Singapore Expats

Software Shop

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Amelia Camelia
Regular
Regular

Software Shop

Post by Amelia Camelia » Sat, 14 Jul 2007 10:40 am

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if someone could recommend a good store with a big range of PC software please?

In particular I'm looking for a Mandarin language CD-ROM - I was thinking of the Rosetta Stone series.

Thanks for any help :)
A

MikeHS

Post by MikeHS » Sun, 15 Jul 2007 5:52 am

Amela

Have you tried using www.chinesepod.com. A new lesson each day into I-tunes or listen on their site. For the lesson itself it is free.

Mike

Amelia Camelia
Regular
Regular

Post by Amelia Camelia » Sun, 15 Jul 2007 8:59 am

Hi Mike,

Thanks for that ! I just had a quick look and it looks really good :)

Amelia

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Sun, 15 Jul 2007 11:33 am

One of the most comprehensive software shops has to be challenger at the top of Funan

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Software Shop

Post by ksl » Sun, 15 Jul 2007 2:18 pm

Amelia Camelia wrote:Hello everyone,

I was wondering if someone could recommend a good store with a big range of PC software please?

In particular I'm looking for a Mandarin language CD-ROM - I was thinking of the Rosetta Stone series.

Thanks for any help :)
A

You should consider the Beijing Language Institute Cultural University, I studied there in the early 90's, it's quite tough being thrown in the deep end, but you should really try the online stuff, if you manage it, sign up for the online course! I guess it's really cheap these days!

Although with all languages, it is your own effort and motivation to succeed. I've been a litle lazy with conversation chinese, but i do understand quite alot, and i can use the dictionary, and have mastered writing! :oops: Really because my 7 year old is fluent.

Try the link here :
http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ftopic42963.html

You would also benefit, witha 3 month course in China, you would love it! Although the food on campus leaves alot to be desired!

Amelia Camelia
Regular
Regular

Post by Amelia Camelia » Thu, 19 Jul 2007 7:55 pm

Hi,

Just wanted to say thanks for the rec - I bought the Beijing Language Institute Cultural University Language pack from MPH today. I'll give that go...

Funnily enough, I have similar reasons - my 4 year old is in a Chinese immersion programme so I want to continue learning for his sake as well as my own benefit!

I would love to spend time in China learning but unfortunately that's not possible right now. A few weeks' holiday is definitely on the cards though :)

Thanks to everyone again
A

Michale Crown

Post by Michale Crown » Fri, 03 Aug 2007 9:34 pm

Suggest Some most popular Gadgets for Youngsters .... !! :P

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sat, 04 Aug 2007 1:41 am

Amelia Camelia wrote: In particular I'm looking for a Mandarin language CD-ROM - I was thinking of the Rosetta Stone series.
The trouble with their course is it gives you no grammar; in some ways their method is commendable but quite frankly I think it is more suitable to children whose aptitude for learning a language by ear alone far out-flanks that of an adult.

Even something as basic as 'Teach Yourself Chinese' is more suitable for serious learners.

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Sat, 04 Aug 2007 3:36 am

what ?

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Sat, 04 Aug 2007 3:39 am

Plavt wrote:
Amelia Camelia wrote: In particular I'm looking for a Mandarin language CD-ROM - I was thinking of the Rosetta Stone series.
The trouble with their course is it gives you no grammar; in some ways their method is commendable but quite frankly I think it is more suitable to children whose aptitude for learning a language by ear alone far out-flanks that of an adult.

Even something as basic as 'Teach Yourself Chinese' is more suitable for serious learners.
Who are they?

Lighten up !!!!!!!!!!!!
It's a forgotten language not a pivitol war game

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sat, 04 Aug 2007 4:42 am

bigfilsing wrote: Lighten up !!!!!!!!!!!!
It's a forgotten language not a pivitol war game
What are you talking about!!??

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Sat, 04 Aug 2007 11:01 am

oops ...thats what happens when you've got 2 brousers open and on different forums and are assisted by Stella Artois

I'll be quiet now :D

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 04 Aug 2007 4:00 pm

:lol: been there, done that. Firefox is bad that way as I've always got 5 forums open as my home pages. Stella don't help much either! :P
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sun, 05 Aug 2007 12:28 am

bigfilsing wrote:oops ...thats what happens when you've got 2 brousers open and on different forums and are assisted by Stella Artois

I'll be quiet now :D
:lol: :lol: