Singapore Expats

Full HD LCD TV Recommendation

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
zratter

Full HD LCD TV Recommendation

Post by zratter » Wed, 09 May 2007 8:51 pm

Guys,

I know this topic has been discussed before. But I am really confused. I am thinking of buying a Full HD LCD TV but I don't know which brand is the best (Sony? Samsung? Hitachi? Panasonic? LG? Phillips? Sharp?) Can you recommend which brand (and series of that brand) is best and reasonably priced and why that make is your choice? Looking at 40" to 46" screen. Thanks for the help!

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Sun, 13 May 2007 10:13 am

It's subjective to your tatse. What do you want to watch? Sports movies.
All screens are not equal. There's a lot dependant on the hardware "in" the screen and it's ability to up or down scale the image for you.
I've seen screen that do a great job with HD but normal TV signal looks crap.
If you get a proper HD TV ie 1080. you need to make sure the resolution is genuine 1080 ( dont fall for the HD ready BS)

At the end of the day it's down to personal choice thats why i'd go to a shop that has a lot of TV's set up and working next to each other so you can see the actual image.

Ask them to show you true HD and then ask to see a standard cable TV image and a DVD player etc etc

Good luck

TG

Post by TG » Fri, 18 May 2007 5:34 pm

if you want to watch socer, get one with a fast refresh rate - 6 ms or 8 ms so that you could see the action.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Thu, 07 Jun 2007 11:20 pm

Justto keep you all updated on the technology advancement, this seems to match the picture quality of a CRT, although it will be very pricy with lmass production in the 3rd quarter. but at 120 Hz, it appears to be promising!

AUO e-News June 6, 2007

AU Optronics Unveils Taiwan's First 65-inch FHD 120Hz LCD TV Display

AUO 65¡¨ TV Panel
AU Optronics Corp. ("AUO") (TAIEX: 2409; NYSE: AUO) today unveiled Taiwan's first 65-inch Full HD 120Hz LCD TV panel, claiming it to be the world¡¦s second able-to-be-commercialized 65-inch LCD panel, and to reach CRT- and Plasma-like image quality in motion picture response time. AUO¡¦s successful launch of its 65-inch LCD panel demonstrates Taiwan-based panel maker¡¦s epoch-making capability of producing larger than 60-inch LCD TV panels. AUO will be debuting its 65-inch FHD 120HZ LCD TV panel at Display Taiwan 2007, from June 13 to June 15, in Taipei.

AUO¡¦s 65-inch Full HD LCD TV display is equipped with HDTV 1920x1080 high resolution, ASPD 120Hz driving technology for motion blur reduction, AMVA*1 superior wide-viewing angle technology, and HiColor saturation technology. With ASPD double frame rate 120Hz technology, AUO¡¦s 65-inch LCD TV panel has achieved a faster response time of 4 ms gray-to-gray and 8 ms MPRT*2 , allowing for excellent motion picture quality display. It also features AUO AMVA technology for color washout improvement at large viewing angles, HiColor technology for wide color gamut of NTSC 92%, high contrast of 2000:1, true 10 bit gray scale for better image processing quality in displaying billions of colors (1073.7M), 64 times better than 8 bit color depth performance. The end results in excellent display quality performance.

¡§It is expected that large-sized LCD TVs with features of Full HD, high resolution, and double frame rate 120Hz will go mainstream,¡¨ said Dr. David Su, Sr. VP & GM of TV Display / Consumer Product Display Business Groups of AUO. ¡§With the addition of 65-inch Full HD panels, AUO is able to offer customers TV panels featuring Full HD and ASPD 120Hz driving technology in the sizes of 42-, 46- and 65-inches.¡¨

Two 65-inch panels can be economically cut via AUO¡¦s G6 fabs in the Lungke Science Park and the Central Taiwan Science Park, and it is estimated that mass production will commence in 3Q07.

*1 AMVA stands for AUO Advanced MVA technology
*2 MPRT stands for Motion Picture Response Time

Specification of AUO 65-inch FHD LCD TV Panel (T645HW01)

Resolution HDTV (1920 x 1080)
Frequency 120Hz
Viewing Angle (H / V) 178¢X / 178¢X
Response Time (ms) 4 (gray to gray)
Contrast Ratio 2000:1
Color saturation 92% NTSC
Number of colors 1073.7M (10 bit)
Backlight CCFL
Brightness (cd/m2) 500

Dobski
Regular
Regular

Post by Dobski » Sat, 16 Jun 2007 8:39 pm

I went for the Sony Bravia full HD 46" - v happy with it, but you do pay for the brand.

audiojunky
Chatter
Chatter

Post by audiojunky » Mon, 25 Jun 2007 3:45 pm

Dobski wrote:I went for the Sony Bravia full HD 46" - v happy with it, but you do pay for the brand.
Hi - do you mind me asking how much did it cost you and where did you get it from? Is it 1080p?

Also did you have to bargain with the price?

I've been to a bunch of places looking for Sony TVs and they all quote diff. prices for the same TV - and some are QUITE RUDE!!!

Dobski
Regular
Regular

Post by Dobski » Tue, 26 Jun 2007 11:23 am

yup - 1080p

Harvey Norman

got a wall mount bracket, Sony home cinema and Sony hard disk TV recorder thingy chucked in - all for $8k

(that was about 4 months ago, so you may be able to do better now)
Last edited by Dobski on Wed, 15 Aug 2007 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 06 Jul 2007 3:19 am

Update on LCD technology faults in motion blur, contrast and backlight 120hertz should correct the motion blur.

http://www.digitimes.com/displays/a20070705PD208.html

postie

Post by postie » Thu, 23 Aug 2007 3:54 pm

Hi,
threat is bit older but maybe others are interested

I just bought a Sony KLV-40X200A full HD, paid 3999 SGD which was a display sey. I recommend always to ask if you can get a display set. For sure you need to check if everything is fine. I found even a 46" for 4999 but was too late when I took the decision to go for Sony. The picture is great, had no much possibilities to perform different tests and adjustments.

The best price I got was from Parisilk (Holland Village) for 5025 SGD, they really have good prices.

I initially wanted to go for Philips but they are far too expensive and they currently do not have full hd with pixel hd3.

Samsung has the more up to date technology providing 3 HDMI sockets, but you just get them with the black glossy design (dust, finger prints) which my wife refused to clean ;) but they are usually cheaper.

Cheers