Singapore Expats

Starhub, Singnet or M1?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
tomato_gal

Post by tomato_gal » Fri, 12 Jan 2007 8:07 am

jpatokal wrote: I wouldn't recommend Sim Lim though, unless you can take a hardcore geek along to do the haggling and nego.
Do you have any recommended place to go for IT stuff?

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Sun, 14 Jan 2007 3:07 pm

tomato_gal wrote:
jpatokal wrote: I wouldn't recommend Sim Lim though, unless you can take a hardcore geek along to do the haggling and nego.
Do you have any recommended place to go for IT stuff?
Funan IT is more friendly. Challenger on their top floor is easy and reliable, but not the cheapest.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

hello_20

broadband

Post by hello_20 » Sun, 14 Jan 2007 8:09 pm

Hi there,

where are you staying? If you plan to go to Funan, I can point you to some of the shops that you will get value for your purchases:

Hwa Guan (5th floor)
Info Com (4th floor)
PK computers (4th floor)

They are generally cheaper than challenger.

Cheers.

tomato_gal

Re: broadband

Post by tomato_gal » Mon, 15 Jan 2007 8:21 am

hello_20 wrote:Hi there,

where are you staying? If you plan to go to Funan, I can point you to some of the shops that you will get value for your purchases:

Hwa Guan (5th floor)
Info Com (4th floor)
PK computers (4th floor)

They are generally cheaper than challenger.

Cheers.
Oh, Thanks for the information.
I will try to go there when i am at spore. :D

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Mon, 15 Jan 2007 12:06 pm

Just a question guys ?? as i've never used a Star hub cable modem. Can you buy third party ones??? I thought you had to use the one provided by starhub! No ?

babykasim
Chatter
Chatter

Post by babykasim » Wed, 06 Jun 2007 10:36 am

hi ..

i have some questions abt internet connection as well.

i am thinking of signing up with SingNet as they're having a promotion
3MBps unlimited plan with wireless connection for $43.95 .

its definitely cheaper than starhub maxOnline which is around $58.80
but my question is will the speed be enough as 2 people will be using it.

i guess its mainly for surfing the net, chatting, and watching movie online

thanks!! :)

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Asian_Geekette » Wed, 06 Jun 2007 3:15 pm

babykasim wrote:hi ..

i have some questions abt internet connection as well.

i am thinking of signing up with SingNet as they're having a promotion
3MBps unlimited plan with wireless connection for $43.95 .

its definitely cheaper than starhub maxOnline which is around $58.80
but my question is will the speed be enough as 2 people will be using it.

i guess its mainly for surfing the net, chatting, and watching movie online

thanks!! :)
babykasim,

Just some things to think about:
1. With a wireless LAN, bandwidth is shared.
2. If both are downloading graphic-intensive websites and are watching streaming media over the net and doing file-sharing via a chat program, then you'll experience congestion.
It all boils down on the type of applications that you'll both be using at the same time...
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Wed, 06 Jun 2007 7:51 pm

Asian_Geekette wrote:Just some things to think about:
It's also shared with cable or ADSL. Only really expensive dedicated leased lines are not shared.

The main reason to be wary of wireless is that the signal may be poor in your area, esp. if there's bad weather, a truck parked out front etc. Check out the signal strength before you plunge, eg. NetStumbler is very handy for this.

Jeppo
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Jeppo » Thu, 07 Jun 2007 10:08 am

jp,

They're talking about a wireless LAN, which would mean the access point would be in the houuse/unit so a truck parked outside would not be between the access point and the computer, unless you have trucks parked in your living room :lol: :shock:

babykasim
Chatter
Chatter

Post by babykasim » Thu, 07 Jun 2007 11:42 am

thanks for all the input!!

cheers..

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Thu, 07 Jun 2007 8:31 pm

if you're referring to Home Wireless Surf with Singtel, this just means that you have an ordinary Singtel Broadband setup and Singtel installs a local wireless router for you on top. Speed is thus limited by the Singtel Broadband service.

But if you're referring to Wireless@SG by Singtel, this means that you're just sharing a free, public WLAN, and everything I said about coverage, trucks and bad weather does apply.

Jeppo
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Jeppo » Fri, 08 Jun 2007 8:33 am

Actually wireless@sg is a WAN, and since they were talking about a LAN that would exclude it. Also they were talking about a 3Mbps plan which is definitely the home wireless service since the wireless@sg only goes up tp 1Mbps if you pay for it.

Teema

Post by Teema » Mon, 09 Jul 2007 9:27 pm

Asian_Geekette wrote: Just some things to think about:
If you're going with a g network the LAN bandwidth would be much higher than the internet bandwidth already, so this is general not a problem at all.

Weak signals and interference can be significant problems though.

Dobski
Regular
Regular

Post by Dobski » Wed, 11 Jul 2007 9:26 pm

filsing
Just a question guys ?? as i've never used a Star hub cable modem. Can you buy third party ones??? I thought you had to use the one provided by starhub! No ?
I got the 100meg package which needs a modem that can bundle multiple lines.
They offer the motorola SB6100 free with a new contract.
As I'm mid contract, I had to buy it. I couldn't find one anywhere to buy privatley, so I ended up going to them anyway !
Also, they had to do some config at their end to enable the line bundling so they needed the MAC or whatever of the modem.

Not sure how they would have reacted if I asked them to turn on the 100meg and that I had my own modem - only a matter of time before the modems start to appear on eBay.

also, I think they provide a modem with any package(apart from flexisurf), so unless you have a magic modem that makes your 2meg connection into a 3 meg :lol: , I guess you might as well use the one they provide.

stupid thing is - the 6100 doesn't have a phone adapter - so I have to split the cable from the wall into the 6100 and to the 'old' modem and then feed the phone from the 'old' modem !!!!

PhantomX

Post by PhantomX » Thu, 12 Jul 2007 12:00 am

Dobski wrote:filsing
I got the 100meg package which needs a modem that can bundle multiple lines.
They offer the motorola SB6100 free with a new contract.
As I'm mid contract, I had to buy it. I couldn't find one anywhere to buy privatley, so I ended up going to them anyway !
Also, they had to do some config at their end to enable the line bundling so they needed the MAC or whatever of the modem.

Not sure how they would have reacted if I asked them to turn on the 100meg and that I had my own modem - only a matter of time before the modems start to appear on eBay.

also, I think they provide a modem with any package(apart from flexisurf), so unless you have a magic modem that makes your 2meg connection into a 3 meg :lol: , I guess you might as well use the one they provide.

stupid thing is - the 6100 doesn't have a phone adapter - so I have to split the cable from the wall into the 6100 and to the 'old' modem and then feed the phone from the 'old' modem !!!!

Truth be told, there are many who rue the day that switched from Singtel to Starhub whether its on their internet or mobile phone plan!
X