Singapore Expats

Just moved here

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
dutch_dan

Just moved here

Post by dutch_dan » Thu, 07 Jun 2007 3:50 pm

hi all,

Just moved here from London a few days ago and joined this forum in hope to meet some new people.

Let me intro myself. 26/m, orginally from holland and have lived in the UK for the past 8 years.

So, what do people do for fun around here? I have kinda cottoned on to the fact that its RIDICULOUSLY hot here and that other than sports, nothing really happens outside. Having said that, I am quite anxious to play soccer (either 11 or 5-a-side), so if anyone knows any teams/clubs, please let me know.

I see that there's a Wed and Fri drinking club, which is always a good thing and I should be joining that sooner rather than later.

So, please feel free to get in touch and we can meet up! PM or email me at [email protected]

Thanks guys! can't wait to meet everyone!

astr
Regular
Regular

Post by astr » Thu, 07 Jun 2007 4:00 pm

ah...dont u worry. ul soon turn warm blooded. i love d weather here. chk out d entertainment n sports forum for ya sports interests.

bienvenue... :P

Beauty

Post by Beauty » Thu, 07 Jun 2007 5:38 pm

deleted
Last edited by Beauty on Thu, 24 Jan 2008 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thanks_to_ac

Post by thanks_to_ac » Thu, 07 Jun 2007 9:30 pm

hey dan

lol yeah i guess not much else goes on outdoors other than sports...
but the botanic gardens is a nice lazy place to chill out.. or run.

yeah i've been keen to play some soccer too (with my other sports gear in aus...) check out the football forum... i think it's under entertainment

thanks_to_ac

Post by thanks_to_ac » Thu, 07 Jun 2007 9:37 pm

hi, where are you learning mandarin?
i'm looking at taking a course... i found one place at orchard rd..http://ikoma.com.sg/mandarin/eg/sce.htm i'm not sure if there's any around like raffles place

(lol and i was briefly learning russian (mainly all the bad words) from my russian friend in aus)

haha i'm staying in holland as well.. i was wondering where all the holland expats are on this forum

dutch_dan

Post by dutch_dan » Fri, 08 Jun 2007 10:27 am

So is Holland Village the place to live? I did have a look around there the other day. I think the bar was called Walla Walla's or something. Quite a good place to chill.

Haven't found my permanent place just yet. Currently living in Bishan, which is a bit far out so will be looking to move out of there soon. Anyone know of any places that are available and the best way to find a place? I am using ..com which is proving quite useful.

I am also very keen to learn chinese. No point being here without learning the language! Think we should all take a course together! So, thanks_to_ac, where are you doing your course?

Beauty

Post by Beauty » Fri, 08 Jun 2007 5:34 pm

Yeh...Holland V is nice n very quiet...

to find a place to live in Singapore is not dif..
depends which area you are working....
Try one of those property agents( can find them everywhere)..but sometimes they can be quiet annoying...so be carefull..better to state all yr requirements, like area, yr budget and also watch out for surrounding area (if any construction nearby-can get mad because of noise)..

reg thanks_to_as comments on rus language..u a right- we have long list of bad words..like nowhere in the world.. :D
i attend a chiness course at raffles place in fact...not very effective but not too bad also ...can PM or e-mail details who are interested...only once a week..beginning level(spoken level)..they have intake every month..
Last edited by Beauty on Thu, 24 Jan 2008 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thanks_to_ac

Post by thanks_to_ac » Fri, 08 Jun 2007 10:13 pm

hey dan,

i'm not actually doing a course at the moment... i'm looking around for a suitable course... i think the link i listed in my previous message might be inconvenient for me... as it's in orchard...
so maybe looking at something that's close to raffles place or somewhere else in the city area...

haha sure that would be fun .. doing a course together ... i'll let u know when i find a course i want to take... i'll pm u my contact.

dutchdays

Post by dutchdays » Sat, 09 Jun 2007 1:44 am

Actually, there are a lot of Dutch people studying, working or living in Singapore. I am quite surprised about that.

On the Queen's Day, they had a party in Harry's Bar. You found the Orange block the street. haha....I am sure you will love the place, love the Asian hospitalities gradually.

Welkom jongen! hahaha