Singapore Expats

Plastic and cosmetic surgery abroad

Everything about beauty enhancement discussion.
Badboy

Post by Badboy » Sat, 12 May 2007 10:25 am

I just wanted to chime in here to dispell what I consider misinformation about the safety of goretex and its history of use as an implant for rhinoplasty.

Fact #1: Goretex has been used in the human body as early as 1971 - that's 36 years of history as an implantable material in the human body. It was mainly used for vascular surgery (to replace blood vessels). So in that regard, goretex has a long history of safety.

See http://www.emedicine.com/ent/topic376.htm

Fact #2: Although Dr. Jung and Dr. Chuang have only been using goretex for the last 6-7 years , it's actually been used for nasal augmentation for at least 10 to probably 18 years. A 10-year medical study of 309 patients who underwent nasal augmentation with goretex was published in 1999. The results showed a 1% infection rate for primary rhinos and a 5% infection rate for revision rhinos (vs. 3% for silicone). Since the study was published in 1999, you can infer that the actual surgeries took place around 1989 - that's 18 years of history as a nasal implant.

See http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... s=10937089

Although goretex has been used as a nasal implant for almost 20 years, it hasn't come into widespread use until the last decade. In my opinion, that's because any new surgical discovery or technique takes a while to be widely adopted and accepted in the medical community. In that regard, Asia, especially Korea, has taken the lead with adopting goretex, but the US is slowly following suit. Several episodes of Dr. 90210 show high-priced Beverly Hills plastic surgeons using goretex for nasal augmention. Dr. Samuel Lam of Texas uses goretex exclusively for rhinoplasty, and explains his reasons for doing so on his Web site. He's written textbooks on the subject. See http://www.lamfacialplastics.com

I've yet to encounter a doctor in Korea, Taiwan, or the US who say that the implant (silicone or goretex) needs to be replaced down the road; it's meant to last a lifetime, so some of the comments in this forum that a certain implant type can only last so long aren't based on facts. And I want to give some comfort to those us of who have undergone the pain and expense of having rhinoplasty (with silicone or goretex) from being scared or regretting the decision they've made.

The gist of all this research is this: goretex has the edge on safety over silicone with regard to infection, extrusion, shifting, calcification, and shrinkwrapping, but silicone is the safer implant for removal or revision rhino. In the end, the decision of implant type is a personal choice for which criteria is more important to you.
Last edited by Badboy on Sun, 13 May 2007 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

appletree
Chatter
Chatter

Post by appletree » Sat, 12 May 2007 11:39 am

Hi Badboy,

Thanks for sharing with us such a useful information on goretex. =)
I think this piece of informations really do ease my mind now. keke :P

grumpy99

Thanks

Post by grumpy99 » Sat, 12 May 2007 2:52 pm

[quote="who"]Ok…. So here’s a long entry to come…

First, let me start off with the easy stuff.

Taiwan is pretty fun… lots of shopping and cheap food, although, where the hotel and clinics are… it’s very expensive…. Lol… I even took a picture of 30 US dollar bunch of grapes in Sogo grocery store. But, if you go elsewhere in Taiwan, shopping can be pretty fun. Food in general should be pretty cheap… like a few bucks for some great stuff.

Both docs know broken English and charged me the exact amount that they said they would.

They give a pretty good exchange rate for the US dollar at the Taiwan airport (Tau Yuan).. about 32.9 TWD=1 USD
You can also just call your credit and debit card companies to tell them that you’re going to be in Taiwan, and just use that too… although, there will be an additional charge from the clinics and the card companies.

Ok… the eyelash surgery is pretty awesome… no regrets at all about that. The only thing that concerns me is some paranoia… afraid lost some of my own lashes, the implants won’t take hold… but I’m just being paranoid.
It’s minimally invasive (least serious type of surgery)… you just put a robe on over your clothes… for more serious like nose, you undress and put robe on.
The technique that Dr. Jong from LRclinic did it is the same way that the US docs does it… with the curved needle thing… I watched part of the procedure as he was sewing…
The procedure itself can be a little scary though… it’s done under local… First, they give you 6-7 shots of anesthetics to a little section located on the back of your scalp… then, after a few moments, they cut that section off… put the section into some stuff that keeps it alive, and then stitch you up… (this is the only difference between Dr. Jong’s procedure and US’s… Dr. Jong uses a black stitch that needs to be removed a week later, and the US uses a dissolvable one… The dissolvable one leaves a scar for sure… but since it’s the back of the head amidst hair, most people don’t care)… I honestly don’t feel a bald spot right now… which is a little weird.
Then, they send you to the rest room where you watch a little tv or just lie there in anticipation… while they section the roots of the hairs through a super microscope or something… about 2 hours…
Then… they bring you back and give you anesthetic to your eyelid, put eyeguard (like a thick contact lense into your eyes) and start sewing it in one by one… It starts to hurt a little at the end when the anesthetic wears off… but it’s bearable… but during most of it, you just feel it, but no pain… really weird…
Your eyes will be bruised for the first 2 days… and then it’ll start disappearing like crazy.. at least for me, it did.
Dr. Jong put about 50 eyelashes onto each lid which is a lot compared to what most docs can put… but this is his standard…
Towards the end of it, I was getting pretty annoyed, partly because of the little bit of pain and that I had been on the table for almost 1 and half hours by then under a thick warm blanket.. but he kept saying he had to make it make perfect and “mimi”

takuda
Chatter
Chatter

Post by takuda » Sat, 12 May 2007 3:58 pm

Badboy wrote:I just wanted to chime in here to dispell what I consider misinformation about the safety of goretex and its history of use as an implant for rhinoplasty.

Fact #1: Goretex itself has been used in the human body as early as 1971 - that's 36 years of history as an implantable material in the human body. It was mainly used for vascular surgery (to replace blood vessels). So in that regard, goretex has a long history of safety.

See http://www.emedicine.com/ent/topic376.htm.

Fact #2: Although Dr. Jung and Dr. Chuang have only been using goretex for the last 6-7 years , it's actually been used for nasal augmentation for at least 10 to probably 18 years. A 10-year medical study of 309 patient who underwent nasal augmentation with goretex was published in 1999. The results showed a 1% infection rate for primary rhinos and a 5% infection rate for revision rhinos (vs. 3% for silicone). Since the study was published in 1999, you can infer that the actual surgeries took place around 1989 - that's 18 years of history as a nasal implant.

Although goretex has been used as a nasal implant for almost 20 years, it hasn't come into widespread use until the last decade. In my opinion, that's because any new surgical discovery or technique takes a while to be widely adopted and accepted in the medical community. In that regard, Asia, especially Korea, has taken the lead with adopting goretex, but the US is slowly following suit. Several episodes of Dr. 90210 show high-priced Beverly Hills plastic surgeons using goretex for nasal augmention. Dr. Samuel Lam of Texas uses goretex exclusively for rhinoplasty, and explains his reasons for doing so on his Web site. He's written textbooks on the subject. See http://www.lamfacialplastics.com

I've yet to encounter a doctor in Korea, Taiwan, or the US who say that the implant (silicone or goretex) needs to be replaced down the road; it's meant to last a lifetime, so some of the comments in this forum that a certain implant type can only last so long aren't based on facts. And I want to give some comfort to those us of who have undergone the pain and expense of having rhinoplasty (with silicone or goretex) from being scared or regretting the decision they've made.

The gist of all this research is this: goretex has the edge on safety over silicone with regard to infection, extrusion, shifting, calcification, and shrinkwrapping, but silicone is the safer implant for removal or revision rhino. At the end, the decision of implant type is a personal choice for which criteria is more important to you.
Great job there Badboy! Thanks for the detailed yet summarised information, i'm sure it will help us to choose the material better. Thanks!
Cry when you get ripped.

who
Regular
Regular

Post by who » Sun, 13 May 2007 4:58 am

Badboy,

I agree with everything that you have said... :)
hope your nose is very handsome now! :)

Badboy

Post by Badboy » Sun, 13 May 2007 9:03 am

who wrote:Badboy,

Thanks Who! At 8 weeks postop, I am very happy with my new nose, and it has really improved my self-confidence.

Congratulations on your surgeries! Hope you have a smooth and speedy recovery, and that you enjoy your new prettier look.

tanjhj
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tanjhj » Sun, 13 May 2007 3:08 pm

Badboy wrote:I just wanted to chime in here to dispell what I consider misinformation about the safety of goretex and its history of use as an implant for rhinoplasty.

Fact #1: Goretex has been used in the human body as early as 1971 - that's 36 years of history as an implantable material in the human body. It was mainly used for vascular surgery (to replace blood vessels). So in that regard, goretex has a long history of safety.

See http://www.emedicine.com/ent/topic376.htm

Fact #2: Although Dr. Jung and Dr. Chuang have only been using goretex for the last 6-7 years , it's actually been used for nasal augmentation for at least 10 to probably 18 years. A 10-year medical study of 309 patients who underwent nasal augmentation with goretex was published in 1999. The results showed a 1% infection rate for primary rhinos and a 5% infection rate for revision rhinos (vs. 3% for silicone). Since the study was published in 1999, you can infer that the actual surgeries took place around 1989 - that's 18 years of history as a nasal implant.

The gist of all this research is this: goretex has the edge on safety over silicone with regard to infection, extrusion, shifting, calcification, and shrinkwrapping, but silicone is the safer implant for removal or revision rhino. In the end, the decision of implant type is a personal choice for which criteria is more important to you.
Very well written, easy to read and well researched article.
Golden Rules of PS:
1)If it aint broken, dun fix it / dun fix what u dun need
2)Perfect individual features usually dun yield perfect face
3)Work on your confidence 1st

hello84
Regular
Regular

hello anyone wan to go thailand??

Post by hello84 » Sun, 13 May 2007 8:17 pm

hello everyone after re-read some of the old post frm page 1 - 250 i had relise that thailand is quite a good choice to go for plastic surgery.. for mi i found that is cheap and the doctor there is experience compare to singapore... eg. like Dr Somsak (www.kasemrad.net) , Dr Preecha (www.pai.co.th), and Dr Sukit frm yanhee hospital... although Dr Sukit only do simple implant, but can tell tat he is a safe doctor... so i will go to thailand around july or august... the doctor i still have not decided in my list there is only this three doctor.. if anyone feel like going with mi free feel to PM me... thanx alot..:)

suemei
Regular
Regular

Post by suemei » Sun, 13 May 2007 8:40 pm

Hey guys haf anyone of u heard this clinic before?
Cinderella Plastic Surgery Clinic
It's in south korea and d name of the doctor is Dr.Chung

suemei
Regular
Regular

Post by suemei » Sun, 13 May 2007 8:45 pm

Full name of the doctor is Chung Jong-pil

I can't find his website online :(

If there's anyone of u heard of this clinic and also d name of doctor. kindly share wid us here ! hehehe

Cuz fr wad i've read from other forum, This doctor is famous in south korea..

Maybe i'm too noob in searching :( hence i kenot find any :oops:

gia02
Regular
Regular

healing...

Post by gia02 » Sun, 13 May 2007 9:20 pm

who wrote:Badboy,

Hey who,

Good to hear about your experience, u back in singapore? I had my op with Dr. Chuang on Thursday am and the highlight of the day was Dr. Chuang telling me that i slept right on the procedure on local anestesia which started at 2pm and woke up at 930!!! I remember waking up drowsy n disoriented but went back to sleep!!!!
The girls in the clinic are awesome and helpful n called me sleeping beauty...seriously that was one great slumber indeed lol. Then i went back to hotel in a daze...

Now,i do seriously need advise about the healing process from forumers here that has undergone rhino n yourself...

1. I need to know the downtime of swelling n how to minimise it, does it feel itchy too?

2. Isit okay if i take the plaster off and when do i remove the stitches?

3. Any precautions to take note after surgery? Like abstaining from chilli n all?

4. I have an event this friday, it will be a week after my surgery, how many percent will the swelling has subsided? Or is this a case of individual?

I am looking forward to your feeback n advise very muchxxx
regards,

gia

gia02
Regular
Regular

eyelash implants

Post by gia02 » Sun, 13 May 2007 9:22 pm

Sorry i missed out on this, anyone can recommend a good surgeon for this eylash implan? Just wanna learn more about it, thanks!
regards,

gia

gia02
Regular
Regular

slideshow

Post by gia02 » Sun, 13 May 2007 9:45 pm

Hey imjase,

was browsing thru n watched the slide, u look great.. Good on ya!!!!

i cant wait to see my new nose...my nose was very caucasian, i wanted to look oriental...lets see where this takes me...

Gia02xoxo

cupid^n^starz wrote:
imjase wrote:
cupid^n^starz wrote:
Can you share a little bit about the chin? I'm wondering if you have any problem difficulty to close the mouth?it seems not. congrat once again!

Yeah my nose is still swollen at the tip and middle bridge part but its going down each day and gets more sharper and defined. Also the top part of the bridge is gradually shaping (before I did think it was too high)

My wound I recovered without any problems and just have 1-2 dissolvable stitches to fall out. Currently I still can only open my mouth a restricted amount like 3 cm but it is still a bit numb around the chin and nose area but this numbness is decreasing each day.

I'm just happy I did not really run into any infections which I was worried about. Thanks for the compliment, I'm still not quite adjusted to my look and the psychological impact of adjusting to my new face. For me the change is quite large.
Blessed of you dude!
Yeah! infections is really mess with us. You will not want to feel it!
again congrat!
Now, hopefully you could accept your new look soon as the real one of your brand new improved face !! :wink:
regards,

gia

takuda
Chatter
Chatter

Post by takuda » Sun, 13 May 2007 10:48 pm

hey there gia how much did u spend on accomodation?
Cry when you get ripped.

lotus

My DIY makeover begins...

Post by lotus » Sun, 13 May 2007 11:41 pm

Last edited by lotus on Sat, 02 Jun 2007 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.