Singapore Expats

Using US Electronics in Singapore

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Domino

Using US Electronics in Singapore

Post by Domino » Mon, 21 May 2007 5:31 am

I'm moving from the US to Singapore this summer and I need to know what appliances/electronics work well in Singapore if I buy transformers for them. I've heard that the transformers are a waste of time and that I should just buy new stuff. Is this true?
We are also considering buying a new TV in Singapore and bringing it back to the US when we move back. Does anyone know if it will work in the US?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 21 May 2007 11:36 am

Most TV sold in Singapore are Multi-system and multi-voltage. The voltage is usually sent by a small dipswitch on the back somewhere. Usually the multi-systems can handle up to around 21 systems.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

jpatokal

Re: Using US Electronics in Singapore

Post by jpatokal » Tue, 22 May 2007 5:08 pm

Domino wrote:I'm moving from the US to Singapore this summer and I need to know what appliances/electronics work well in Singapore if I buy transformers for them. I've heard that the transformers are a waste of time and that I should just buy new stuff. Is this true?
Yes and no. "Yes", in the sense that for most devices using transformers is expensive, energy-consuming, dangerous or all of the above. This applies particularly for larger house appliances (washing machines, fridges, whatever). But also "no", because as SE says, most modern electronics gear either handles 100-240V right off the bat (check the label in the back) or has a manual switch for selecting the right voltage.
We are also considering buying a new TV in Singapore and bringing it back to the US when we move back. Does anyone know if it will work in the US?
Singapore uses PAL, the US uses NTSC, so you'll need to ensure it's a multi-system TV.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

Domino

Post by Domino » Thu, 24 May 2007 11:54 pm

Thanks for all the great info.
What about smaller appliances and electronics such as computer printers, fans, computer scanners? Do you know if people use them successfully with transformers? :)

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Fri, 25 May 2007 3:10 pm

Domino wrote:Thanks for all the great info.
What about smaller appliances and electronics such as computer printers, fans, computer scanners? Do you know if people use them successfully with transformers? :)
You can, but you probably shouldn't. For example, I've got a great little printer-copier-scanner (Brother DCP-115C) sitting on my desk that cost me under $150 last year. For that price, it'd be a little difficult to find a transformer I'd trust to not blow up on me, never mind the extra electricity bills.

Domino

Post by Domino » Tue, 29 May 2007 11:53 am

:shock: I'm not much into explosions so I think I'll look for new appliances in Singapore.

Thanks!

mikek

Post by mikek » Sat, 09 Jun 2007 6:37 pm

Does anyone know if it's possible to purchase new 220V AC adapters for US electronics?

I have a few pieces of equipment that I had to bring from the US -- most notable is my VOIP modem that carries my US phone number with me. This allows our friends to call us as if it's a local US phone call (and we don't have to tell everyone a new phone #).

It is techncally simple to create a 220V AC to DC adapter, since most electronics simply require a DC input. The problem is that there are so many varieties, not sure if there's a market for a broad spectrum of electronics.

Worst case I can buy a transformer... If so, should I just go to SimLim to buy some transformers?

Mike

Marlowe

Post by Marlowe » Sat, 09 Jun 2007 9:16 pm

eh, i had a US-pc that i used in australia for 2.5 years using a transformer & it was fine. electricity in singapore is very very stable, no surges, etc., so imho it would be fine. but yeah, most pc's now have ability to switch to 240 v, but a lot of monitors and periperals don't. i'd just buy a transformer here and bring along a US-power strip and you can plug a few things into it. just be sure to buy the more expensive, high-amp one and i think it'll be all good. or, it was for me at least.

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Sat, 09 Jun 2007 9:42 pm

mikek wrote:Does anyone know if it's possible to purchase new 220V AC adapters for US electronics?
Depends(tm). There are lots of universal adaptor thingies that convert 220V AC into 5~20V DC with both polarities and half a dozen plug types, but plugs come in a bewildering variety of types. But there's not much to lose, just take your modem with you and see if the wizards at Sim Lim can come up with a replacement adapter.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 10 Jun 2007 5:57 am

Also check Challenger. They have quite a selection of adapters.

mikek

Post by mikek » Sun, 10 Jun 2007 7:16 am

Thanks for the quick replies.

I just received my Air Shipment with a few electronics. I'll go shopping today and see what I can find.

Mike

zhoumulian

What about Macs?

Post by zhoumulian » Thu, 12 Jul 2007 6:48 am

I saw you mentioned computer printers/scanners, but has anyone brought their laptop, specifically a Mac, over and had any problems? I'll only be there for 5-6 months (study abroad) and don't want to buy a new one.

audiojunky
Chatter
Chatter

Re: What about Macs?

Post by audiojunky » Thu, 12 Jul 2007 10:39 am

zhoumulian wrote:I saw you mentioned computer printers/scanners, but has anyone brought their laptop, specifically a Mac, over and had any problems? I'll only be there for 5-6 months (study abroad) and don't want to buy a new one.
I have an iMac and a MacBook which I purchased from the US. The MacBook works perfectly here since it can support 240 - 110V; 50Hz/60hz. For the iMac, I need to get a transformer - haven't done that yet.

One thing to keep in mind is that it's not just a matter of converting 220-110v and vice versa but also keep the 50/60 hz thing in mind. This is not that important for certain electronic items such as printer, computer etc. But they can potentially make a marginal difference in the case of hi-end audio gear, hi-end TVs etc. Of course if you're not an audiophile, vidiophile then you'll be fine.