month. Pretty happy so far.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 29 Jul 2007 10:41 am

Dobski,

I tried the speedtest.net speed and while I'm only used Pacnet 1500 I'm able to get almost 1400 d/l and 380 upload speeds. What is interesting though it what you did not post that I'm curious about.

What types of readings are you getting on the site using foreign servers like moscow, LA, NY, and such? The test between you and a Singapore based server will mean both will more than likely be on the Singapore Backbone therefore within the "last mile" so of course your speeds will reflect same. Check out against the foreign servers both on that site and also here. Will be interesting to see.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

MblSH
Regular
Regular

Post by MblSH » Mon, 30 Jul 2007 12:42 pm

bigfilsing:

Not allowing to host a server is afaik a standard clause in every ISP's agreement; it doesn't make much sense for them as they want to sell commercial lines/packages. I don't think that's really enforced though - it's just that with 30K upload speed and dynamic ip you can't seriosly host anything anyway

Max