Singapore Expats

Can you tell...

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Can you tell...

Post by Kats_ » Fri, 18 May 2007 10:12 am

off-hand without using your gizmos...

- Where and when your weekly team meetings are held?
- Your conference call codes
- Your cousin's birthday
- Your neighbour's handphone number
- Your bank account numbers
- The postal code of the place you resided 5 years ago
- 16 times 14 equals?

I was having this discussion with my friend whom I used to tease stating that she is suffering from Nimesia (given her name starts with N..) as she used to forget things much more easily.

We used to joke that I am her hard disk storing all the info and that her memory's just the cache...

But lately I have experienced this too. My memory isnt as sharp as it used to be when I was say, 20?

We concluded that it is only since we arent excercising our memory thanks to all the black-blue-pink berries, outlook-SMS-alerts and other gizmos with alerting capabilities.

We loose brain cells when we dont put them to use. The good news is, we regain them by excercising the brain cells.

What say you? Forgetting something? :)

Kats
tonton toto, ton thé t'a t-il ôté ta toux?

muratkorman
Chatter
Chatter

Post by muratkorman » Fri, 18 May 2007 10:48 am

Try Sudoku Kats. Many numbers in different combinations, good exercise for the brain :) Learning a foreign language is also a very good exercise they say. I also agree with you that we use technology in every field of our lives and taking the load from the brain.
With my kind regards

Murat Korman

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Kats_ » Fri, 18 May 2007 11:15 am

Sudoku is fab Murat. Caught my attention for a while. I gave up after installing it onto my mobile..when my eyes started to hurt!

I should go get myself a Sudoku book.

J'apprends le langue Francais maintenant et J'aime le langue beaucoup!!!

Then again our brain has several sections and we need to train each of them regularly
- The memory section which I am talking about
- The relationship section (ability to relate things - artists/poets)
- Visual (The architects, artists etc excel at these.
- Logical (which I think we are best at as engineers)

I would like to find a tool to support the memory section specifically. ;)
Last edited by Kats_ on Fri, 18 May 2007 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

muratkorman
Chatter
Chatter

Post by muratkorman » Fri, 18 May 2007 11:19 am

I think it is quite useful especially when you try advanced/expert levels of Sudoku. Many alternatives to choose from and many variations to calculate. For memory part, there should be some games designed just for this purpose. Check through internet and you are likely to find some interesting websites. Please share with us after your search.
With my kind regards

Murat Korman

Rich D
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Rich D » Fri, 18 May 2007 8:31 pm

I suffer the same memory problem although I am old fashioned and write things down (I have never had a pen or piece of paper fail me when their batteries wore down). I am noticing it now when I am trying to grasp the rudiments of another language and have to write everything I am told down straightaway or it is lost.

To keep the brain active I prefer cryptic crosswords because they also help to retain my vocabulary - quite an issue when you are living overseas and most people are using English as a second language so you tend to avoid more uncommon words.

Sudoku is good though, and I shall revert to it when I go so ga-ga that I need reminding of how to count from 1 to 9.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Kats_ » Fri, 18 May 2007 9:28 pm

Rich D wrote: Sudoku is good though, and I shall revert to it when I go so ga-ga that I need reminding of how to count from 1 to 9.
:D :D

Rich D
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Rich D » Sat, 19 May 2007 9:46 pm

I used to be able to count to over 20 but since I chopped off a foot to be able to wear orphaned socks again I can only make it up to 16!
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Kats_ » Sun, 20 May 2007 6:17 am

Rich D wrote:I used to be able to count to over 20 but since I chopped off a foot to be able to wear orphaned socks again I can only make it up to 16!
Have you tried sticking the leg back and then trying to count again?