Singapore Expats

Laser printer repairs

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
David91

Laser printer repairs

Post by David91 » Sun, 25 Feb 2007 1:42 pm

Hi everyone

The paper feed train on my relatively old Epson EPL-5900L just jammed. :x

My local PC repair guy says it is always cheaper to buy a new printer. Apparently, no one bothers to repair them these days. This is annoying because I still have quite a lot left in the somewhat expensive toner cartridge. :(

All comments and advice will be gratefully received.
Writing is fun

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Laser printer repairs

Post by ksl » Sun, 25 Feb 2007 5:23 pm

David91 wrote:Hi everyone

The paper feed train on my relatively old Epson EPL-5900L just jammed. :x

My local PC repair guy says it is always cheaper to buy a new printer. Apparently, no one bothers to repair them these days. This is annoying because I still have quite a lot left in the somewhat expensive toner cartridge. :(

All comments and advice will be gratefully received.
Hi David,

This should be a very straightforward job, it may even explain in the manual how to free the paperfeed train, if you don't have the manual I think you can download it here.

Try lifting the from cover and see if you can free the paper, that's jammed the feed.

Tech Tips
Still have a problem, I can take a look at it for you.

saint73
Chatter
Chatter

Post by saint73 » Sun, 25 Feb 2007 6:11 pm

:D :roll: I have bought HP OFFICEJET 5610 printer 2mth ago.. :lol:
:wink: Function with SCAN, COPY, FAX as very useful feature...can receive fax, send fax, scan document ... :mrgreen:

WINDOW XP also have the fax console prg as able to send fax, receive fax...unless you able to connect it.... 8-)

My old ESPSON C50 printer still work well and given to my nephew... :D

I have always maintain my printer and PC as can used up to 8 yrs without any damage... :wink:

If the printer is spoil as need repair it ,dnt thk worth it...unless you able to repair your ownself... :D

David91

Post by David91 » Sun, 25 Feb 2007 6:42 pm

Hi KSL

Thanks for the kind offer. I suspect it's the transmission system from the motor to the train. The printer accepted the job, chewed thoughtfully on the top page in the feeder, scoring the paper heavily, and then stopped working without taking up any of that paper. There is no paper caught up anywhere inside the machine that I can see. The noise suggests that one of the the cogs has jammed.

I always hesitate to take a screwdriver to something electrical for the first time without some kind of schematic to understand how the thing is supposed to work and how you are supposed to get at the relevant bits. If you're really that good with machinery, I would appreciate you taking it to bits for me and, assuming my diagnosis to be correct, freeing the cog. PM me and I'll bring it over with the promise of small to medium sums of currency changing hands if you can get the :mad: thing to work.

David
Writing is fun

saint73
Chatter
Chatter

Post by saint73 » Sun, 25 Feb 2007 6:56 pm

David91 wrote:Hi KSL

I would appreciate you taking it to bits for me and, assuming my diagnosis to be correct, freeing the cog. PM me and I'll bring it over with the promise of small to medium sums of currency changing hands if you can get the :mad: thing to work.

David
:roll: KSL, is a retired consultant, dnt thk he will do for you... troubleshooting printer is nt juz message can solve it...need to hand on also... :roll: :wink:
As he is veri RICH, nt shortage of $$$$ :mrgreen:

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Mon, 26 Feb 2007 12:18 am

David this printer is working from the USB isn't it!

Just check! My Computer and select Properties. Now click the device manager tab (Windows 2000 / XP users click Hardware tab then select Device Manager). Displayed are the contents of your computer. and see if there is any yellow exclamation mark.

Make sure the printer is on! If what you say about it not taking the paper, but grabbed it, seems there could be a communication error, between the USB and the printer. It would be easier for me to come out to you, and see the printer connected, if there is a yellow exclamation mark in device manager. I don't really suspect the cog to be jammed for no real reason.

Although it's a process of elimination, to get to the fault. First we need to know, if there is full communication, between USB port and printer. and check that the driver is still loading.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Mon, 26 Feb 2007 12:52 am

saint73 wrote:
David91 wrote:Hi KSL

I would appreciate you taking it to bits for me and, assuming my diagnosis to be correct, freeing the cog. PM me and I'll bring it over with the promise of small to medium sums of currency changing hands if you can get the :mad: thing to work.

David
:roll: KSL, is a retired consultant, dnt thk he will do for you... troubleshooting printer is nt juz message can solve it...need to hand on also... :roll: :wink:
As he is veri RICH, nt shortage of $$$$ :mrgreen:
Meee! I can do anything I want, if I put my mind to it, DIY is my favourite hobby, electricals, mechanics, house decoration, you name it, and it will be done by the book.

Although my eyes are getting a bit dodgy these days :P "Very Rich"! In my heart mega rich, I'm not really materialistic enough, to chase wealth, when there are so much more, interesting things to do in life, like live for today and not worry about tomorrow. If need be, I can still wash up dishes.

The most of what i have had in life, Is already given away... My personal memories and sentimental bagage, are being disposed of, every time I visit UK, the only thing i require now is my suitcase, my health and the freedom to do what i want.

I get my satisfaction out of helping others, the best way I can, that's about it! 8-) :wink: I will of course continue to study, what i like to do, although the biggest problem is finding the time to fit it all in.

David91

Post by David91 » Mon, 26 Feb 2007 1:38 am

Hi KSL

The current situation is that, when I plug the printer in and it goes through its warm-up routine, it emits a wonderful grinding noise when it should check to see whether there is paper inside the machine. There is no paper in the machine to jam it so I assume that the gearing that is supposed to drive the paper feed is out-of-wack (to use the technical expression). Thus, when you look at the exposed gear sequence, the front gear for the paper pick-up goes through what I take to be its natural half rotation. The second exposed gear has a ring of black carbon (?) deposit on it. Now I don't know whether that is simply leaking toner or a sign of burning friction through a jam. Either way, that gear is unmoving. I can't get at the remaining gears in the drive without dismantling the photoreceptor drum assembly which, as I said above, I am not happy to do without a better understanding of how the whole drive is supposed to work.

And, "Yes", it is USB connected and there is nothing wrong with the connection—actually I'm a Mac person but the hardware configuration routine confirms the printer on the port. The driver loads to the buffer without problems.

Thanks for taking the time to give advice.

David
Writing is fun

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Mon, 26 Feb 2007 2:51 am

I guess you are right David, I don't know how long you have had the machine, although you do mention a new toner. I think one toner does around 6000 pages.

I guess you maybe right, about the black ring marks, and parts will need replacing, So it maybe wise to give them a ring at harbourfront.

Here's the details for Singapore

Epson Square @ HarbourFront 1 HarbourFront Place, #01-10, HarbourFront Tower One, Singapore 098633 Tel: 65-65865599

It would be pointless me stripping it, if parts have to be replaced.

There is the full monty on the net, manual and diagram, with parts list and numbers although that is 34 USD.

I believe it wouldn't take the service team, more than an hour to fix the problem, see if it is worth doing. or just to buy the replacement parts, for the feeder, to give you an idea of cost. Although one doesn't know the real damage until it is stripped down.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Mon, 26 Feb 2007 7:25 am

Hey David here's something for you to have a look at which might help; http://computer.howstuffworks.com/laser-printer.htm

David91

Post by David91 » Mon, 26 Feb 2007 10:53 am

Thanks for the help KSL. I'll ring Harbour Front and see what they say.

All the best everyone

David
Writing is fun

serenaflower

hi

Post by serenaflower » Wed, 06 Jun 2007 5:30 pm

Help....

Iam facing a problem...
The printer is not taking the page ,though the cartridge is new .
What can i do ?

Serena