Singapore Expats

TomTom GPS car navigation system

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Yutenji
Chatter
Chatter

TomTom GPS car navigation system

Post by Yutenji » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 10:43 am

Any users here? Either TomTom's own device or on PDA?

Just started using (TomTom Go 910) and seems pretty good, but interested in building a small group in order to apply pressure to TomTom for map updates for Singapore.

Cheers

fflloorreenntt

looking for similar info!

Post by fflloorreenntt » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 2:37 pm

did you buy TomTom for PDA? how does it work?

Yutenji
Chatter
Chatter

Re: TomTom GPS car navigation system

Post by Yutenji » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 4:11 pm

Yutenji wrote:Just started using (TomTom Go 910)
The TomTom Go 910 is their own device. Looks physically like the Garmin boxes (c310 thru c340) but a bit wider.

Generally good, but of course in Singapore the issue is that the roads keep changing :shock: and therefore the maps are out of date. Hence my desire to build up a sufficiently large group that we can apply some pressure for more regular updates.

Yutenji
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Yutenji » Thu, 16 Nov 2006 4:19 pm

Yutenji wrote:therefore the maps are out of date. Hence my desire to build up a sufficiently large group that we can apply some pressure for more regular updates.
Further to this, I think that TomTom have withdrawn support for the Singapore maps. I can't find any reference to these on the website.
:mad:

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Thu, 16 Nov 2006 5:06 pm

Yutenji wrote:Any users here? Either TomTom's own device or on PDA?

Just started using (TomTom Go 910) and seems pretty good, but interested in building a small group in order to apply pressure to TomTom for map updates for Singapore.

Cheers
If you don't mind me asking what is the price of the Tom Tom 910 in Singapore and where did you purchase. I tried Sim Lim but couldn't find it.

Yutenji
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Yutenji » Thu, 16 Nov 2006 10:28 pm

ksl wrote:If you don't mind me asking what is the price of the Tom Tom 910 in Singapore and where did you purchase. I tried Sim Lim but couldn't find it.
I also haven't seen it in Singapore. I bought mine in the UK. There is one small place on the ground floor of Sim Lim that seems to have the widest range (but still not many)
Given the limitations I mentioned above, I'm sad to say I wouldn't recommend this product if your main usage would be in Singapore. They used to have maps for Australia too, but I suspect those have disappeared too.
Cheers

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 17 Nov 2006 1:35 am

Yutenji wrote:
ksl wrote:If you don't mind me asking what is the price of the Tom Tom 910 in Singapore and where did you purchase. I tried Sim Lim but couldn't find it.
I also haven't seen it in Singapore. I bought mine in the UK. There is one small place on the ground floor of Sim Lim that seems to have the widest range (but still not many)
Given the limitations I mentioned above, I'm sad to say I wouldn't recommend this product if your main usage would be in Singapore. They used to have maps for Australia too, but I suspect those have disappeared too.
Cheers
Are you wanting to sell it, I will be going back to UK shortly, if the price is attractive, I may have a buyer. I've seen it in UK for 399, and was hoping it would be Cheaper here.

Yutenji
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Yutenji » Sat, 18 Nov 2006 7:13 pm

ksl wrote:Are you wanting to sell it, I will be going back to UK shortly, if the price is attractive, I may have a buyer. I've seen it in UK for 399, and was hoping it would be Cheaper here.
I'll think about that. My wife is still happy to use it (if nothing else, it is a surefire way to get home from anywhere). I also started to get a better response from TomTom regarding updates, though nothing concrete yet.
Cheers

DutchAndre

TOMTOM map of Singapore - anybody?

Post by DutchAndre » Sat, 24 Mar 2007 7:18 pm

I have brought my TOMTOM device from Europe to Singapore, but do not even have the (outdated) map of singapore.

Is there anybody who wants to sell or knows a way to obtain the map?

Cheers,

Andre

Yutenji
Chatter
Chatter

Enter Job Title

Post by Yutenji » Sat, 24 Mar 2007 9:37 pm

DutchAndre wrote:Is there anybody who wants to sell or knows a way to obtain the map?
Andre, you 'should' be able to buy/download the map from their website. I did this after I bought the device. Having said that, I then found that the website changed and I think they are trying to very quietly drop support for Singapore / Hong Kong. it can be difficult to locate the right part of the website and/or locate whether Singapore is still a supported location. Emails to their contact centre may (or may not) help. If nothing else, it'll be good to have another voice adding pressure for them to keep the maps up to date.
I think the maps are serialised in some way so that it wouldn't work on your device if I gave you a copy of my map.
Good luck and let me know how you get on.
[UPDATE TO THIS TOPIC BELOW - 18 April]
Last edited by Yutenji on Wed, 18 Apr 2007 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

AdamC
Regular
Regular

Post by AdamC » Sun, 25 Mar 2007 2:18 am

maybe you wanna get a dealership from TomTom into Singapore n Malaysia & partnership ? :D

Yutenji
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Yutenji » Wed, 18 Apr 2007 11:32 am

AdamC wrote:maybe you wanna get a dealership from TomTom into Singapore n Malaysia & partnership ? :D
Not a bad idea, though my encounters with their head office discourage me from wanting to have very much to do with them at all :x

As an update to my earlier post ... they have now admitted that the Singapore map has been withdrawn as a "business decision" and that it 'may' be reinstated in the future but no date is given.

Although they've been pretty obnoxious about this, in fairness I suspect they have to pay 'someone' in Singapore (LTA, URA?) for the data and there probably aren't enough users here to justify the cost. Of course, now they've shot themselves in the foot, because without up-to-date data, they won't get many more users. A classic chicken-and-egg situation.
It's a real shame, because the device itself is really good. Sigh. :roll:

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Wed, 18 Apr 2007 12:09 pm

I still think you're better off with Garmin as there is a local user group that keep the maps up to date and it's free !!!! doesn;t get any better than that :D