Singapore Expats

Question about EPEC

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Vucog

Question about EPEC

Post by Vucog » Fri, 25 May 2007 5:31 pm

Greetings. I've been approved for an Employment Pass Eligibility Certificate. It's on its way in the mail (I used the online application), and I was planning on going to Singapore within a couple of weeks of receiving it. But unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond my control, I won't be able to go to Singapore until near the end of '07. So I was wondering, is there a time limit within which I must arrive in Singapore and use my EPEC to get a long term social visit pass? Will I be able to activate my EPEC when I arrive in Singapore in 6 months time to get a long term social visit pass? My passport is valid for 5 more years, if that's relevant. Sorry if this has been asked before or answered in a FAQ somewhere.

muratkorman
Chatter
Chatter

Post by muratkorman » Fri, 25 May 2007 5:50 pm

Why don't you just send an enquiry e-mail to MOM for your question? They are quite efficient with quick response. Within 2-3 days you will receive your reply on the situation.

I think your EPEC will be valid for 1 year from issue date. But you will still have enough time to settle with the remaining period from end of 2007.
With my kind regards

Murat Korman

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Asian_Geekette » Tue, 29 May 2007 4:41 pm

For EPEC, you're given one year to look for a job once you have your EPEC. Now, as to the question of when the time starts ticking, better contact MoM. Because if it starts from the time the EPEC was approved, then you'd only have about a few months to look for a job if you go to SG by the end of year.

Good luck!
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

Vucog

Post by Vucog » Wed, 30 May 2007 7:47 am

Thanks for the replies. I did as you said and asked MoM. They promptly replied that an EPEC has a lifespan of 2 years from the date of issue. Guess that gives me plenty of time. :)

Now I guess I'll have to figure out how to land that elusive job offer in Sing. I don't suppose being previously approved for an EPEC is any indication that I have a good chance of being approved for an EP now, is it? :)

muratkorman
Chatter
Chatter

Post by muratkorman » Wed, 30 May 2007 9:07 am

EPEC only proves that your qualifications are good enough to add value to Singapore. Approval of your EP application will depend on which company you will work for and in which position you will be entitled. If local workforce is available and can easily fit into that position, your EP application may not be granted. However, if EP application is done by a big international company, you are likely to get it.

Good luck for your job hunt.
With my kind regards

Murat Korman

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Asian_Geekette » Wed, 30 May 2007 10:15 am

muratkorman wrote: Approval of your EP application will depend on which company you will work for and in which position you will be entitled. If local workforce is available and can easily fit into that position, your EP application may not be granted. However, if EP application is done by a big international company, you are likely to get it.

Good luck for your job hunt.
Aside from whether there's a local person who can do the job you're applying for, there's also the issue of whether there's enough number of Singaporeans in the company. If there's enough local people in the company and there's no one who can do that job except you, then the EP will be approved.

A friend of mine said that there should be a ratio of 3 local people to 1 foreigner (this is based on her experience with the small local company she's been with). But don't quote me on this because I haven't seen any document that states this.

Good luck and don't give up easily!
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

Vucog

Post by Vucog » Mon, 04 Jun 2007 3:30 am

Thanks for the advice, guys. I am aware that an EPEC shouldn't be taken for granted, as I see that there are many cases where people were rejected. I certainly consider myself lucky to have been approved for one. I realize that it's going to be quite tough for me to land a job in Singapore. But one related question that I have is this - if I was to get a job offer while I was outside Singapore, could the company wanting to hire me apply for an EP while I was still outside? Or do I have to be present there? Is it possible to get "In-Principle Approval" while you're still outside and then fly in to complete the process afteward knowing that you've been approved?

muratkorman
Chatter
Chatter

Post by muratkorman » Mon, 04 Jun 2007 9:42 am

I think there is a form to be filled for EP application. I don't know if it can be done online. In my case, I filled in my particulars when I arrived and it took 3 weeks to receive my EP. You need to enter your personal information and the company takes care of the rest. A solution could be receiving the form by post (if not available electronically) and sending back the filled in forms back to Singapore.
With my kind regards

Murat Korman

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 04 Jun 2007 11:44 am

Vucog wrote:Thanks for the advice, guys. I am aware that an EPEC shouldn't be taken for granted, as I see that there are many cases where people were rejected. I certainly consider myself lucky to have been approved for one. I realize that it's going to be quite tough for me to land a job in Singapore. But one related question that I have is this - if I was to get a job offer while I was outside Singapore, could the company wanting to hire me apply for an EP while I was still outside? Or do I have to be present there? Is it possible to get "In-Principle Approval" while you're still outside and then fly in to complete the process afteward knowing that you've been approved?
MOM offers EPOnline, a service for companies that want to hire foreigners. They would enter all the relevant information, about you, about the job, about the company. It can take as little as two days for a well qualified applicant. Once approved, the company can download the AIP letter and send you a copy. You do not need to be in the country.

Even if your company files paper docs, they will receive an AIP letter in the mail at their Singapore address, which they can forward to you, or you can collect when you arrive.

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Asian_Geekette » Mon, 04 Jun 2007 4:21 pm

Vocog,

I got my In-Principle letter while I was outside Singapore. Then I flew to Singapore for the medical exams. Then flew out again since I had to do some work in another country. Then went back in to have my passport stamped with the multiple-entry visa and got my EP card too. After getting my EP, I went out again since (yes it's work again) I had to do something in another country.