Singapore Expats

Why so hard to find job in Singapore?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
n&a

Post by n&a » Wed, 18 Apr 2007 5:31 pm

Reading newspapers daily is also a very good way for improving english.
my friends who were preparing for management studies used to do that for better english... :D

angel_rose
Regular
Regular
Location: On earth "Values are only measured by the importance it has to you"

Post by angel_rose » Wed, 18 Apr 2007 7:55 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: They haven't had decent English Presenter since Duncan Watt retired years ago.
Are you sure????at that time i wasn't in singapore yet sms.... :D
but i know that he is the one who writing the scripts and voicing classical music programmes for Garuda Indonesia airlines...my mom is garuda frequent flyer and she used to mention his name to me long time ago...... :wink: :lol:

askmeagain

Post by askmeagain » Sat, 02 Jun 2007 11:53 pm

I don't think it is easy to find job in Singapore...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 03 Jun 2007 11:36 am

askmeagain wrote:I don't think it is easy to find job in Singapore...
With your attitude? I hope it's impossible!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

askmeagain

Post by askmeagain » Sun, 03 Jun 2007 6:54 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
I am working and satisfied.... Don’t think it is Singapore only that people can get hired. In a global village everyone has option.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 03 Jun 2007 7:19 pm

askmeagain wrote:
I am working and satisfied.... Don’t think it is Singapore only that people can get hired. In a global village everyone has option.
Then why all the negativity here on this board? Sounds like sour grapes to me.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

askmeagain

Post by askmeagain » Sun, 03 Jun 2007 7:24 pm

askmeagain wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote: With your attitude? I hope it's impossible!
Then why all the negativity here on this board? Sounds like sour grapes to me.
This is not my negativity... this is reality and my experience when I was in Singapore. I would like to share with others. If you don't like it, it is different matter.

Answers?
Regular
Regular

Post by Answers? » Sun, 03 Jun 2007 8:01 pm

askmeagain wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:[Sounds like sour grapes to me.
This is not my negativity... this is reality and my experience when I was in Singapore. I would like to share with others. If you don't like it, it is different matter.
Sounds like sour grapes to me as well.

askmeagain

Post by askmeagain » Mon, 04 Jun 2007 11:49 am

Answers? wrote:
askmeagain wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:[Sounds like sour grapes to me.
Sounds like sour grapes to me as well.
Of course TRUTH is always bitter and sour !!!

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Mon, 04 Jun 2007 12:28 pm

askmeagain wrote: This is not my negativity... this is reality and my experience when I was in Singapore. I would like to share with others. If you don't like it, it is different matter.
So what are you actually sharing here, that you failed to find a job in Singapore? OK, bad luck, and you are now blaming the country for it.

How do you think your one liner comments stating that you think it is difficult to find jobs in Singapore or that the country is racist helps other users?

How about a deep analysis why did your job hunt fail, so people could evaluate if they’re in the same situation then you were, and therefore might have trouble finding a job in Singapore. That I would call sharing.

I think this site actually has all the key information for a professional with the needed skills to find a job in Singapore. But yes it would need people to read all the stickys and posts. I never really asked a question about this subject, as it seems all relevant is already written here.

One of the key pieces of information I picked up from the posts on this site is networking, networking and more networking. Spamming CVs is waste of time. You need to go to the professional meetings and seminars in Singapore in person. That’s where you find the companies working in your area. Application with a face is much better than cv coming from hotmail address.

Where you member of any professional association back home? How about finding Singapore chapter for that same organization, join them, meet the people there. A few hundreds dollars for membership fees pays back pretty fast with your first paycheck.

I’m not saying it will be easy, and also people should be realistic. It’s not like you can always find a job in a month. A new comer in a country should be prepared to survive I’d say at least 6 months with their savings, unless you looking to work for Macdonalds.

Makan24-7
Regular
Regular

Post by Makan24-7 » Tue, 05 Jun 2007 2:28 am

Askmeagain: Quit whining and look for ways to improve your employability instead.

Singapore's arguably one of the least challenging places in the world for talented foreigners to find jobs.

In the US, supposedly the land of opportunity, you come across this phrase "Permanent US Work Authorization required" very often from the Fortune 500 to high finance to consulting. Then for the truly talented, there's the crappy H-1B work visa cap unless your home country has a special treaty to provide H1B1 or E-x visas.

Let's not even start with China where lack of Mandarin skills excludes one from most middle management positions. Forget expat terms, even 'local plus" terms are harder to come by, there's so much new local "talent" around, management's getting very savvy these days.

India? Plenty of promise but a vaunted destination for foreign talent? Errr... You tell me..

askmeagain

Post by askmeagain » Tue, 05 Jun 2007 3:24 pm

One of the key pieces of information I picked up from the posts on this site is networking, networking and more networking. Spamming CVs is waste of time. You need to go to the professional meetings and seminars in Singapore in person. That’s where you find the companies working in your area. Application with a face is much better than cv coming from hotmail address......

Well Said ProvenPracticalFlexible I agree with you.

So after all is NETWORKING. Even in the Information Age, old method "Networking" is more powerful than anything else.