Singapore Expats

Iphone: has anyone had one in hands?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
luxiana
Regular
Regular

Iphone: has anyone had one in hands?

Post by luxiana » Mon, 02 Jul 2007 4:38 am

hello,

I need to find a new handphone. I was thinking of getting a Iphone.
I loved the presentation made by the cEO of apple a couple of months ago.
the design is nice also.

is there a user here that can tell me how good it is??

(or point me in the direction of a blog in Singapore where there is a review of the phone)

thanks
my website: free online game

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Iphone: has anyone had one in hands?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 02 Jul 2007 11:26 pm

luxiana.com wrote:hello,

I need to find a new handphone. I was thinking of getting a Iphone.
I loved the presentation made by the cEO of apple a couple of months ago.
the design is nice also.

is there a user here that can tell me how good it is??

(or point me in the direction of a blog in Singapore where there is a review of the phone)

thanks
Wont be released here for a year. Anyways, what get a phone who's specs are more than a year behind nokia's. Damn slow internet connection. 2G only. Supposedly stylish but that's about the size of it. Will end up like the iPod - people giving them away as door prizes and giveaways.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 02 Jul 2007 11:39 pm

I think. Therefore, I-Phone?

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Tue, 03 Jul 2007 12:55 am

Yeah the GSM ( 3 G ) version wont be out for a while. So dont get caught out by buying on ebay!!!

Why the USA has to have it's own cellular system is beyond me :shock:
I suppose it can go in the bin alongside the imperial measurement system.
:D

Evan_SIN

Post by Evan_SIN » Thu, 05 Jul 2007 12:50 am

Yep, but apparently the current USA models can be firmware upgraded to support G3/UMTS but only heard that from sombody so not sure if its true or not.
E

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 06 Jul 2007 10:06 am

bigfilsing wrote:Yeah the GSM ( 3 G ) version wont be out for a while. So dont get caught out by buying on ebay!!!

Just like Japan yeah?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 06 Jul 2007 2:03 pm

bigfilsing wrote:Yeah the GSM ( 3 G ) version wont be out for a while. So dont get caught out by buying on ebay!!!

Actually, there is a very good reason for it. Cellular phones started fairly early in the US. Large amounts of money were spent on infrastructure, which, as we know today, is not the way the rest of the world went. Can't change overnight but the US will eventually have the same thing as the rest of the world.

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Sun, 08 Jul 2007 8:23 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:

Actually, there is a very good reason for it. Cellular phones started fairly early in the US. Large amounts of money were spent on infrastructure, which, as we know today, is not the way the rest of the world went. Can't change overnight but the US will eventually have the same thing as the rest of the world.
Mmmh i think you'll find USA was one of the last places to go cellular.
Europe was on the ATF netowrks way before and i believe Germany went GSM late 92 ( 15 years ago) Of course they didn;t have the vast land mass to cover like the states.
Didn;t USA go CDMA like Japan in certain areas for a while ??
And when the states went GSM they went 1900 eating into the comfort zone of what is safe to use. Surprising in " the land of the law suit"

Anyways i'd like to see a world wide standard for everything. Naive i know but we can hope. :D

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Sun, 08 Jul 2007 9:29 pm

bigfilsing wrote:Mmmh i think you'll find USA was one of the last places to go cellular. ... Didn;t USA go CDMA like Japan in certain areas for a while ??
And when the states went GSM they went 1900 eating into the comfort zone of what is safe to use. Surprising in " the land of the law suit"
:???:

AT&T invented the cellphone and AMPS/TACS (1G) was deployed starting 1983, right up there with 1G pioneer NMT. Qualcomm, an American company, invented CDMA / IS-95 in 1995. The original CDMA (2G) was never used in Japan, although CDMA2000 (3G) is now used there. The US uses weird GSM frequencies because the standard 900/1800 Mhz were already reserved and the FCC didn't want to release them for GSM.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sun, 08 Jul 2007 10:07 pm

bigfilsing wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:

Mmmh i think you'll find USA was one of the last places to go cellular.
Europe was on the ATF netowrks way before and i believe Germany went GSM late 92 ( 15 years ago) Of course they didn;t have the vast land mass to cover like the states.
Didn;t USA go CDMA like Japan in certain areas for a while ??

Anyways i'd like to see a world wide standard for everything. Naive i know but we can hope. :D
A little like the UK and their driving I guess! Although I don't believe they have the funds, or intelligence in parliament to convert to the same side as the rest of the world :P How :oops: can it get! Wait a minute, lets ask Mr Bush what he thinks ha! ha! ha! :P :lol:

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Mon, 09 Jul 2007 5:55 pm

Inteligence in parliment...good point.
Some of the things that go on there are truely beyond belief and i've seen some crackers in the UK over the year ( thatchers son doing arms deals springs to mind)

Has anyone else noticed the Bush 180 degree turn around on the envoiroment or was it just me. The man is an idiot.

Thanks for the update on the cellular tech. I never realised it went back that far JP

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Mon, 09 Jul 2007 5:58 pm

So surprised JP that i did some research

Mr Martin Cooper 1973 !! Motorola, Bell Labs ( later AT&T)

So why the bloody heel are we still paying a fortune for cell phones :mad:

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Mon, 09 Jul 2007 6:44 pm

bigfilsing wrote:Inteligence in parliment...good point.
Some of the things that go on there are truely beyond belief and i've seen some crackers in the UK over the year ( thatchers son doing arms deals springs to mind)
When your mother is the prime minister ability counts for nothing, like a few others whose parents or relatives hold positions of power: it ain't what you know it's who you know - as usual. :x :roll:

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Tue, 10 Jul 2007 9:33 pm

bigfilsing wrote:So surprised JP that i did some research

Mr Martin Cooper 1973 !! Motorola, Bell Labs ( later AT&T)

So why the bloody heel are we still paying a fortune for cell phones :mad:
Are we? Your basic Nokia 1110 goes for S$58 and cheap Chinese knockoffs are even less. Nobody's forcing you to get the latest S$1000 Sonokiaerissonpple iN69RAZRTreoBlackberryphone with integrated 3G toaster and Bluetooth oven...
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague