Singapore Expats

Plastic and cosmetic surgery abroad

Everything about beauty enhancement discussion.
appletree
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Gore-tex

Post by appletree » Sat, 14 Apr 2007 2:33 am

Hi coby,

Hmmm... it really worries me much after reading ur post... does goretex only can last for up till 25 yrs? Does it means that its similar to permanat fillers which can only last up till 10 yrs? ( Whereby fillers are still rather new in e ps market)

Oh no... so ones have to be put under e knives for something which is not permanant? :???:

Coby wrote:Hey Ecila and Usernameblah,
I'm going to have a rhinoplasty with Dr. Jung, too. Someone asked him on his website that how long would gore-tex last, and he said he's been doing it for 6 years and see no problems at all. Only 6 years? How about 7 years or 10 years or 20 years later ? Hmm... Eventhough some research found on Google.com said that Gore-tex can last for 25+ years, but in reality, it's only been used in plastic surgery in the recent years. And one of my relative who has been working for the biological research institute told me that sientists mostly post their research only when they have good results --> bad results r probably not announced yet.
Soo... I'm kinda... worried. :P Gore-tex will make the nose look nice and natural, but it's hard to reverse, too.
Anyway, hopefully it will last for a life-time as the Doc. said. Praying...

aadvark
Manager
Manager

Post by aadvark » Sat, 14 Apr 2007 3:51 am

mynose! wrote:hey guys
if you just wanted to raise the height of the bridge, with no L or I implants how do they go about doing that?
my fren went to do locally, inject and mould wan, but can only last 2-3 yrs

Coby

Hi

Post by Coby » Sat, 14 Apr 2007 11:48 am

Usernameblah, I will go there by the end of July.
Ecilia, are you in Seoul right now? or next week? He only charges you for $3500 USD? Awwww... He told me the price was set at $4000. I think Dr. Jung is kinda famous in Korea and Asia. I first read about him from the Times onine magazine or .... from an American newspaper, I don't remember, when they talk about the rate of growth in plastic surgeries in Asia. And they called him a "Nose Guru" :>
So you've already found a place to stay for 2 weeks? Can you share the websites of those guesthouses or motels, plz? Thanks.
By the way, can someone tell me what the difference between a guesthouse and a motel is? A guesthouse is where you will rent a room and share the bathroom, kitchen, ect. with the owner's family, right?
Appletree, I hope Gore-tex will last longer than 25 years, but if it lasts for exactly 25 years, it's ok then. At that time, we would be old enough to have another if that ever happened. At least it's better than silicon and other kinds of implants. In case you wanna use your own cartilage, then you won't have to worry about rejection. However, it will absorb like crazy. I know a patient of Dr. Jung who used rib cartilage for the bridge, at first that person was very happy, after 1 year, it just... looked flat.
Oh yeah, here is what I 've found about Gore-tex:

Synthetic implants: Gore-Tex — yes, the stuff your raincoat is made of — is shaped into pliable strands that can be implanted under the skin through two small incisions. A newer, purportedly softer version called Softform comes as a hollow tube made of a synthetic material similar to Gore-Tex.
Use: To fill deep wrinkles and long scars, and plump lips
Duration: Permanent, but as the face continues to age, the benefit diminishes.
Pros: Longer-lasting results than biologic injectables and implants.
Materials have been used safely for more than 20 years in a variety of medical implants including heart valves and sutures.
Requires no skin test so there’s no need to wait for the first treatment.
Can be used by people with bovine allergy.
Cons: Requires a minor surgical procedure.
Can result in small scars at incision site.
Some patients complain the implants don’t look or feel natural. Material can be palpable to the touch.
Can begin to extrude in areas that move a lot, like the mouth, and the edges can become visible.
Potential side effects/complications: Redness swelling, bruising, firmness, tenderness, discoloration, infection, scarring, bumps under the skin and allergic reaction. Risk of puncturing blood vessel during procedure.
Source: http://www.msnbc.com/modules/cosmetic_s ... .asp?p=all

How long do PTFE and ePTFE implants last?
PTFE and ePTFE implants are permanent. However, they can be removed if infection occurs or if the augmentation is no longer wanted.

Are there any side effects from PTFE and ePTFE implants?
Implants are usually well tolerated. You can expect some discomfort directly after the implantation. There may be some swelling, aching, and numbness but these usually resolve after a week or so.

The following complication may rarely occur:
Infection of the implant site
Extrusion (part of the implant comes through the skin)
Induration (hardening of the area operated on)
Seroma (dense pocket of fluid below the skin)
Inadequate healing
Overcorrection or undercorrection
Source: http://dermnetnz.org/procedures/polytet ... ylene.html

ecila

Post by ecila » Sat, 14 Apr 2007 12:22 pm

Hi coby,

My flight is tonight. 11.50pm. I'll go see Jung on Monday. and look around the others. Starting to have doubts. I've emailed other doctors as well and they said i need only a little of bridge implant thats all. No need tip or what. =s It's like, i want my nose to be the nicest feature on my face or maybe second to my eyes. But they are telling me ... abit of bridge????? what's abit of bridge????? kao. Then better off not do right. Use highlighter to brush the side make it look taller can already.

Sorry for my intonation. Pretty pissed.

Wanting to go Jung all along because he can make feminine yet prominently nice noses.But recently, when i browsed through the recent surgeries on his websites , i noticed there are many patients whose noses looked deformed due to couple of plastic surgery on their noses before. It gets me going jittery and freak out for that instant.Will that be what my nose look like after ten years or maybe 5? What if by that time, i cant get a better doctor and it will be permanent damage not only physical but emotionally as well. Dr jung does mention the ear cartilage for the refining of tip but when i ask about the complications , he didnt reply me???? Well, i'm still going to see him anyway. At least take a photo with him also suang.

Accommodation wise. There are mainly three types. Budget, mid range and top end. For me i look for budget. In my opinion , guesthouses are mostly traditionally korean styled and can range between budget (17ooowon to 100 000 won or more depending on the suites you choose). Motels give me the idea that it's rundown hotels. Dimly lighted and unwanted noises will be heard during the stay.

Anyway i checked out the places i want to stay. The twin haus fully booked. That's the best place i've been eying since it's five stops only from gangnam. Seoul Guest house (40 000 won/night ..very nice place) no space for my 2 weeks stay too. Tea guest house and kims guest house only have spaces from 17th for my 2 weeks stay. Tried a few others but ended up in Seoul backpackers.(17 000 won) ha. I guess i just need a place near the airport to unload my luggage and i can run around already cause I'm having 2nd thoughts of the jung surgery. If after consultation I still decide to do it then i'll stay at their guest house which Ocean111 has suggested and quoted the price is around sgd50.

tanjhj
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tanjhj » Sat, 14 Apr 2007 2:12 pm

ecila wrote:Hi coby,

My flight is tonight. 11.50pm. I'll go see Jung on Monday. and look around the others. Starting to have doubts. I've emailed other doctors as well and they said i need only a little of bridge implant thats all. No need tip or what. =s It's like, i want my nose to be the nicest feature on my face or maybe second to my eyes. But they are telling me ... abit of bridge????? what's abit of bridge????? kao. Then better off not do right. Use highlighter to brush the side make it look taller can already.

Sorry for my intonation. Pretty pissed.

Wanting to go Jung all along because he can make feminine yet prominently nice noses.But recently, when i browsed through the recent surgeries on his websites , i noticed there are many patients whose noses looked deformed due to couple of plastic surgery on their noses before. It gets me going jittery and freak out for that instant.Will that be what my nose look like after ten years or maybe 5? What if by that time, i cant get a better doctor and it will be permanent damage not only physical but emotionally as well. Dr jung does mention the ear cartilage for the refining of tip but when i ask about the complications , he didnt reply me???? Well, i'm still going to see him anyway. At least take a photo with him also suang.

Accommodation wise. There are mainly three types. Budget, mid range and top end. For me i look for budget. In my opinion , guesthouses are mostly traditionally korean styled and can range between budget (17ooowon to 100 000 won or more depending on the suites you choose). Motels give me the idea that it's rundown hotels. Dimly lighted and unwanted noises will be heard during the stay.

Anyway i checked out the places i want to stay. The twin haus fully booked. That's the best place i've been eying since it's five stops only from gangnam. Seoul Guest house (40 000 won/night ..very nice place) no space for my 2 weeks stay too. Tea guest house and kims guest house only have spaces from 17th for my 2 weeks stay. Tried a few others but ended up in Seoul backpackers.(17 000 won) ha. I guess i just need a place near the airport to unload my luggage and i can run around already cause I'm having 2nd thoughts of the jung surgery. If after consultation I still decide to do it then i'll stay at their guest house which Ocean111 has suggested and quoted the price is around sgd50.
it is good to be careful. if in doubt dun do.

most important is u must be comfy with your doc and trust him else even the best doc will freak u.

as for doctor not replying you. sometimes i have this problems not replying my emails when the traffic gets heavy and i may miss one or two reply. therefore, i always ask doc again if he doesnt reply within 1 week + or call him. i feel more assuring spking to someone on the phone.

Good Luck on your Journey and PS surgery..Take care!
Golden Rules of PS:
1)If it aint broken, dun fix it / dun fix what u dun need
2)Perfect individual features usually dun yield perfect face
3)Work on your confidence 1st

tanjhj
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Hi

Post by tanjhj » Sat, 14 Apr 2007 2:26 pm

Coby wrote:Usernameblah, I will go there by the end of July.
Ecilia, are you in Seoul right now? or next week? He only charges you for $3500 USD? Awwww... He told me the price was set at $4000. I think Dr. Jung is kinda famous in Korea and Asia. I first read about him from the Times onine magazine or .... from an American newspaper, I don't remember, when they talk about the rate of growth in plastic surgeries in Asia. And they called him a "Nose Guru" :>
So you've already found a place to stay for 2 weeks? Can you share the websites of those guesthouses or motels, plz? Thanks.
By the way, can someone tell me what the difference between a guesthouse and a motel is? A guesthouse is where you will rent a room and share the bathroom, kitchen, ect. with the owner's family, right?
Appletree, I hope Gore-tex will last longer than 25 years, but if it lasts for exactly 25 years, it's ok then. At that time, we would be old enough to have another if that ever happened. At least it's better than silicon and other kinds of implants. In case you wanna use your own cartilage, then you won't have to worry about rejection. However, it will absorb like crazy. I know a patient of Dr. Jung who used rib cartilage for the bridge, at first that person was very happy, after 1 year, it just... looked flat.
Oh yeah, here is what I 've found about Gore-tex:

Synthetic implants: Gore-Tex — yes, the stuff your raincoat is made of — is shaped into pliable strands that can be implanted under the skin through two small incisions. A newer, purportedly softer version called Softform comes as a hollow tube made of a synthetic material similar to Gore-Tex.
Use: To fill deep wrinkles and long scars, and plump lips
Duration: Permanent, but as the face continues to age, the benefit diminishes.
Pros: Longer-lasting results than biologic injectables and implants.
Materials have been used safely for more than 20 years in a variety of medical implants including heart valves and sutures.
Requires no skin test so there’s no need to wait for the first treatment.
Can be used by people with bovine allergy.
Cons: Requires a minor surgical procedure.
Can result in small scars at incision site.
Some patients complain the implants don’t look or feel natural. Material can be palpable to the touch.
Can begin to extrude in areas that move a lot, like the mouth, and the edges can become visible.
Potential side effects/complications: Redness swelling, bruising, firmness, tenderness, discoloration, infection, scarring, bumps under the skin and allergic reaction. Risk of puncturing blood vessel during procedure.
Source: http://www.msnbc.com/modules/cosmetic_s ... .asp?p=all

How long do PTFE and ePTFE implants last?
PTFE and ePTFE implants are permanent. However, they can be removed if infection occurs or if the augmentation is no longer wanted.

Are there any side effects from PTFE and ePTFE implants?
Implants are usually well tolerated. You can expect some discomfort directly after the implantation. There may be some swelling, aching, and numbness but these usually resolve after a week or so.

The following complication may rarely occur:
Infection of the implant site
Extrusion (part of the implant comes through the skin)
Induration (hardening of the area operated on)
Seroma (dense pocket of fluid below the skin)
Inadequate healing
Overcorrection or undercorrection
Source: http://dermnetnz.org/procedures/polytet ... ylene.html
i believe the posting abt goretex is for Lip or deep wrinkles and fold fixing where goretex is in thread form rather than I implant or custom shape.

i dig out 1 site for reference

http://www.emedicine.com/ent/topic376.htm
Golden Rules of PS:

tanjhj
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Gore-tex

Post by tanjhj » Sat, 14 Apr 2007 2:41 pm

appletree wrote:Hi coby,

Hmmm... it really worries me much after reading ur post... does goretex only can last for up till 25 yrs? Does it means that its similar to permanat fillers which can only last up till 10 yrs? ( Whereby fillers are still rather new in e ps market)

Oh no... so ones have to be put under e knives for something which is not permanant? :???:

Coby wrote:Hey Ecila and Usernameblah,
I'm going to have a rhinoplasty with Dr. Jung, too. Someone asked him on his website that how long would gore-tex last, and he said he's been doing it for 6 years and see no problems at all. Only 6 years? How about 7 years or 10 years or 20 years later ? Hmm... Eventhough some research found on Google.com said that Gore-tex can last for 25+ years, but in reality, it's only been used in plastic surgery in the recent years. And one of my relative who has been working for the biological research institute told me that sientists mostly post their research only when they have good results --> bad results r probably not announced yet.
Soo... I'm kinda... worried. :P Gore-tex will make the nose look nice and natural, but it's hard to reverse, too.
Anyway, hopefully it will last for a life-time as the Doc. said. Praying...
Appletree and all,

i have posted abt the goretex implants earlier but lazy to find the pages of info again. :lol:
FOr me, i am very happy if the implants can last for 20 years or more. as u know implants are non organic thus there will be wear and tear and it cant regrow itself thus i am willing to redo my PS in my forties to "renew" the implants and also change implants that suit my looks of my age.
no artificial implant last forever loh.

however i want to make known that some ppl are fine with their silicone implants till they die but i have seen some aunties with deformed nose implants from their PS in the 70's and 80's or overly high bridge or nose job that doesnt grow old with them due to the implant (imagine a young woman nose on a 50 year old woman, where her other face looks her age)

all artificial implant will have it pro and cons. even silicone will calcify after 20 years or so. it becomes hard and deformed.... calcify and resemble the small calcifications often associated with cancer cells. Or, worse, calcifications that are associated with cancer may look harmless
Golden Rules of PS:

cupid^n^starz
Chatter
Chatter

Post by cupid^n^starz » Sat, 14 Apr 2007 3:09 pm

tanjhj wrote:Hmmm from this pic can see Jolin did her nose and Lipo her face..

her looks changes alot and now she look like aunties... sometimes we "must not judge the looks till the final stages. she rooks the best in her 72 changes" album when she just did her PS..

thus a good doc is very important..
Oh My God... Look at those scars on her cheeks... get to much fat reduced but get by poor surgeon skillfull.. the end result is that scary lumping is visible.. oh God..wondering, is she know bout it?
She's Popular as an Imitator of hamasaki Ayumi . I know cos im ones of ayumi's fans. =p

cupid^n^starz
Chatter
Chatter

Re: My before & after photos of nose implant & alarp

Post by cupid^n^starz » Sat, 14 Apr 2007 3:11 pm

yen2006 wrote:Hi takuda, Jass82 & black creamer,

I have attached my before & after photos of my nose implant done 30dec 06 & just did my alarplasty 2 weeks ago at KALO jb.

http://img297.imageshack.us/slideshow/p ... 99vli.smil

I still have abit of swell at the tip, hopefully it subsides soon keke :P

Black creamer,

how are you recovering?

rgds
yen
Yen,.. you nose is gorgeous! do you have the frontal ones? When all the healing and swelling have subsided you will look even better. Congrats on your surgery and good luck!

cupid^n^starz
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Dawn Yang/Yeo

Post by cupid^n^starz » Sat, 14 Apr 2007 3:20 pm

aadvark wrote:Can you tell what exactly Dawn Yang did to her face from these pictures?
http://www.kennysia.com/archives/2005/1 ... y_face.php
My fren is an ardent fan of Dawn's PS and wants the same done to her.

For the uninitiated, Dawn is so popular after her (alleged) PS, she is now working for MTV asia. Talk about investment and returns!
aadvark, I already sent u msg in msn. did you receive it?

If your friend is fans of dawn's plastic surgery, so she should have very-very-very 'sensitive' aethetic eyes. I mean is, She should be able to know what dawn have done 'spesifically' . ex. all poeple already know if her eyes and nose and jaw is change noticeable but not all people what procedures or whats can make her eyes not just bigger but also looks cauasian. its 'sensitive' eyes of your friend should know once when she looks dawn pictures before and after without asking or hear from other poeple or ps first. if you know what I mean..? I know not all poeple is able to see it detailed, I'm afraid if the end result is not like what she expected then. not saying I have most great aethetic eyes, personally I'm just perfectionist. thats all. Theres no word 'unrealistic' in my dictionary. I just need to try it ,find it-harder and spending more time.. for the money ofcourse =p
If you still interest whats dawn yang have done, well let me tell you bout her Face all i know ya. just her face. not included her body- its too long

- Forehead re-sculpting and augmentation ( can be with silicone or bone cement pmma or gore tex) with incision top of your head Ear To Ear. and scar remains it ( bi-coronal incision)

-Brow lift (to rasied to brow till get the ideal and balanced brow shape. and it help for the open eyes too)

- Fat grafting into her eyebrow or similar substances .

- Eyebrow hair transplants and eyelash transplant ( her after eyebrow is much lush than the before eventhough it draw with pencil makeup)

- double eyelid - epicantho - lateral cantho + salivary gland tacking to minimzed the dropy eyes. ( its eyes procedures need more than just 1 time operation to create thoose eyes)

- Open rhinoplasty re-buliding the nose ( implant, bridge colummela, refinement,etc... )

- cheek bone shaving to minimize the chubby face ( motsly Lateral -witdh area )

-liposuction cheeks ( shave is not enough from what i see in her before)

- Jaw bone shaving and massater musce shaving (or botox)

-chin implant or sliding genioplasty

-and finally get Bonding and Veneers for The teeth to get 'Stars Smiles'

How is it? and the cost? count by urself ya? he...

Talking bout invesment and returns, yeah you're right. When its all getting done and right, I know it's a lot of money for my face too, but I view it as an investment in myself that I feel will payoff exponentially personally and professionally. To me, there is no better time to get these procedures done than when I am young because I will have more time to enjoy them. a lifetime investment! Ha..! :wink:

appletree
Chatter
Chatter

Post by appletree » Sat, 14 Apr 2007 4:37 pm

Omg... i wont want to go under the knives when im in my 40s! :(

So silicone will last lor, keke... then i think i beta dun do goretex liao.

If not permanant then still must go under the knives, then i think fillers are beta sia, no need go under the knives ..just by injecting can liao.. waooo!
Last edited by appletree on Sun, 15 Apr 2007 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sat, 14 Apr 2007 4:49 pm

cupid^n^starz wrote:
tanjhj wrote:Hmmm from this pic can see Jolin did her nose and Lipo her face..

her looks changes alot and now she look like aunties... sometimes we "must not judge the looks till the final stages. she rooks the best in her 72 changes" album when she just did her PS..

thus a good doc is very important..
Oh My God... Look at those scars on her cheeks... get to much fat reduced but get by poor surgeon skillfull.. the end result is that scary lumping is visible.. oh God..wondering, is she know bout it?
She's Popular as an Imitator of hamasaki Ayumi . I know cos im ones of ayumi's fans. =p
Is this the female version of Mick Jagger!!? The jaw, mouth and teeth reminds me of him. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

ahmeilover
Chatter
Chatter

Hello

Post by ahmeilover » Sat, 14 Apr 2007 5:06 pm

Hello!! wahh... this jolin pic shows the scary part of hers..

Anyway Hello everyone!! vry long time nv come to this thread.. suddenly so many pple here.. hehe

I would like to find kaki to go and slim down my jawline together.. Anyone??

Jus nice i was tinkin whether wat kinda surgery did jolin did to slim down her face?? I wanna be like her!! Coz i got a fat face!!! anyone can help?

:D

ahmeilover
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ahmeilover » Sat, 14 Apr 2007 5:09 pm

black_creamer wrote:Heya
Today's PS was a breeze. :D My procedures were over in less than 2 hours (I did an otoplasty (pinning back ears) and alarplasty), rested for like 10min, then took a cab back with my hubby. Am already back working from home since lunch!

Jass - My 1st surgery was alright, but I guess what I really needed was an alar, more so than an implant, given that my bridge is already relatively prominent.

The effect of today's alar is not that obvious yet, but I like what I see so far (except for all the black stitches sticking out all over). Painwise, its almost non-existent, maybe like 1/10. The worst was the insertion of the needle to inject the anasthesia!!

Realised that I forgot to take before/after pix, but i do have those taken before my 1st rhino implant. Will share them with u once I am decent enough to take a pix. Maybe sometime next week, once the stiches come out.
jass82 wrote:Hi black_creamer,

sure.. will be looking fwd to seeing your pics! So your surgery is this wed, I'm sure you'll look fantastic. Was your 1st surgery up to your expectation? I kept seeing ps on tv and it looked perfect, was wondering if local doc able to reach at least half of that standard.. :?

black_creamer wrote:Hey Jass, mbk,

I guess the decision is made once u are at the reception counter and u arrange for a surgery date - you have to pay 50% of the surgery up front (non refundable), so there is really no turning back after that! :-|

Btw, 2 weeks is more than enough time to recover. I am expecting to have my stitches (for the alar) removed within the week, and to be out and about after that. (of cos recovery wld vary from person to person, but i think the sineech tablets they will provide does help. The last time when I went for the rhino, I also bought some gel-like cold compress from Guardian (some Japanese brand, for kid's fever), and bromelain (pineapple) tablets from the health pharmacy (GNC/Nature's Farm) to help reduce bruising/swelling.

Jass - will send u my final pix after this alarplasty surgery and the swelling is more or less gone. My rhino implant was too subtle, didn't see much of a change cos the bridge was raised just 2-3mm.
Hey creamer!!!

U still rem me??? So now what have u did to look pretty?? update me!! Oto?? Where u did it.. hehe... Cheers! :D

yen2006
Chatter
Chatter

Re: My before & after photos of nose implant & alarp

Post by yen2006 » Sat, 14 Apr 2007 8:09 pm

cupid^n^starz wrote:
yen2006 wrote:Hi takuda, Jass82 & black creamer,

I have attached my before & after photos of my nose implant done 30dec 06 & just did my alarplasty 2 weeks ago at KALO jb.

http://img297.imageshack.us/slideshow/p ... 99vli.smil

I still have abit of swell at the tip, hopefully it subsides soon keke :P

Black creamer,

how are you recovering?

rgds
yen
Yen,.. you nose is gorgeous! do you have the frontal ones? When all the healing and swelling have subsided you will look even better. Congrats on your surgery and good luck!
Hi cupid & stars,

thanks, can I know if kai yan tou will leave any scar? Do you have any scar after doing, will it get lighten or vanish after how many months?

I'm planning to do kai yan tou & redo my double eyelid maybe to 10mm, want to have big & sexy eyes :o :o :o

yen
:P