Singapore Expats

Who remembers Radio Caroline?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Who remembers Radio Caroline?

Post by Mi Amigo » Sun, 08 Apr 2007 11:56 am

If, like me, you are a Brit of a certain age (or of a different age or European extraction for that matter) you may remember listening to Radio Caroline in years gone by. What you may not realise is that they continued to broadcast from a ship in the North Sea until 1990, when a shipwreck on the Goodwin Sands and some very Orwellian UK legislation that was snuck in through the back door put an end to their marine activities.

However, the station continues to broadcast via satellite and the internet, and they even managed to rescue the ship, which is being restored for use as a pirate radio museum. Nowadays Caroline is run by volunteers and depends on donations and programme sponsorship to keep going. As a result the emphasis continues to be on playing a wide selection of good music, that you would be hard pressed to hear anywhere else.

Why am I mentioning all this? Just because this Easter weekend is Radio Caroline's 43rd birthday. If you want to find out more, go to:

http://www.radiocaroline.co.uk

There's a fascinating history section and also of course access to the programming online.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has any memories of the station from the 60's onwards...

greenrover

Post by greenrover » Sun, 08 Apr 2007 12:56 pm

Thanks for this - I listened in the 60s and to Radio London as well, some years after fighting a losing battle to listen to Radio Luxemburg under the covers on medium wave which faded and faded for hours at a time.

Caroline was fun and spawned many imitators.

Will check out the link

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Who remembers Radio Caroline?

Post by ksl » Sun, 08 Apr 2007 11:20 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:If, like me, you are a Brit of a certain age (or of a different age or European extraction for that matter) you may remember listening to Radio Caroline in years gone by. What you may not realise is that they continued to broadcast from a ship in the North Sea until 1990, when a shipwreck on the Goodwin Sands and some very Orwellian UK legislation that was snuck in through the back door put an end to their marine activities.

However, the station continues to broadcast via satellite and the internet, and they even managed to rescue the ship, which is being restored for use as a pirate radio museum. Nowadays Caroline is run by volunteers and depends on donations and programme sponsorship to keep going. As a result the emphasis continues to be on playing a wide selection of good music, that you would be hard pressed to hear anywhere els

Why am I mentioning all this? Just because this Easter weekend is Radio Caroline's 43rd birthday. If you want to find out more, go to:

http://www.radiocaroline.co.uk

There's a fascinating history section and also of course access to the programming online.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has any memories of the station from the 60's onwards...
This is great! Radio Caroline is worth saving, I remember it well back in the 60's one of the best stations around, love to hear it again!

Return to “General Discussions”