Singapore Expats

NEXT SIA RECRUITMENT: 21st-22nd APRIL =)

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Venezia

Post by Venezia » Fri, 25 May 2007 10:40 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience with all of us, i think those newbies will find it very helpful.

salvana
Chatter
Chatter

Post by salvana » Sat, 26 May 2007 2:44 pm

hey autumn-reverie,

So u are ready to give up ur study (degree) for this job?
May i know why? I'm juz wondering wat's ur answer to the qns during ur management interview?
are abt to finish ur degree or juz first few semester?

Well well... I do wish u all the best...

Thanks in advance.
Cheers n Ciaoo....
Dreams Do Come True

bLiSs-LiCioUs
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bLiSs-LiCioUs » Sat, 26 May 2007 8:04 pm

hi everyone!
i'm new to this forum.

i will be going for the interview on 3rd june. can anyone tell me if they really very critical about the bmi? u heard they accept bmi of 22 and below. but i am currently 22.1. :oops: trying hard to lose the 0.1 before next sunday.
hope someone can let me know this.

thanks in advance! :D

autumn-reverie
Regular
Regular

Post by autumn-reverie » Sat, 26 May 2007 11:29 pm

salvana wrote:hey autumn-reverie,

So u are ready to give up ur study (degree) for this job?
May i know why? I'm juz wondering wat's ur answer to the qns during ur management interview?
are abt to finish ur degree or juz first few semester?

Well well... I do wish u all the best...

Thanks in advance.
Cheers n Ciaoo....
Hi Salvana!
haha yes i would, but it'll be great if i can still complete my degree next time, not very 'safe' to have just an A-level cert in Sg :)
i guess the reason being this is a rare job to come by, to be able to work with the best inflight crew and see the world. i would also love to save the money earned during flying to fund my uni education so i won't have to burden my parents :)

haha nope i haven't started! got my placing in NUS supposed to start in Aug.

thanks babe! all the best too, i hope you'll try out for the June 3rd interview, no regrets i promise you :kiss:

autumn-reverie
Regular
Regular

Post by autumn-reverie » Sat, 26 May 2007 11:36 pm

bLiSs-LiCioUs wrote:hi everyone!
i'm new to this forum.

i will be going for the interview on 3rd june. can anyone tell me if they really very critical about the bmi? u heard they accept bmi of 22 and below. but i am currently 22.1. :oops: trying hard to lose the 0.1 before next sunday.
hope someone can let me know this.

thanks in advance! :D
Hey dear,
don't worry too much. it'll be good to lose some weight just to be on the safe side but ultimately i feel it's your overall image, body proportion that matters. besides curvaceous girls look great in the kebayas! :D

salvana
Chatter
Chatter

Post by salvana » Sat, 26 May 2007 11:59 pm

Yoo... autumn-reverie

Thanks for the respond. :D
Ouw... ic... well, as for my case it's rather different.... I'm currently taking my part time degree... still in 2nd sem.... 2 more sems to go...
So, kinda wondering how to to answer if I were posted that qn..... :o
(somehow I juz falling in love wif this job... but the otha part of me wouldn't agree if I give up on my study) :?

Ouw yeah...btw, there's this girl in my class who's an FA.... so, I was wondering how she cope with the schedule... (our program's timetable isn't fixed for every semester.... )
Perhaps you may consider taking part time degree after a few yrs of flying? :D

Cheers n Ciao...
Dreams Do Come True

bLiSs-LiCioUs
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bLiSs-LiCioUs » Sun, 27 May 2007 11:09 am

thanks autumn-reverie!!

really hope to get through it the first time! :D

autumn-reverie
Regular
Regular

Post by autumn-reverie » Sun, 27 May 2007 11:11 pm

salvana wrote:Yoo... autumn-reverie

Thanks for the respond. :D
Ouw... ic... well, as for my case it's rather different.... I'm currently taking my part time degree... still in 2nd sem.... 2 more sems to go...
So, kinda wondering how to to answer if I were posted that qn..... :o
(somehow I juz falling in love wif this job... but the otha part of me wouldn't agree if I give up on my study) :?

Ouw yeah...btw, there's this girl in my class who's an FA.... so, I was wondering how she cope with the schedule... (our program's timetable isn't fixed for every semester.... )
Perhaps you may consider taking part time degree after a few yrs of flying? :D

Cheers n Ciao...
Hi Salvana,
haha you're welcome dear :D hm.. since you're already mid-way through your degree, it'll be good if you can finish it first, otherwise your hard work will be wasted. i do agree with you that studies are important :)
that sounds like a great option, i'll definitely bear it in mind. Thanks for sharing! :kiss:

Dylla
Regular
Regular

Post by Dylla » Mon, 28 May 2007 9:50 am

autumn-reverie wrote:Congrats shibbybides!
it's really nice of you to write such a comprehensive post on the interview process :D i'm sure those going for the upcoming interview will find it very useful.

i went for the last recruitment (21st April) and have been helped a great deal by so many wonderful people on this forum (thank you so much esp M, Intrinsic Dreamer, Dylla, thinkerbelle, buzzzybeebee!) Like shibbybides, i would like to share my experience and hope it'll help others :)

For the girls, the process is like what shibbybides wrote+ the kebaya round.

During the walk-in interview held at the hotel, there was 3 rounds.

1) Group of Ten
Qn posted to us: What do you plan to do this weekend?
Honestly, i was a little stunned as i was expecting qns like 'why do you want to join SIA'. Don't worry too much abt memorizing what to say as the question can be unexpected like in my case. Just keep smiling and be confident, ultimately, the way you present yourself may be more important that the content of your speech :)

Passing rate for my group: 3/10

2) Kebaya Round
the staff in there measured our height and weight, then we had to pick a kebaya hung on the rack and quickly change into it. There were no sizes on the kebayas so we have to estimate the size and pray it fits (mine was too tight lol). If it really doesn't fit and time permits, quickly find another one. Have to pick a pair of sandles too :)
After that we were told to hold a tray and walk around 10m across the room to another staff then turn and walk to the side too. It'll be good to keep your posture straight and keep smiling :) The lady then asked me whether i had applied for SIA before and the furthest round i got to.

Next, we headed to a beautician at the side. She had 2 big white lamps and asked me to turn to my left, right, back (check the neck area) and stretch out my hands. I was trembling very badly but the beautician was really nice and told me 'Don't worry, you're okie.'
Lastly, we changed out of the kebayas and waited for the results.

Passing rate for my group: 9/10

3) 1 to 1 Interview
My interviewer was a young lady and she was again really nice, kept smiling :) She asked me questions like
- How i got my present job
- Am i willing to give up my studies for SIA
- How long i forsee myself in this job
- Encounters of difficult customers
- My family's reaction to me wanting to join SIA

After that had to read an english passage (mine was about a baggage carousel :D) If successful, the lady will hand you a slip of paper to go outside and choose your date for Water confidence.

Passing rate for my group: Around half

Total time spent at the hotel, from 8.30am to around 2.30pm :)

4) Water-confidence
(mine was 2 weeks after the initial interviews but there are earlier dates)
It's the same as what shibbybides mentioned except no stripping to trunks :P
i really thought i'll get kicked out in this round as i'm afraid to take the jump and i have bad skin especially on my back. but don't be afraid as it's not very high (less than 3m above the water surface) and we have life-vests :D i hesitated before jumping which is bad as your fear will set in but i told myself: 'i'm not going to let myself get kicked out cause i'm afraid to jump!'
Plop! before i knew it i was in the water, it's actually quite fun :D

For the skin check, we had to walk towards a lady, turn round, then walk back to her. She will then check our skin, should be looking out for scars/tattoos. The skin-check was really fast, around 2 min including the walking :)
After that, we showered, changed and waited for the results.

Passing rate for my group: around 22/24

5) Management Interview
The interviewers (1 lady, 1 man) didn't ask me specific questions on SIA, but my group-mate was posed inflight scenerio-based questions. It was like a casual chat and the atmosphere was quite relaxed but don't forget it's still an interview, i got carried away and slipped in a few lahs and lors. :oops:
Questions asked:
1) Whether i got a placing in a uni
2) Whether it was worth giving up my uni education for a job that may not be permanent (heard air-stewardess have a max of 15 yrs), reminding me that it is tough to survive in Sg without a degree.
3) What i consider as a 'bad' customer
4) Whether my family supported my decision

The questions are pretty similar to the 1-1 interview but with senior management personnel so have to be more aware of body language and presentation. For my interview, the man asked most of the questions while the lady seemed to be focusing more on my body language. If i'm not wrong, she was writing notes through the interview. Looking back, i felt that i had not maintained more eye-contact with the lady which is a bad point. I think it'll be good to make an effort not to 'neglect' any of the interviewers :)
After that, had to wait 5min for the results (nerve-wrecking as always lol) If successful, we'll have a letter asking us to do medical check-up at an appointed doctor. We also have to fill in a form on bank account info.

Passing rate for my group: 3/4

i'm currently waiting for my medical results and anything can still happen.. (glup) but no matter the end result, i am really grateful for everyone on this forum whom has helped me. It's been a blessing finding so many like-minded people who have a dream to join SIA. The camaradie is no doubt encouraging! Let's keep this spirit going and i sincerely hope all of us will be able to achieve our dream! :love:

PS: sorry i edited this post a few times, found many grammer/spelling mistakes. If there are others i missed out i'm sorry *blush*

Hey Babe..Thanks for the sharing...though i dun tink im trying out this coming 3rd of June..Wait till i lose a few more pounds then maybe i'll consider trying again..

Niwae, Congrats on ur achievement..I'm really happy for you..all the bez..And most of all enjoy flying~

joyfulpapaya
Regular
Regular

Post by joyfulpapaya » Mon, 28 May 2007 1:28 pm

2) Kebaya Round
the staff in there measured our height and weight, then we had to pick a kebaya hung on the rack and quickly change into it. There were no sizes on the kebayas so we have to estimate the size and pray it fits (mine was too tight lol). If it really doesn't fit and time permits, quickly find another one. Have to pick a pair of sandles too :)
After that we were told to hold a tray and walk around 10m across the room to another staff then turn and walk to the side too. It'll be good to keep your posture straight and keep smiling :) The lady then asked me whether i had applied for SIA before and the furthest round i got to.

Next, we headed to a beautician at the side. She had 2 big white lamps and asked me to turn to my left, right, back (check the neck area) and stretch out my hands. I was trembling very badly but the beautician was really nice and told me 'Don't worry, you're okie.'
Lastly, we changed out of the kebayas and waited for the results.

Passing rate for my group: 9/10

=====================
wow...the passing rate for my group for the kebaya round was only 2 or 3/10..

autumn-reverie
Regular
Regular

Post by autumn-reverie » Mon, 28 May 2007 10:45 pm

Hey Dylla,
thanks for your encouragement, i wouldn't have made it without you! :kiss:

Hey Joyfulpapaya,
haha honestly i was a little surprised but happy, as i had heard that the kebaya round was hard to pass. Before the SIA staff handed us our results, she singled out one application form. everyone in the group thought only one of us had passed. The other girls were fully deserving but i passed solely by God's grace! :)