Singapore Expats

Is it really necessary to live near to an MRT on the East?

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
the colemans

Is it really necessary to live near to an MRT on the East?

Post by the colemans » Sat, 14 Jul 2007 6:22 am

We are hopefully relocating with 2 kids under 2 1/2 in october and trying to get a feel for where to search for a place to live. Up to now I've been considering proximity to and MRT as being very important (will work in Raffles Place) but I think that this may severly limit my search... are buses reliable? Are most major condo complexes served by exec buses? how exactly do these work? are they reliable too?

Search By

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 14 Jul 2007 9:26 am

This would depend on POV (point of view). As a caucasian who has run the gamut of both car ownership and using the public transport system (and raising two children born here through adulthood) I can say that obviously proximity to an MRT would be the best avenue. However, having said that, I lived inside Seletar Airbase for 15 years (both with and without a car) and my children were babies through young teens there. Without a car and the nearest MRT being the Yio Chu Kang station it made transportation to & from the city a bit of a pain. Today, however, the buses are very regular, airconditioned and plentiful. The only drawback is if you need to travel during peak hours with small children (toddlers or smaller). The inherent inconsiderate behaviour of the general public will mean that often it will be a struggle trying to move about with small children. (This is starting to get better but it's still more animalistic than human behaviour even after almost 30 years of campaigns). Nevermind.

You best bet is someplace within around 10 minutes by bus to an MRT station. For your convenience an additional thing to think about is transfers at the MRT stations. If it is possible, try to locate near to an MRT that is either on the East-West line or the North-South one. If you locate somewhere on the North-East line you will have to change trains (including the walking between the two landings at Dhoby Ghaut) just to go the additional two stops to Raffles Place. It's because of this, that when I go to work I may use the Northeast line and change at Outram Park (I work in Bukit Batok and live on Yio Chu Kang road near Serangoon Gardens) but when I am going downtown I go to the AMK MRT station and down that way. (using a feeder bus in either case).

This small inconvience may result in considerable rental savings and who knows, may well free up enough to allow you to use taxis for the family trips instead.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by k1w1 » Sat, 14 Jul 2007 10:58 am

I found buses better than trains with prams. In trains, it was frightening to be caught half out of doors while people stood and refused to move over for you. At least in the bus, it won't move if you're not ready. I have had people shove my kids out of the way while we were standing in the aisle, and most people will not help you get your prams or children on and off the bus, so make sure you're well and truly able to handle them yourself.

Better yet, use taxi's when transporting your kids. Depending on their ages, get Joeysafe's (a harness which clips onto the car seatbelt making it safe for toddlers).

I have friends that bought cars with one year left on the COE, just to get them through the baby/toddler years. These cars are usually about $3-4k. If I had known about that, I would've done it too. Might be something to consider.

the colemans

Post by the colemans » Sat, 14 Jul 2007 4:43 pm

Thank you both for your responses... very helpful indeed. I suppose my wife will have the luxury of being able to travel with the children outside of peak hours and so this may help slightly. I think taxis will offer a great alternative for her but I'm reluctant to rely on them for work as again, this will be in the height of rush hour i suppose.

Is it likely that I'll be able to get a bus direct into the city from the East... I must admit i think i would rather sit on one bus for a slightly longer journey than to have to change routes or to use a bus and a train....

seasider
Chatter
Chatter

Post by seasider » Sat, 14 Jul 2007 5:42 pm

I haven't used them personally but I have friends at large condo complexes out east, e.g., Bayshore Park, that happily use the Busplus service into the CBD. Ask the agent or condo management office about them when you go viewing.

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Sun, 15 Jul 2007 9:28 am

Buses and taxis are very effective - There is no need to live near a MRT on the East. Besides a 15min bus trip will get you to an MRT anyway and buses in Singapore are luxurios (air con/TV/lots of good seating) anyway.
Be Like Water

HunBunny80
Chatter
Chatter

Post by HunBunny80 » Mon, 16 Jul 2007 11:38 pm

I live in the East and travel to the city is pretty good. They are regular and air-conditioned. Most come with television screens to keep you entertained and it is much cheaper than MRT as well.