Singapore Expats

Acer Aspire Owners - Have you had any reliability issues?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Amelia Camelia
Regular
Regular

Acer Aspire Owners - Have you had any reliability issues?

Post by Amelia Camelia » Fri, 27 Jul 2007 12:47 pm

Hello again,

I feel I'm a bit prolific in my posting... sorry!

As kindly posted by prkravi the following link displays the 5 best gaming notebooks in Asia at the moment in terms of 3D graphics performance I think :

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/notebooks/ ... 537,00.htm

What I find surprising is that the number 1 notebook is probably the cheapest one of the lot! by quite a bit I imagine. It's an Acer Aspire which I saw in Harvey Norman for $2500. The Asus G2S (number 5) in the survey is twice that!

So now I am really tempted by the Acer especially after reading other reviews and finding out that it has pretty good sound too.

I don't know the Acer make very well at all - I've only heard about reliability issues, so I was hoping Acer users would shed some light.

Thanks for any input.
AC

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 27 Jul 2007 1:42 pm

Hi Again A C,
Personally I wouldn't take too much notice of the reviews in magazines or elsewhere.

As I mentioned before; Acer's technical support here in the UK sucks; they close for lunch and when returning the phones are so busy you can't get through! When parts are needed, customers are told they are in Taiwan and will take several weeks to arrive. You might care to have a look at;

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=3235

prkravi
Chatter
Chatter

Acer Aspire

Post by prkravi » Fri, 27 Jul 2007 2:23 pm

Hi AC,
Were you there at the Suntec Harvey Norman stall too?
Well i was having a peep during lunch hour as well.
But to be honest with you, i did not like the design of the Acer Aspire looked kind of messed up.

But hey did you have a look at the HP PVAILLION with core 2 duo 2.4 GHZ, 2GB RAM and a whopping 856MB of Nividia graphics card?? and at 2400 SGD i think that one was AWESOME!!

But i am still going to wait for the COMEX 2007 ciming up in Aug end, would be landing better deals if not freebies or extended warranties.

Happy hunting...
Ravi.

Plavt
Director
Director

Re: Acer Aspire

Post by Plavt » Fri, 27 Jul 2007 6:31 pm

prkravi wrote:Hi AC,
But hey did you have a look at the HP PVAILLION with core 2 duo 2.4 GHZ, 2GB RAM and a whopping 856MB of Nividia graphics card?? and at 2400 SGD i think that one was AWESOME!!
..................but have you tried their telephone support? Finding somebody who actually understands is an enormous effort, but you seem to have an Indian name so maybe you have a big advantage. :P

luxiana
Regular
Regular

Post by luxiana » Fri, 27 Jul 2007 7:47 pm

got an aspire: you can fry an egg on the casing..
reboots randomly when too hot also.

I like it when it works but the reboot thing is really annoying...
my website: free online game

Amelia Camelia
Regular
Regular

Post by Amelia Camelia » Fri, 27 Jul 2007 9:46 pm

Hi hi!

Yes! I was there at Suntec! The assistants downstairs were hopeless :P I asked them if they had a higher spec laptop in the store and they said no. When I went upstairs to the actual store - there was a guy who really knew his stuff and they had numerous laptops with better specs.

Yeh - I saw the HP for $2400 and it's the same price as the Acer but the Acer is the exact model that comes out top in that review you posted, but I take on board what someone else said about not reading too much into those reviews....

The only difference between the HP and Acer is the graphics card - the Acer has the nVidia 8600M 1GB Turbo Cache and the HP has the nVidia 8400M 895MB memory. Interesting about the heat issue though - am having second thoughts about the Acer now...

I'm still planning on going to Funan tomorrow - it will make my head spin I'm sure! Harvey Norman have got some great promotions on too atm....

As for COMEX sounds really good.. but I can't wait that long! also I usually feel those sorts of shows/fairs don't really have any good deals/discounts and it's more about marketing than anything else. I normally come away feeling quite disappointed that I didn't get a bargain:P

take care and thanks for posting everyone
AC

luxiana
Regular
Regular

Post by luxiana » Sat, 28 Jul 2007 11:29 am

why dont you consider Asus: their service center seems pretty good. I think they have one (like Acer)
and they don't have the heat issue...
my website: free online game

Amelia Camelia
Regular
Regular

Post by Amelia Camelia » Sat, 28 Jul 2007 12:55 pm

Thanks for that rec.

I do really like the look of the ASUS G2s - the only problem is that I think it's nearly S$5k! I'll check the price today though.

AC

Charmerama

ACER Aspire 9104WLMI TV

Post by Charmerama » Sat, 28 Jul 2007 2:43 pm

Hi - I've had a ACER Aspire 9104WLMI (with TV tuner) for over a year now, and I'm very happy with it. Great screen (15.5" WXGA), good keyboard, light and slim. Hope that helps! :?

Amelia Camelia
Regular
Regular

FINALLY!

Post by Amelia Camelia » Sun, 29 Jul 2007 12:31 pm

Hi Everyone!

Thanks so much for posting.

So I went to Funan yesterday, had a scoot around and after considering everyone's opinions plumped for the ASUS G2S!!!!

I'm sooooooooooooooo impressed and totally over-the-moon about it.

It's easily by far the nicest computer I've ever owned!

And I got a discount and promotions too!

It has the new Santa Rosa chip in it :
Intel Centrino Duo Proc T7500 2.2Ghz, 4MB
nVidia GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB (GDDR3)
17 inch screen
2GB RAM
200GB HDD
plus an external 80GB drive, backpack and 1600dpi gaming mouse!

It was retailing around $3800-3900 but I got mine for $3550, which is a little bit above what I wanted to spend but I think I got lots more for just a bit more money.

First impressions are just Wow! the only downside is that it's really really heavy at about 4.5kgs but it was never intended to be lugged around outside really, just from room to room. The screen is amazing but the sound is average - it doesn't live up to the rest of the spec but that's ok for me.

:)
AC

prkravi
Chatter
Chatter

Congratulations

Post by prkravi » Sun, 29 Jul 2007 4:29 pm

Hi AC,
Congratulations!! You now have a Mean machine have fun.

Ravi.