Singapore Expats

Starhub wants a $250 deposit?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
mootet

Starhub wants a $250 deposit?

Post by mootet » Thu, 01 Jan 2004 4:24 pm

Hi guys,

Hoping you can help as I dont know if Im getting cheated.

Went to get Starhub hooked up and the guy claimed that because Im on an Employment Pass he has to ask for a $250 deposit that I get back at the end of the contract. HE says PRs and citizens dont get asked for a deposit.

IS this true? Did other expats have to put a $250 deposit? This sounds like a bloody ripoff to me and I dont know if the guy at Starhub was just trying to get money out of me because he saw a "filthy ang moh".

Gippy

Post by Gippy » Thu, 01 Jan 2004 5:24 pm

Could be possible, the deposit would probably act as a secutiry for them in the event any expat ( in this case on a EP status), gets deported, and doesn't not pay his bills...would be difficult for them to trace back to where one may be, so the deposit would probably be a nominal security for them to make up for any unpaid bills?

That's my assumption...perhaps if I am wrong, someone can enlighten.. 8)

Gippy

Post by Gippy » Thu, 01 Jan 2004 5:27 pm

Mootet,

why not sign up with SingTel? they are more prominent and the packages are almost similar to Starhub. Furthermore, their local coverage is good.

Just my thought..

prodigy

Re: Starhub wants a $250 deposit?

Post by prodigy » Thu, 01 Jan 2004 5:33 pm

mootet wrote:Hi guys,

Hoping you can help as I dont know if Im getting cheated.

Went to get Starhub hooked up and the guy claimed that because Im on an Employment Pass he has to ask for a $250 deposit that I get back at the end of the contract. HE says PRs and citizens dont get asked for a deposit.

IS this true? Did other expats have to put a $250 deposit? This sounds like a bloody ripoff to me and I dont know if the guy at Starhub was just trying to get money out of me because he saw a "filthy ang moh".
are you referring to the starhub cable tv? if so, then what the salesperson told you would be true..see thread at the following

http://cabletv.starhub.com/eng/faq/0,1168,,00.html

I think it's normal for them to ask for a refundable deposit. it would be returned at the end of the day anyway.

mootet

thanks

Post by mootet » Thu, 01 Jan 2004 5:48 pm

Thanks for all the helpful replies! I feel much better now :)

zen

Why not use international phonecards

Post by zen » Sat, 06 Mar 2004 3:01 pm

Salutations,
I've got this deal where I'm in access to phonecards with face value of S$10, but I'm selling at only S$8.50. Long term wise, you get to save a neat bundle of overseas calls. You can drop me a Sms on my hp at
9384 8579. I travel frequently, so better to sms me. Hope to hear from you, sir!!