Singapore Expats

Fresh Grad problem

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
SteveXan

Fresh Grad problem

Post by SteveXan » Tue, 10 Jul 2007 5:03 pm

Background:
Diploma of IT (Singapore Polytechnic)
Advanced Diploma in Business Admin (Thames Business School/Informatics)
Degree in Business Admin (University of Portsmouth/Informatics) -Result Pending-

I've been in Singapore for around 9 years since Secondary 2. Recently I've graduated from informatics. On my friend's advice, I decided to seek employment based on my IT Diploma since it is more recognized. I've focused largely on Helpdesk posts and offers since I'm pretty comfortable with my English. Most of the time the employment agency made return calls, but I get turned down almost immediately when they discovered I do not possess Permanent Resident status. (It doesn't help that I've already stated that fact on my e-mail ;) and had to repeat it over the phone).

Still I kept trying, but nothing came of it. My 1 month social visit pass just ended and my kind friend decided to be my sponsor on a long-term pass.

After reading several posts I am aware I am at extreme disadvantage, possessing very little experience and having no equal footing with the locals. My lack of mastery in Chinese Language does not help either. It's been a frustrating search for me at the moment. Any advice would be welcome.

I've pondered on another possibility of employment though, since I have a relative who is Singaporean (an Uncle of mine who sheltered me till Polytechnic days) would it be possible if his company hires me for 6 months and using the pay slip record, I apply for Permanent Resident status?

But I'd rather turn to that alternative as a final measure since our relationship is kind of strained at the moment.

Thanks for replying!

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Tue, 10 Jul 2007 9:01 pm

Your own assessment sounds pretty accurate -- on paper, there's not much reason for anybody to hire you. But if you've been in Sing for 9 years, don't you have other strings to pull? Employed friends who could recommend you, etc?
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

fishtank

Post by fishtank » Tue, 10 Jul 2007 11:25 pm

Hmm, this is a bit strange. Perhaps the education scheme is different btw local universities like NUS, NTU vs. polytechnic & others.

In my case, I graduated from NUS and was bonded to work in SG for couple of years, in exchange for the tuition grant (i.e. reduced school fee). Upon securing employment/ job offer, PR was immediately granted. We even received letter for potential employers stating the above from MOE/ICA.

Maybe you could check about the LPR (landed PR scheme). You have to be a recent grad (undergrad or master degree) i.e. 1 year or less. This LPR can then be converted into PR upon securing job offer. A friend of mine used SMC (an agent) and paid agent fee for about SGD 800 . This was about 1-2 years ago.

You may want to check this: http://www.smcmc.com/faqs/faqs2.htm

Good luck!