Singapore Expats

Wireless Router

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Lyndan

Wireless Router

Post by Lyndan » Mon, 09 Jul 2007 12:54 pm

Hi All

I recently signed up with StarHub for broadband and although I got the modem they told me I had to buy a wireless router myself that they dont provide or sell them?

Does this sound strange? Anyone else had to get their own - can you point me in the right direction and advise price?

Cheers

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Mon, 09 Jul 2007 1:08 pm

Depends on the plan you bought.

The modem can be used to connect to your PC so in one sense they gave you everything you need to get connected. A router for more than one PC, or a Wireless router can be extra but they did have a plan recently that gave you a wireless router in addition to the modem. This was a promotion though.

I might have a brand new, still in shrink wrap, Linksys wireless router i got from Starhub that maybe can sell. I already had one so for me is a spare.

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Mon, 09 Jul 2007 5:50 pm

Yeah this is normal. As stated it depends on the deal at the time.

I'm using a NETGEAR DG834PN which modem router and wireless all in one. Works great and you only have one piece of eqiupment on your desktop.
Easy to set up too.
Theres a couple of different models available.

I suppose with Starhub your on a cable modem so this maybe tricky to get an all in one.

Good luck

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 09 Jul 2007 6:57 pm

bigfilsing wrote:Yeah this is normal. As stated it depends on the deal at the time.

I'm using a NETGEAR DG834PN which modem router and wireless all in one. Works great and you only have one piece of eqiupment on your desktop.
Easy to set up too.
Theres a couple of different models available.

I suppose with Starhub your on a cable modem so this maybe tricky to get an all in one.

Good luck
I'm using the same modem/router as well having upgraded from the DG834 a couple of months ago. Easy-Peasy set up and as said, easy on desktop real estate as well. :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Fri, 13 Jul 2007 8:04 pm

SMS i recommend the restore utility then. Last time i did a software update to the modem it hung. ( power, network, access LED's all flashing yellow.) if you have the utility it resets back to factory default.
Other wise you have to find another way to dload the utility and then run it on the PC connected to the router.
Trust me you wont regret it !!!

It's here >http://kbserver.netgear.com/release_notes/d102417.asp

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 13 Jul 2007 8:52 pm

Thanks. I downloaded the zipped version when I first installed the modem/router. did the same with the old 834 as well. I call it "Just in Case".

Usually just park it in the installation folder afterwards if/until I need it. :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers