Singapore Expats

Drinking Water

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Asian_Geekette » Wed, 23 May 2007 3:40 pm

huggybear wrote:
muratkorman wrote:
muratkorman wrote: Another thing is also some bottled water brands sell RO processed water and not natural drinking water. So you may still be drinking more or less the same water with paying more.
Huggy-san I also highlighted the same point. Even bottled water may not be natural. You have to read the labels to be sure.
hah. thanks muratkorman-san. yes. i hate that "bottled at source" label. what source? Johor river??
huggy,

Bottled at source makes me think of an assembly line of people getting water from the mineral spring and putting the caps on the bottles before putting a plastic seal on it. :P :lol: :cool:
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 23 May 2007 7:01 pm

As I've always said, fools and their money. Let 'em be I say. I save a bundle and drink water that tastes just as good and is actually better for you than bottled water. The quality of water from Hyflux tops the charts in purity with its process according to WHO. From old pipes? Want to talk about where / what types of piping systems are used to bottle water? Most of the bottled water here has been found to be nothing more than tap water.

Go for it guys! One of the reasons people are so sick it from trying to keep any sort of impurities away from the body. When you do that, you are setting yourselves up to constantly be susceptible to flues and all sorts of minor ailments as the body loses the ability to build up antibodies against them. Most people know that Vaccinations are nothing more than mild doses of the thing that they are vaccinating for. This helps the body to build up immunities.

Guess that's why I am almost never sick with the flu (once in 30 years). I put all kinds of crap into my system to keep it alert! Look out body here it comes! :o
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Barczar
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Barczar » Thu, 24 May 2007 10:43 am

SMS, perhaps i was unclear with my old pipes comment... what I was suggesting is that even if the bottled water I get and the water coming out of my tap was exactly the same water in terms of purities etc. I am not personally comfortable with water that has gone from a desalinisation plant through a series of public piping that goes all over singapore and eventually gets to my condo, the water is then piped through my risers to my sink via a series of old pipes and then goes through a faucet to a cup then into my body's system. Like I was say I have fixed several pinhole leaks in my codo and i didn't like the state of the piping (like i have a choice being a renter). The water that i get (don't know the source and don't really care as long as its clean and cold) is re-filtered and distilled and then sealed into a bottle until I put it into the water cooler and then to my cup and into my body's system.

But as I've had this disagreement with others on a similar thread, just because Tiger at a Hawker Stall is cheaper, it doesn't mean that I have to drink it there, when I can get that same beer in an airconditioned bar with a TV, pool table, women etc albeit at a premium. Same beer at both places, as no matter what it still tastes like piss, but having it serves in a frosted cold mug indoors, I'll pay a premium for that.

I don't mind paying a premium for something I perceive as being better quality and convenient....but like I said before, I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to water, food, entertainment, travel...well pretty much anything... :D
If you want to play with the Big Dogs you can't pee like a Puppy!

keinicke

Post by keinicke » Mon, 28 May 2007 12:10 am

SMT (sunday...),

We two are more alike than I may be confortable with!

Though as much as I try to eat the dirtiest streetfood, water etc. where ever my frequent travels take me I somehow still get the flu much more often than you. Last one was a few weeks back, but not lasting more than a few days though ;)

Anyways ever tried tap water in say India or streetfood for that matter???
I usually try to avoid it those kinda places ;)

On the bottled versus tap water spot on it may be exact same thing similar to the beers at hawker vs. a/c western style pub.

If bying bottled I'd make sure to get it from a reputed source like some nice cold mountain in remote new zealand or somethin'!!
Life's a bonus isn't it?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 28 May 2007 12:45 am

keinicke,

That's not quite what I meant when it comes to deliberately sabo'ing my system. I'm not going to deliberately put polluted water into my system. But I will generally eat most anything if I see others eating it without ill effect. Water known to be polluted or lacking proper filtration I would also boil or at least use tablets to kill most of the impurities. I would suspect that I have had the flu on occasion but because of the deliberately high state I keep my immune system, it just bounces off with little damage (might feel tired for 12 hours - but I've felt worse with a normal hangover! :)

If you are only down but not out for only 2 or 3 days it sounds like your system is been primed pretty good as well!

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

muratkorman
Chatter
Chatter

Post by muratkorman » Tue, 29 May 2007 11:03 am

I also believe that giving your immune system a chance to fight with unhygienic conditions will improve its strength, but I prefer not to do it with water. Not taking medicine for small things can be a good start. I especially don't understand people taking medicine like candies for even a headache. :?
With my kind regards

Murat Korman

huggybear
Chatter
Chatter

Post by huggybear » Tue, 29 May 2007 11:16 am

Drinking tap water from India? you'd have to be crazy. I like street food as much as the next person. But i try to buy from reputable vendors and try to eat cooked food (i.e. not like raw meat). I look for long lines ...

Don't know about you but i would prefer not to introduce tapeworms / parasites into my system. If an upset stomach is all you've gotten then good on'ya. But There are other more serious things that are better off your immune system not having to face. Such as Jaundice, Cholera, Malaria, Botulism.