Singapore Expats

The reality of being an SQ GAL

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Chatter
Chatter

Post by 12345 » Sun, 27 May 2007 12:00 am

vix wrote:aiya, small things cry baby like big deal. a lot of these a quite common sense, but nowadays, airlines everywhere dun teach properly, or explain:

makeup is important coz it is part of the "brand". actually the idea is to let the cabin section able to see you. if u join hotels, or beauty companies, same requirements also or else why put makeup?!

serve beverages/ drinks first or later depends on the capacity. if a lot of pax, it makes sense to serve together. most airlines are quite flexible coz u want to clear the gallies mah! child meals are easier coz u then ask parents if they want to serve later while they fed the babies - sure score points one ...

saftey videos is so that in case anything happens, u can't sue the airlines u din know. i think it came from uS, or Uk but then all airlines follow. also airlines come from army so a lot of rules are quite military

these dez most FA in many airlines forgot that key to their jobs is safety. my opinion is service comes second but u wan 2 make sure noone gets hurt. stowing ur luggage is 1 very impt pt, so is puttin seat belts la

if got problems, why not discuss internally? put on internet hear a bit here n there sometimes also blurr coz there r fakes
U wearing orange kebaya??? U sound so senior... :lol:

vix

Post by vix » Mon, 28 May 2007 10:00 am

r u sure! I'm in my 20s n not wif SQ now .... :)

biscotti_girl

Post by biscotti_girl » Tue, 29 May 2007 5:34 am

Before the interview, u were excited. During the interview, u were anxious. Once you are accepted, u were overhelmed! This is the common reaction from all people scheduling for training @ training centre. Sometime I wondered why some of us (in the cabin crew circle) like to lament so much about their job when they are actually having one of the most highly-regarded and well-paid occputation in SG.

All of us are trained PROFESSIONALLY and ADEQUATELY during the months whilst in training centre. We are clearly aware of the duties we are suppose to perform whenever we are assigned a certain work position. The reality is, When we do a mistake, we try all sort of ways to 'cover' it. We will not admit it immediately. This is the flaw that most of us have. If we could admit our mistakes instanteously, others will repect your honesty and your sense of responsibilities! I believe all of us were 'prempt' beforehand about the 'types of colleagues' we will be going to meet onboard. So why be so harsh on yourself when you already knew all these? Relax, take a deep breathe and work it off!

I would like to quote the lady who nick is 'SIA cabin crew gal'. No offend to this. I understand that you are pretty new to the airline since you mentioned about your '5th solo on this B777-300er a/c. All new crews are meant to learn more and work harder. Nothing is fair in this world. You slog now but you enjoy the fruits of your labor later! Why do you have to feel so uptight and frustrated when you can avoid all of those? I once operate a flight with this ranking crew and she was very harsh towards me too. I believe i must have done something incorrect but she refused to tell me. I was the most junior in the flight that day. At that point of time, I felt demoralised and full of anguish towards her. However, I told myself that once the a/c door opens (when we landed in singapore), I would not see this person again after the flight. I left my anguish and unhappiness behind. Eventually, this will lightens up your mood and you would not feel that 'unjustice' anymore! This is my advise to you.

Cabin crew life is so must easier than any 9-5 jobs and yet some of us are still not satisfied. Remember, for every cabin crew employed, there are a hundred (or even more now) hopefuls who were eliminated during the process of interview. I'm not trying to imply that this is a saint's job but its not bad either right? So be thankful and be mindful about what we say and do. Think about it, you get to enjoy the sight-seeings in exotic countries, catching a football match in london, skiing during winter, lunching @ Lyon_Paris, chilling out @ some Hongkong cafe, shop till you drop @ VS/Abercrombie/Forever21/Old Navy and u named it. However, before you get to enjoy all those, you need to put in your 101% attention and energy for your passengers during the X hours of flight. At the end of the day, you will be laughing at yourself for being rigid and silly! Cleaning up the lavatories more than your fellow colleagues is no big deal after all!

Despite many a times, I hear VE- remarks on the cabin crews, I am, nevertheless, still proud of myself and my company. Remember the pledge that you recite every morning....

Lastly, You can be slow but you can never be lazy. You can be chirpy but never be b*itchy!

p.s Survival tips to a better well-being

Good luck!

Alley Cat

Just a question..

Post by Alley Cat » Tue, 29 May 2007 10:36 am

biscotti_girl wrote:I once operate a flight with this ranking crew and she was very harsh towards me too. I believe i must have done something incorrect but she refused to tell me.
Hey biscotti girl, im just wondering, are you not allowed to ask where you went wrong? I mean, how did you learn then? Is it a norm not to ask for feedback? Just curious..

=)

sQ-StEwaRd-ShazNi
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Just a question..

Post by sQ-StEwaRd-ShazNi » Tue, 29 May 2007 2:04 pm

Alley Cat wrote:
biscotti_girl wrote:I once operate a flight with this ranking crew and she was very harsh towards me too. I believe i must have done something incorrect but she refused to tell me.
Hey biscotti girl, im just wondering, are you not allowed to ask where you went wrong? I mean, how did you learn then? Is it a norm not to ask for feedback? Just curious..

=)
Some people won't tell because they don't want to spoonfeed you..IMO,if I was a higher ranking crew,I would have set a good example for the juniors because as a senior you should behave like a senior not like an idiot.

To SIA Cabin Crew Gal,you will get your reward one day for enduring all this shit..Good luck to you and all the best!!

bLiSs-LiCioUs
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bLiSs-LiCioUs » Tue, 29 May 2007 2:50 pm

the reward is to be like a senior and do what they experienced to the juniors then??? noooooo plsssss...... :D

sQ-StEwaRd-ShazNi
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sQ-StEwaRd-ShazNi » Tue, 29 May 2007 3:22 pm

bLiSs-LiCioUs wrote:the reward is to be like a senior and do what they experienced to the juniors then??? noooooo plsssss...... :D

Noooooooooooooo!!That's not what I meant!! :lol: :lol:..What I meant was their patience and hard work will pay off by promotion to the next rank..If you are an evil person you will do the above mentioned..Lol :wink:

Alley Cat

Post by Alley Cat » Tue, 29 May 2007 7:01 pm

sQ-StEwaRd-ShazNi wrote:
Some people won't tell because they don't want to spoonfeed you..IMO,if I was a higher ranking crew,I would have set a good example for the juniors because as a senior you should behave like a senior not like an idiot.

To SIA Cabin Crew Gal,you will get your reward one day for enduring all this shit..Good luck to you and all the best!!
I guess its tough on seniors, as well, since they have to face Juniors who risk the reputation of SIA. it must be tiring and whats worse, they are unappreciated.

However, perhaps its just me, but i wouldn't say its spoonfeed. Its up to the individual to let it fly over her head, or learn from it. So why make that decision for them?

I think what is most important is that the junior does not make the same mistake again. Can u imagine, just because of not "spoonfeeding" the Junior makes the same mistake the whole time looking like the idiot. or at least that is what i gather from biscotti gal. And getting bad vibes for something she doesnt know why.

Its like a men from mars women from venus problem, nobody can understand each other.. I dunno, just my thoughts...

No hard feelings yea!

sQ-StEwaRd-ShazNi
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sQ-StEwaRd-ShazNi » Tue, 29 May 2007 7:45 pm

From what I know,you cannot be selfish,you do it for you and the team..There is no I in TEAM..When you do TEAM FLYING,you have to work as a team..Nothing comes free in this world..Not even RESPECT..We have to earn respect by ourselves..Well life is about making choices.:)

Secondly,if you are so frustrated about being zapped here and there,then you should think about what your senior crew would feel.If he or she doesn't make sure you do your duties correctly,he or she would definitely be zapped by either the CS/CSS or IFS..I mean it's their job to teach stuff you do not understand right?Don't be so sad,think positively and face it that I made a mistake and I would not repeat it again!But make sure you don't repeat it otherwise you are lying to yourself..:wink:

To conclude,everyone has a part to play and in this case you as a FSS(Junior Crew) would have to play your part in fulfilling a task ahead of you without mistakes..:D

Once you've made a mistake,learn from it,correct it and do not repeat it..No hard feelings to SIA Cabin Crew Gal or any other crew who is reading this..I wish you guys the best of luck!!

Happy Landings,
Shazni. :) :)

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Tue, 29 May 2007 8:20 pm

Seniors should tell those they are in charge of what their mistakes are.
Who do you know who remembers everything they were taught or doesn't make mistakes? The problem with the seniors may be that they see so many trainess but don't get anything extra in their pay-checks for taking on the extra task of having to watch newbies.

biscotti_girl

Post by biscotti_girl » Wed, 30 May 2007 2:07 am

Alley Cat wrote:

=)
Hi Alley Cat,

To ur que, yes, u may. however i guess she was jus one odd person who refused to teach. =)

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Wed, 30 May 2007 6:14 am

biscotti_girl wrote: i guess she was jus one odd person who refused to teach. =)
There's always a;

somewhere. :( :(

SIA Cabin Crew Gal

what cld be e chances...

Post by SIA Cabin Crew Gal » Wed, 30 May 2007 11:35 am

guess what guys...
on my most recent flight i flew with that bitchy LSS XXX again!

what luck!

thk gdness i didnt werk with her la.
She werked in fwd / 1st class
However she zapped all her crew big time...

poorthings! anyway didnt mention anything until at the station.
coz sometimes u never know...
But true to her name, she was picking on all of them
non stop.

on the leg back to sin. she stopped over in my galley where i was
eating cup noodles n asked me y was i eating cup noodles,
and whether theres no more main courses.
i said there was but it was heated up to long ago
n was very dry...

she then zapped me for eating cup noodles! said i was depriving
pax of food n all tht.

ARGHHH

gross

sQ-StEwaRd-ShazNi
Chatter
Chatter

Re: what cld be e chances...

Post by sQ-StEwaRd-ShazNi » Wed, 30 May 2007 11:59 am

SIA Cabin Crew Gal wrote:guess what guys...
on my most recent flight i flew with that bitchy LSS XXX again!

what luck!

thk gdness i didnt werk with her la.
She werked in fwd / 1st class
However she zapped all her crew big time...

poorthings! anyway didnt mention anything until at the station.
coz sometimes u never know...
But true to her name, she was picking on all of them
non stop.

on the leg back to sin. she stopped over in my galley where i was
eating cup noodles n asked me y was i eating cup noodles,
and whether theres no more main courses.
i said there was but it was heated up to long ago
n was very dry...

she then zapped me for eating cup noodles! said i was depriving
pax of food n all tht.

ARGHHH

gross
I think she has a problem up 'there'.... :lol: :lol:

Won't she ever stop?? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

bLiSs-LiCioUs
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bLiSs-LiCioUs » Wed, 30 May 2007 2:11 pm

haha... maybe i will reply her ' oh i am so sorry. you wanna have my share instead?'

then will be blacklisted by her big time from then... :D